Has this ever happened to you? NOW WITH FINISHED PICS

Late this afternoon, I got a call from a lady who identified herself as the daughter of my customer who's quilt is going on my machine tomorrow. She talked for a bit and then explained to me that her mother passed away on Wednesday. When she brought me the top, she said that she was having some health issues - she had cancer. I had been thinking about her alot the last couple of days and I've been so busy with life and wasn't able to get to her quilt and then to get the phone call.......

I just feel so bad that I didn't get it done so that she could see it. Her daughter had picked out all the fabrics as her mom was making it for her and she wants me to complete it. Anyway, I've been pretty down since I got the call. Just thought I'd tell you all about it.

PJ, look at it this way - you get to provide the daughter with one last "piece" of her mother. You've gotta believe that mom is looking down on you as you quilt her last quilt - just keep her in your prayers as you stitch.

Angels on you, my friend, for feeling such compassion and loss.

Sorry to hear the news Patty Jo. Hang in there. The daughter will cherish this quilt all the more.

I had something happen to me that is similar however...twice!

First, I made a quilt for a friend's daughter who had had MS for 20+ years. She was my age...and I pieced and finished the quilt...unbenounced to her or her family. My entire family went to deliver the quilt to her last Christmas...only to find out that she had passed away just 2 days prior to our arrival.

Second, I was commissioned to make a quilt for another friend's granddaughter. I finished piecing the top when he passed away. I did finish quilting the quilt...and delivered it to his wife to give to the granddaughter. Also, there was no red in the quilt...yet since that was his favorite color...I made the quilt label a red heart and signed it "Love Grandpa Gary"

I am very cautious who I make quilts for anymore. Strange I know...but I couldn't handle the fact that I amde quilts for 2 people who never got to see them or enjoy them. The first quilt was on display at my friend's funeral. She might have been buried with it too...I can't honestly remember.

Dear PattyJo, you are not alone. I lost a dear customer a few months ago. She never told me she had cancer. I quilt for her and her DIL. She was one of the nicest people I have ever met. I had given her a jelly roll as she wanted to make one and I loaned her a book for patterns. The three of us went to sisters last summer and had such a good time. I miss her very much.

Nora

P.S. I got my templates and I put a check in the mail for you. Thank you very much. For those of you who don't know PattyJo is a rep for quilters rule so please if you need rulers and templates please contact her and give her the business.

Oh Patty, no I haven't had this happen to me but I can sense how it has made you feel.

You weren't to know the whole circumstances behind the quilt and as has already been said you are to give so much comfort through the finishing of this quilt which is probably what this lady had intended after her passing. Please do take comfort yourself from that. I'm certain its quilting will be very therapeutic.

Yes, this has happened to me. A lady brought me quilt for her husband who passed away while I had the quilt. She never told me about his passing, then she never picked up the quilt. I finally brought it back home from the LQS, contacted her, she said she really wanted it. Sent a check, it bounced, anyway she was not a nice woman (nor was her son)...they threatened to sue me (for what I am not sure). To make a longer story shorter, it was the only person who never paid me, never got their quilt. By the way, it was an ugly, ugly cheater cloth so after holding on to this ugly quilt for over 3 years, I cut it up in to dog beds and gave it to my Vet for his kennels. Dogs don't care and they are color blind...thank goodness:o:P:o:P:P:P

Patty Jo, what a wonderful gift you will be able to give to her daughter. I have a quilt now to finished. The mom age 91 started her first quilt and passed on, Handquilted in lap quilting style. The daughter brought to me and asked if I can finish it for her. So I said yes. The only thing is the part I quilt will be on the long arm. There will no questions as to who did what. I have to put the three rows together , add the borders and quilt that. These are gifts we as quilter can give to others and no amount of money would show their ture appreciation. The feeling of joy we give to them is ubelievable. So go quilt and be blessed by it.

PS Those that are ugly. That's their problem not ours!!!!!

sorry to hear about your customers passing. I guess this too is all part of life and we never know when or how someones time will be up. We leave that to our Lord and just try to make the most of each and every day and do all the good we can while we are here. I know even though your customer didnt get to see the quilt she will be very happy that you finish it and her daughter will have it as a memory of her. What a Joy that will be. Cheer up and be blessed, you are a wonderful compassionate caring person and you are loved very much!!

Patty,

This must be so hard for you. At least the daughter valued the quilt enough to want it. I gave my friend a quilt 2 years ago when she retired from teaching. She passed away in October and her daughter gave the quilt away because she has allergies and she just couldn't use it. I just wished she'd given it back to me.

Here's what I have to share....

Two of the first quilts that I designed myself were intended for my grandmothers who were both in a nursing home. I selected fabric and quilting designs that I thought would be special to each of them. One of my grandmothers passed away before I got very far with it. I kept that fabric "kitted" for quite a few years, before finally acknowledging that it would not get made and returned it to my stash.

My lesson learned was not to waste time when making quilts for the elderly or ill. Get them done quickly, so they can be used and loved. I just got a friendship quilt made for a former guild member, with plenty of help from the guild, we got it done in about 6 weeks. We have another member fighting cancer, and we're making the blocks for that one now. Plan to have it done and given in a month.

Your situation is a little different. You get to finish the project that your customer started with so much love for her daughter. I think you should feel honored that you get to do this for both of them. You know this one will be much loved and appreciated!

thank you all for your kind words, stories and for just listening. It was shocking to hear from her daughter that she had passed away, and I don't know if I can quilt this without lots of tears in the process. My customer, Inez, just wanted stippling and now I would like to quilt something really special for her daughter. Here is a pic of the top, My first thought was E2E feathers on the body of the quilt, but maybe there is someone with a really great idea out there. On the small border maybe just SID? and the outer border - ???. what would you do on this..

2796448140094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

PJ...I feel your hurt over your dear customers passing. To me each quilt that comes in is an opportunity to pray for that person as I quilt. It is my ministry, my calling. Your gift to your friend is to finish her quilt with love and prayer for her dtr. as she gets thr this time of grief.

I would do a wavy diagonal in the blue spaces between all the daisies then maybe a terry twist in the blocks (cant tell how big the squares are) Or feather wreath in in the blocks.

Hang in there PJ...you are strong and most able...

Dear Patty,

You have such a dear and sweet heart!! Use the quilting to heal yourself as well as creating a piece of love and a huge hug from this mother to her daughter.

I like Linda's idea of E2E Daisies, they fit in with the fabric and the Hearts in the small Border would be ideal! What ever you choose, we know it will be quilted with the Love in your Heart.

Lot and Lots of (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) to you,

I also love Linda's idea of daisys. I think it really goes with the fabric. And the thought of hearts in the small border and the fact of what it would signify is wonderful.

I think about the possibility of this happening alot, as I quilt for a 90+ yr old woman. She did end up in the hospital with congestive heart failure once while I had a quilt of hers, but came back from that to make at least 2 more quilts.

thanks Linda for the good idea of the daisy E2E. That will really look good on this oversized Queen size quilt. I think I'll practice that a bit and then go fo it. You are right in that it goes so well with the fabric. Thank you

And I know that I'm a bit sappy with my emotions right now, but I will do better when I actually get started on the quilt. I have it all loaded on my machine and will try and start working on it tomorrow afternoon.

Archived