Dawn to the Rescue

You are all too funny! Here's the kicker...

After naming me Dawn, my parents actually toyed with the idea of naming another child "Dusk", but decided against it because it would have meant my younger brother would have been christened the name "Noon"! :)

Glad I could help make the loops go away!

Bonnie,

We usually advise you to insert the needle so that the eye is pointing straight toward you on the front of the machine. If you inserted a thin pin into the needle's eye, and then looked down on the needle plate at the pin, the pin would look like it is pointing toward "6:00" on a clock face.

Turning the needle just a smidge to the LEFT so the eye is closer to "6:30" repositions the needle's scarf (the indent on the back of the needle) so that as the hook comes around from the right, it catches the needle thread completely to form a stitch. If the needle happens to be a bit too far to the right, the scarf points away from the hook. That can cause the hook to hit the edge of the needle scarf, deflecting the needle just enough to pull the top thread out of alignment for making a good stitch.

Hope that makes sense!

Ok Dawn, maybe I'm a little dense here. Seems to me that if you put a pin in the needle and point it to 6:00, the pin will make a straight line vertically when you look down on it. If you point the pin to 6:30 isn't that the same thing?? The pin is still a straight line vertically when you look down on it. If you turn the needle to the left, then you are maybe at 6:35??

Wow, Debbi I think you're absolutely right! :)

I understood the explanation of Dawn and found it very helpful to keep in mind for future problems I may have, but I never thought about it in that way. You have very good clock-keenness ;):D

P.S.: I hope you girls will - al least most times - understand and never missunderstand, what I mean but sometimes I don't find the right words especially when I try to translate special phrases from German to English ...

Well, I just had to bring up the subject, now didn't I. Most of you seem to be "out of control". Thanks for all the laughs on this subject.

Dawn: I was also having trouble w/my thread catching in the bobbin assembly. Christie asked that I try to duplicate the problem then call her. Well, since we worked on the needle position, this problem seems to have disappeared. What do you think of that?

Archived