Sitting while quilting

There have been several posts about what type of chair to use while sitting at our longarms, but I'm trying to figure out whether I need/want to sit. I now know what type of chair I want, but not sure if the cost is justified.

How many of you sit while quilting? If so, do you sit all the time or just for certain types of quilting? Is it easy to slide across the table while sitting?

Thanks so much. This will help me make my decision and I hope it will also help others who are considering the purchase of a chair or stool.

I would say it depends on how you are quilting. If working from the front, I like to sit when I do small fills or just freehanding. I usually end up standing when doing rulerwork. I just recently started sitting to do pantos and I have found that I don't take as many breaks and can quilt longer when sitting down. It does take a bit of adjustment to get used to.

As far as moving easily, that would depend on the type of floor you have and whether or not your feet touch the floor!:D I am very long legged, so even with my stool all the way up, my feet are on the floor and I just push myself along. I don't have carpet, so my chair rolls easily.

Hi Caroline

I don't sit all the time, but I do sit when I'm gonna be in one place for a while - like for dense, teenie background quilting etc.

I have the hydraulic lift on my table, so I lower the table and then sit quite comfortably on my drafting chair. (I think I paid just less than $100 for the chair)

I scoot my anti-fatigue mat out of the way and then can roll easily along the length of my table....I have flat, commercial type carpet in the room, tho so it's easy to roll around.

Hope that helps.

Caroline,

I sit almost all the time. I much prefer sitting over standing at the machine. I use it from the back and the front and wouldn't be without it. When working towards the back of the frame I need the chair higher and my feet can't always touch so hubby made a little platform that I can put my feet on. It is about 3 ft long and I just slide it along if needed.

I try very hard to sit....but I catch myself standing. I have real carpet, you know the shaggy kind. Don't ask what happens when I drop the tiny screw from the needle...that is another story. So mine won't roll, if I sit, I have to hop off and roll the chair over, then if I remember I get back on :)

After much talk of this subject a few months ago, my DH bought me a saddle stool. What did I do without it! I use it all the time when I quilt! (I only work from the front of the machine, free motion and ruler work) I have low carpet and it rolls pretty smoothly. I have a little footstool that I got a couple years ago at an auction and I will use it to help roll and sometimes to put one foot on. I haven't quilted standing up since November and my back likes me so much for it!!

I find I am not as tired at the end of the day when I sit for at least part of the quilting process. I don't have a nice chair yet though. I'm just using a tall chair from the kitchen which is not too comfy and doesn't have wheels. Anyway, get the chair and don't try to rationalize it. Just do it.

Jess

Butterfly - I love your answer. Yes, I will get myself that chair and stop my dwelling. Sounds like whoever has one does not regret it. I found a saddle stool that has wheels and raises to a nice height on the internet that I will order. The ones up our way (in Canada) are just too much.

Thank you everyone for helping me out! (yet again :D)

I think I'm just to short to sit on a stool and quilt. More like my legs are too short. If I get the stool high enough that I can quilt comfortably, I have to climb up onto the stool and my feet don't even come close to touching the floor. Since I can't brace my feet on the floor, as I push the machine one way, the stool turns in the opposite direction. To slide along the quilt, I have to either get off the stool and move it, or pull myself along using one of the roller bars. In either case, I have to stop quilting. For me it just doesn't work.

My legs are short, and the Penni, too darned high. Took the legs to a weilder to have them shortened above the 9" so taller folks could still adjust the height. The welder did a wonderful job, even smoothed it off, and primer and painted it. Now to sit or stand, the height is just right, and the stool, saddle stool, has the ring around the bottom to rest my feet on, and I can just reach the floor to ride back and forth for quilting or for fun. :D

So my slacks 36" from waist band to below the ankle are definately short, though not the shortest.

I really don't think Id like or use a stool without the footrest ring.

Hope this might help... the table tip or the stool tip, or stretch yourself to get stretched a bit...

RitaR

I got my saddle stool in December and love it! I have laminate floor so it "scoots" along beautifully! I use it for everything except SID. I even use it for panto's. Cound not find on in Canada though. Had of order form the States and shipping cost alot, but it was worth it- I plan on using it for a long long time!

Caroline, I see that the seat does not tilt. You might want to consider that, sometimes I, like some other ladies here do, just kind a rest my behind on the seat and just scoot along with the feet, so a down ward tilted seat is great. But mine doesn't have a backrest and I have so far not missed it. Just something to think about.

I have been thinking about getting one myself, but I would have to get one that has a foot rest on it. I am a little on the short side. I have an older style frame without the fabric advance, I have to stand on my tip toes and can barely reach the front roller bar to advance the quilt.

Archived