Fun and games NOT!!

I have this customer quilt which is just kicking my butt. The piecing is not the best and there is some fullness to work in, but I have had some that were just as bad, maybe worse, and haven't had this much trouble. Keep in mind that I loaded this quilt, did 3 passes and then had to go take care of dd and family when she had surgery and her dh had just broken his ankle. Came back Saturday night and quilted a bit Sunday and then again yesterday.

Last night I discovered why I am having so much trouble with quilting this quilt. I mentioned to dh that I would have to remember lower the hopping foot so when the person who is renting the machine comes over, it will be right for her. This customen likes thick batting in the quilt and she will be using a thinner batting. Well, dh said that he never raised the foot, did I? NO! We had both forgot that one of us should raise the foot before I started quilting on this thick batting. Guess after a string of quilts that whent very well, it was time for me to make a boo boo. We are now unquilting what I had done, as it looks awful. I had about 3/4 done. However, the bright side of this is that it will quilt much quicker with much less trouble and look a ton better when we are finished. Talk about STUPID!!

I have this mental list that I go through when I load a quilt and before I start quilting. Maybe it is time for me to write down this list and check it off as I go! :)

Originally posted by doodlebug

my hard drive (brain) is getting full and i have to write everything down now or i forget.

Well, you need to pack some of that garbage and purg it outta there.....your WAY to young to need a crib sheet to keep track of your day...:P

Well off to town the other voice won....

I need a check list too, some days more than once. :D Sheila, just so you don't feel so bad, I did the very same thing over the weekend and something much worse.

My machine has been making the most terrible noises and I could not track it down. Called Beth Saturday had her listen and she was a stumped as me. Decided to do a thorough cleaning again. I did not remove my needle plate last time I cleaned but had loosened it when I had to fix the needle bar after hitting a ruler and guess what, you guessed it, forgot to tighten the back screw down so it was the needle plate bouncing that made Alice sound like an 18-wheeler letting off its air brakes. Talk about red faced. So maybe I need a verrrry long check list:P

Hi Bekah,

Been there, done that! And in the middle of a class. I even went so far as to call Mark at the APQS plant and have him listen to it. I figured it out myself after I hung up, but had a red face for the rest of the class! At least my students knew what the cause of that noise was should they ever do that themselves! :cool:

Originally posted by doodlebug

my hard drive (brain) is getting full and i have to write everything down now or i forget.

My DH doesn't complain of his hard drive being full but that his Roledex is full! Now that dates him! He says when he learns something new something has to be tossed out. Hope he can find his way home! LOL!

Why don't we make a list in the FAQ's section? We could elect someone very experienced to start the list and email her/him with suggestions for the list. Just things to check before starting, things to watch out for during, and things to do when done. That person can start the thread and then keep editing it as needed to infinity.

I don't count 'cause I'm still a Wannabe....so I vote for Bonnie! :D

Oh yeah, you Reps and teachers need to participate here! ;D

Bonnie, honey, I threw you a curve ball!

Now, go start our list! Here, I'll go first.

First, you need a glass of wine and some chocolate to keep you happy while you stare at the quilt and wonder why it still needs to be ironed when your "How to prepare your quilt top for the longarm" handout clearly states that the customer should iron the top and backing before turning it in to be quilted.

Ok, I got you started, who's next? Bonnie, do you have your topic set up for this in the Faq's section? :D

Hearing all these comments made me realize I may not be the post-it queen, but surely I'm a close runner-up. :) I go through stacks of those wonderful yellow notes. Of course, now I have them in almost every color of the rainbow so I can color coordinate them to help me remember what I already forgot and why some are purple and others are orange, and don't let me forget the lime green ones......:)

How about double and triple check that the backing the customer gave you is actually big enough. It really sucks to get to the end of a king size quilt and find out your backing is 1" too short. Yes, I said 1". Do not ask me how I know:mad:

That will NEVER happen to me again:D

Catherine...to raise the hopping foot on the millies...you need a long, thin flathead screwdriver. Above the tension mechanism on the machine...is a small hole. Insert the screwdriver into it and ever so gently, find the screw. Loosen it, then raise or lower your foot, making certain to keep the foot straight as you tighten the screw.

Hope this helps. It took me forever to figure out where the screw was for the foot. :P

Archived