Rainbow or Lava?

Lava is a thicker thread than Rainbows. Lava was designed for Gammil owners in mind, apparently the Rainbows broke too much for them. I have tried Lava and really like it, but I prefer the Rainbows...more sheen to it.

Quote from Superior threads website.... "LAVA is a 35 wt. polyester, wonderful for all machines, whether home or longarm. For longarmers, LAVA is nicknamed "Rainbows for Gammills." LAVA is similar in color patterns to Rainbows, but is three times stronger, and has the same 1-inch precision dyed color change intervals."

I use Rainbows all the time with no problems at all....remember to loosen up the tension.

Hope this helps.

I haven't tried the LAVA yet. I have some Rainbows and tried it on a recent quilt. It was the perfect colors but I had tension issues and I was in a hurry to get the quilt done so I didn't take the time make the necessary adjustments. I'll have to try it with looser tension like Nadia suggests.

On a similar note, I tried Hilights on the last quilt I did and I really liked it. I think it's all solid colors though.

I like both.

Rainbows has a nice sheen and great, bright colors. It is a bit slippery, so starts and stops need to be very secure.

I find LAVA has softer colors, maybe this is because it is a bit less shiny.

They both run great on my machine. I use So Fine in the bobbin with them.

Signature makes a varigated cotton that is nice too.

Lisa Burghart

APQS Liberty/Circle Lord

NW NJ

I use both and love them both. A lot of my customers like the cotton look and Rainbows is too shiny for them I just used Lava on a Civil War Fabric quilt and it looked fantastic. I think you should try both and see what you like and what your machine likes! You can't go wrong with either, its the look you are looking for!

Have fun:cool:

Archived