Steam Irons

I have a DeLonghi steam generator iron. I love it, it does a great job of getting out the wrinkles easily. If I had to find fault it would be that it does take a few minutes to heat up but it is well worth the wait. I can iron with ease things that used to drive me crazy because I just couldn't get the creases out. I bought mine from amazon.com, it kind of expensive but comes with a three year warranty. I haven't wanted to buy another iron since I got this one!

Sue

A few years ago I was looking for an iron with lots of steam and I bought a cheap Hamilton Beach Steam Storm believe me it can put out some steam and really heats to a steam quickly too. PRobably cost around 20 to 25 dollars cant remember exactly I just know it was pretty cheap. and it still works just great.

I'm sorry Starla...you asked me this question in a email, and I have been just running like a headless chicken the last few days.

BOTH of mine are Walmart specials....both are Black and Decker and one is the old style...and one a more modern one.... What I look for more than anything is how heavy the iron is before the water gets added. If the iron is a heavy one with a GOOd steel or teflon bottom with tons of holes it goes home with me. I have spent anywheres from $250.00 to $29.95 for irons over the years and the more expensive ones aren't always the best in my opinion. My Old Style Black & Decker doesn't have a automatic shutoff and its heavy....and if memory serves me right I spend about $29-39 for it at WalMart.

I had a tank iron once a VERY expensive one that the LQS was the dealer for...yes it stayed on some days over 14 hours underpressure, but I did think the hoses and stuff should have lasted longer than 11 months before they started to spring leaks and cause hot water showers in my studio. And the bad part about this whole thing was the dealer never did get replacement parts for me and then they sold the business and moved to Arkansas.... so I just threw it away.

I too have the Black and Decker Classic iron. I love mine. Paid under $30 for it. It heats up fairly quickly and is a heavyweight iron. I prefer it over any other iron I have ever owned.

I did however drop mine on a concrete floor and had a slight rough edge that caught fabric when I ironed...but I just took a metal nail file and lightly rubbed it out. Works like a charm.

I have a Rowenta Powerglide 2 and love it. It gets really hot and puts out a sufficient amount of steam. I know some people have had problems with Rowenta irons, but I have had mine for at least 4 years and it is working great. I use water from the reverse osmosis tap and empty it when I'm done with it. Bonnie, I tried a Black and Decker once, didn't like it and gave it to my niece for college. It didn't get hot enough and I decided Black and Decker should stick with what they are good at and that is tools :D

I also have the DeLonghi steam generating iron and it really puts out steam. Takes the wrinkles out really fast. I agree with Sue, the only downfall is it does take a bit of time to heat up. I use it everyday either to iron or to steam those generous quilts! I think I have had it about a year now and not one problem.

I checked amazon.com recently as I was telling someone else about the iron and the pricing has come down since I bought mine. It was well worth the money, IMO. I would buy it again if necessary.

I have the Euro Steam pro and love it. It is a heavy iron and gives off a lot of steam! What I love the most about it is that you can't scorch your fabric. The only thing that isn't my favorite thing about it is that it won't dry the fabric too quickly. For instance if you really add a lot of starch. I can do a light coat and it is fine so sometime I'll just do multiple coats or I'll spray the fabric and then throw it in the dryer for a couple of minutes. The wonderful part is that this iron really gets wrinkles out.

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

I too have the Black and Decker Classic iron. I love mine. Paid under $30 for it. It heats up fairly quickly and is a heavyweight iron. I prefer it over any other iron I have ever owned.

I did however drop mine on a concrete floor and had a slight rough edge that caught fabric when I ironed...but I just took a metal nail file and lightly rubbed it out. Works like a charm.

I have to agree I use the Classic one more than the other one.... I like everything about it...but I like that it doesn't turn off till I turn it off.

And yes dropping irons isn't a healthy thing for them....I was teaching a class at a LQS and the teachers had to provide all the rulers, irons and boards etc for the students...I had just bought to new irons....and they BOTH got dropped that first night and needed to be replaced. I was so po'd...its was bad enough when I would drop an iron, but to have two of them dropped in the same night and JUST out of the box, was a bit much for me.

I have an industrial iron, designed to be used by drycleaners or commercial laundries. It has a 10 litre tank. It cost me more than 4 times as much as my last iron with a tank but it just keeps on ironing with whatever amount of steam I demand where the more designer numbers just gave up. I don't love ironing so I don't love it BUT it is value for money. Downside no one else in my household an cope with the simplicity of it. Upside - therefore it is all MINE.

The supplier is local, they keep parts and they mend them. I think these are two features to look for. However it is difficult to imagine anything going wrong, it is more than study.

Originally posted by yankiequilter

I have a Rowenta Powerglide 2 and love it. It gets really hot and puts out a sufficient amount of steam.

I love my Rowenta. I bought mine from Bed Bath and Beyond with one of the 20% off coupons.:):) I have a cat that has knocked it off of the ironing board and it keeps running. I have had it for about 6 years. :D:D

I have been looking for an iron without steam. I find my black & decker steam iron is great for clothes but the small pieced blocks seem to get their corners caught in the holes. I find that spraying the fabric with water or starch works better for me with a hot iron.

Does anyone know where to get an iron without steam???

Originally posted by dbz98236

Does anyone know where to get an iron without steam???

When I'm looking for things I love Google. :)

Here's a dry iron, and you can probably find more without too much searching.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/browse/Home/Customer-Favorites/Household-Cleaning/Dry-Iron/D/30100/P/1:200:2020:20210/I/f06328?evar3=BROWSE

I have the same kind as Bonnie and I like the fact that it does not shut off until I shut if off. I have mine plugged into a surge outlet bar and with a click of a switch it's on/off. I use a mister bottle of water when I'm ironing top or bottoms otherwise I use the iron steamer when piecing. I also have a press steam iron I use on my completed block before I put them together....works great!

I have a Rowenta Professional Iron, love it.

It is a little more costly than some of the other Rowentas (about $60). Heats up quickly, has adequate steam & a "burst" of steam upon demand. Have owned this iron for at least 6 years with no issues. Does not have an auto shut-off. Weight of iron = on heavy side.

Best of luck choosing.

I have a Rowenta professional and love it. I specifically looked for an iron WITHOUT automatic shutoff and I hate having to wait for an iron to heat up everytime I am ready to press while I am piecing. Now for those of you who are saying you like the safey of your iron shutting off automatically, I bought a countdown to shutoff timer and I set it for however long I think I will be sewing. I can set it for 1, 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours.

I have 2 Rowenta steam generator tank irons.

The first one I bought in 2005 when I was taking my pattern fitting certification course. I was so thrilled with it I found I was carrying it from my sewing room to my laundry room.

2 weeks ago I found one at HomeSource for $40.00!! It's the new model and is refurbished but works great! Looked brand new and the box was sealed so I wonder if they just had to mark it as a refurbished one so it could be sold for that price. THey run about $200. usually!

I really like the steam they put out and also work as a dry iron with no leaks

Good luck on finding your perfect iron.

I have had 3 Rowentas, only the first one was good. I just rec'd my new gravity fed Silver Star steam iron and I'm loving how hot it gets and I haven't had it on the highest setting yet. I also love the feel, so I guess this ones a keeper, it's replacing my Elisio which was fine at first but now it's not getting as hot and only about 1 yr old.

Archived