what are your favorite methods.....

I'm really trying to branch out and do more then just pantographs. I've got the hang of free hand stipples and free hand loops (real hard, I know)

Tonight I used a stencil and fabric pencil and I get that part. Did a nice border. But when it comes to using a pattern for the center block (stylase on top of machine, pattern to the side, standing in front) they looked aweful!! The paper just didn't lay flat etc.

So I'm just curious, what methods do you use the most? Freehand everything, pantos, stencil and pounce pad/pencil etc..... And if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

I haven't tackled feathers yet.

Probably I use stencils the most. I love all of Pam Clarks stencils and love her methods. I would highly recommend her books and DVDS. Another great source of inspiration and doable designs is Deloa Jones & Jamie Wallens. I have to have a plan and guide and then I go for it. I've had to practice a lot but it is really starting to pay off!

I used Golden Threads yellow quilting paper to help get a specific motif inside a circle once--it worked quite well. Drew the design on the paper--4 times--needed to fill 4 spaces--then pinned the paper in place--stitched over my drawn lines and then you pick the rest of the paper off. Most of it will just come apart at your stitching lines.

If you have a design you want to repeat in lots of blocks, draw it once on construction paper, use your DSM and an unthreaded large needle to stitch around the design. Use the perforated paper and a foam brush to push pounce chalk (or Miracle Chalk) through the holes.

This homemade stencil will last a long time. Works best with white chalk--the blue has never been recommended here--hard and sometimes impossible to remove.

I have a pattern Port on my machine that sits on the leveler bar and the topper bar. It has a sheet of acrylic on it to hold a pattern in place. I drew out the wreath that I used on this quilt that I did a couple years ago. I used the laser light on the top of my machine and quilted from the front. As Shana would say - easy, peasy. Anyway, here are a couple of pics of that quilt. :)

2339986910094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

2370802470094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

Check out Loe's Pre-Design website. She has lots of recommendations and you can make your own designs/stencils, etc. Her software is "dirt cheap". I like to used stencils with miracle chalk or golden threads paper (I use basting spray to hold in place).

Originally posted by njquiltergirl

Bonnie mentioned KK2000...better than Sulky550 or the same?? I saw them both in a shop and one woman said one and another said the other!

Inquiring minds want to know :) :)

Thanks,

Lisa

Sorry Lisa I wasn't here yesterday. Both of them are great products, but the KK2000 is the only one that is a temporary baste. The residue will totally disappear in 12-24 hours depending on humidity contents. Higher it is the faster it comes out. All the rest you can make sticky again if you hit it with a steam iron. With KK2000 you can spray the paper and peel it off and not needing to worry about giving it to the customer with sticky residue. The other brands do the same thing but need to be machine washed to get it 100% out.

I do not like to get any type of adhesive on quilt even the water soluable. So I use Glad Press and Seal. I draw my designs on the Press and Seal with a Sharpie. LET SHARPIE MARKS DRY COMPLETELY and if quilting on a light or white fabric use a pencil. After tracing the design the Press and Seal will automatically stick to the fabric until I'm ready to to quilt over it

One comment on the sharpie markers and glad press 'n seal. If you needle gets too hot it can transfer black even if it is dry. I have used this method and do like it. The other comment I have regarding the press 'n seal is that if there is a lot of over stitching the plastic can be hard to remove so use the flat side of the tweezers to pull it out. I use the tweezers that came with my overlock machine. I guess in the long run I won't use it if there is a ton of over stitching.

I am fortunate to have a computerized system so now I will digitize my designs.

Originally posted by Gator

I use the "removable sticky" dots from the craft store on my golden threads paper. Golden threads sell the dots but they cost a lot more!!! They do no leave a residue on my quilts, they're just sticky enough to hold the paper.

I never thought of this....this sounds like a GREAT idea....you only really need the four corners stuck down.....Thanks for the tip...and now to the basement to dig in my scrapbook stuff.

The sticky dots are a great hint - thanks Connie!!

I love freehand work, ruler work and as always - using my Circle Lord templates - Very fun and easy - peasy!!! And they look great too!;)

I also use Freezer Paper to make templates or spines for feathers - curves and such, or any shape I want to go around. I always have this on hand for my applique work. I have also had my iron by the machine and ironed the freezer paper designs to the quilt as I am rolling it. These come off easy and if I stitch over a bit, easy to pull out with my tiny needle nose. Big roll, pretty inexpensive. You can easily cut out shapes and toss them if they just don't fit right.

Thats some very pretty quilting there Patty Jo!!

Archived