Stupid Mistake!

Well Ladies, I did a stupid thing a bit ago. Needed to run up a bobbin on my on board bobbin winder, got carless about running the super fast speed (forgot to pull the thread out of the take up lever). I was useing clear monopoly thread, can you guess what happened? Yup, the thread worked it's way into the machine head and froze up the machine. Locked it up tight. I had to take off the side cover and dig it out with a pick and tweezers. What a mess, took me about 45 min. the fix the thing. I have a Gammill Classic Plus, you girls with the Millie may never face this, but belive me, you aren't missing anything!

Yuck! Invisible thread to boot.

I did a stupid thing too. Put a customer Quilt on the frame. This customer always has her backing perfect square and 4 inches extra all around, always, except this time. I didn't bother measuring the back cause she is always right on! So I get to the bottom and I am 1 " short. Good thing I am on zippers and there was a bit extra on the side. Stupid me! I will not take anything for granted anymore.

How about this for a mistake: I ran out of bobbin thread, replaced it, finished the quilt, pulled it off the machine--discovered that I replaced it with a different color! I've been doing "bunny" quilts for a customer and I put the same bobbin thread on that I had used on the previous quilt. Now I have to take out a whole section and re-stitch it...its not all that obvious; but I'd hate to send it off and have her ask why the colors are so different. Frustrating:mad:

Nothing would scare me like what happened to a friend in CA. She had two tops and two backings, a note pinned to each with a huge safety pin. got the quilts back, with a Big apology... the quilter took the pins out, set the two backs over on a side board, put the two tops stacked beside them. She picked up the top top, and a back, and quilted, repeated for the other and sent them off to Marlis. She'd mixed the backs to the tops. Gave Marlis half off of total bill and cost for batting. Marlis objected as she liked the combo of top and backing better than what she had originally planned. All had a good laugh, and the quilter finally split the discount she'd given Marlis, with her, and everyone was happy.

I'd love to see all errors end like that.

ritaR

Wed. I was going to get a quilt started...so I WD 40 the bobbin area...just as I was reaching to shut off the machine..I grab a piece of fabric to wipe off the drips...ya...it grabbed the fabric and I had the whole piece stuck in the bobbin area...I thought I was really done for it...got the seam ripper out and started to chunk out the fabric...eneded up taking the whole bobbin area apart...can ya beilieve it still works after all of thlat...gee..I really know better

The only 'stupid' mistake is one from which we learn nothing . . . . All other mistakes are PITB's, but part of the educational process. Sometimes I learn more from mistakes than from reading or hearing instructions.

Kay, I'm glad that you were able to dig out the thread and get the machine going again!

Lynn

Kay,

Don't feel bad, as we have all done something that turned in to a learning experience. I have to laugh, after 6 years of LAing, I finally sewed in a pin between the quilt top and the batting. Fortunately Myrna taught me a trick in a class a couple of years ago and I used it. It took me about ten minutes to get it out but I did it.

We have all been there. ;)

:P:P:P My worst mistake was getting a rag stuck in the hook when I was cleaning my machine first thing in the morning. Yep, blew the fuse, blew the timing, spent a couple hours cutting the rag out of the hook. Then had to re-time and find another fuse! Boy, my day was shot! I was new then, and thought I ruined my machine!!

Archived