Need ideas again......

Can we say HUGE.

You can get Koi clipart from the free sites and make your own stencil or drawing and follow it with a light. With this being as huge as it is..your going to have to fill it with a ton of fish or huge fish and then a background fill, of some sort.

Yikes! That huge green border does nothing for this quilt. What was she thinking??? What about breaking the huge border into sections, as if it were several different borders. Koi in the middle third, with straight lines (like SID) sectioning that off from the other parts of the borders, then a different treatment in the section closest to the quilt and a third design in the section closest to the edge? I really feel for you...this one is a real challenge.

Interesting size and color choice for the border...:)

My only contribution is, make sure when you stitch the koi that they look good "swimming" in the border as the border will lay on the bed. That is, that they swim back and forth along the length of the border and not across the short way. It may involve turning the quilt to be easier to stich so they look more natural.

Julie Mullin has a few aquatic patterns in her Earthlines: Natural Wonders pattern pack published by Golden Threads. They aren't koi, but they may give you some ideas for incorporating seaweed and other objects in with the koi.

I like Zora's idea of sectioning the green border into different elements. Perhaps starting at the top with widely spaced horizontal lines, then the koi, and finish off with a design that echoes a design element from the fabrics used in the blocks.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and that is what I always told myself when there was a quilt I didn't care for (and there were plenty!:o Sometimes I wonder what in the h*** were they thinking when they put their top together:P) But it does make it hard to quilt and be creative! Good luck:):P

Brandy, here is a water lily that would go with the koi. I'd do it on the top and in the pieced borders, and you could even do it in the green and place the koi here and there, not necessarily all over.

Also, I was looking at your webshots and am interested in your sun/moon/stars design. It's on the dark, black/gray quilt with the shooting star--title Celestial Stitches. Where did you get that design?

I found the water lily at Sweet Dreams Quilt Studio, Kim Diamond. She also has koi.

post--13461902505587_thumb.jpg

Archived