Ready for the Quilter, now.

This is Roland working on his substitute Moms quilt.. it and the backing are all ready for the quilter.. I think he's putting it on the leaders now. He wants Baptist Fan, huge feathers in the 8" border... It doesn't sound right to me. Suggestions? I think a block pattern, maybe Topper Circles in each block, meander in the white triangles, and then the borders.

RitaR

post--1346190225936_thumb.jpg

He worked and worked, ripped and resewed until his points and corners are nearly perfect.. Am so proud of him on this one.. the tiny 9 patch blocks I did then he decided he wanted to finish it and make it for Bernice. 89 years old so she will love it from her substitute kid.

Will let him carry on with what he thinks.. and wants. I think, lol something else would work better.

thanks for help/advice,

ritaR

Baptist Fans will certainly "get 'er done", but I can see a great big playground there. Just how much time do you want to spend quilting this?

Certainly feathers in those big borders, and you must put some in those setting triangles. CC the little 9patches, and a little play in the white sashings to compliment them. That leaves the big scrappy "pluses". Maybe Shannon or Kristina, or even Shana, could come up with a unique design to drop in there.

Have fun, and be sure to have himself sign a disclaimer before you begin the work. :P

Boy that quilt looks familiar. LOL.

You did a great job figuring out the pattern. It looks wonderful.

Let Roland do what he wants as long as you don't have to quilt it right.

Michele

PS, It's okay to tell him that isn't how I would quilt it though. LOL.

Thank you ladies. He is a very beginner on the quilting machine. I will do the feathers and maybe some cc's but he has to make the decisions. It's on the frame now, both were just too tired to start quilting tonight.

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, etc.. I will pass the info on to him, before he goes to bed.

Ritar

Thank you very much, Lisa.. I couldn't keep him out of my quilting, so let him start. This is his second quilt. He is really doing good. Since I told him a quilter that didn't frog his seams when needed, wasn't doing anything but make a mess. Not worth the money and time.

Thanks, Ritar

I can see all sorts of designs to put into this quilt...but since Roland has something in mind for it...I would just go for his idea.

I learned this the hard way with my kids' quilts. I can see a design that would look great, but have to take into consideration what my kids' are able to quilt. Very simple designs versus more complex designs that I envision. In the end...the quilts are beautiful. My kids know best what they can do.

so far I'm letting him do what he wants.. and it's not what he wanted to start with. Shocked me. anyway, it's looking good.

I've suggested two things I think would enhance the quilts to fill in, after he puts his ideas in, but so far, he's not responded, so don't know if he's thinking or already rejected the ideas. Still it's looking good.. Finished his main part today, now I've some work to do on it, then we both work together on the last element before we wash & block it then bind it.

IT's looking good.

RitaR

Archived