Getting Yurt to the USA!!!

Hi all! I am going to let the cat out of the bag... I contacted my friends in Paducah this week about the yurt project. Spoke with Bonnie Browning, director of AQS shows, she is interested in info, possibly Des Moines show has auditorium big enough. Spoke with Judy Schwender, curator of National Quilt Museum, tonite. She would like to exhibit yurt in museum also. We need to help Linzi figure out how to get yurt here. A sponsor is needed. How about APQS?? what do you all think??? do you think they would go for this, wouldnt this be great advertising for them??? Would an email campaign do or what?? Linzi, jump in here with your thoughts and keep us posted!!!

I can't tell you all how exciting this whole project has become!! I'm glad Irene was able to spill the beans...

I just heard yesterday so I made a list:

1) Get a certificate to prove that the wooden frame has made from been pest treated timber

2) Write a lengthy explanation about the project - DONE

3) Drive to local quarry and get car weighed empty then fill it up with yurt and weighed again

4) Figure out making a packing case from plywood

5) Get a shipping quote based on weight and volume

6) Get sponsorship to pay for shipping - try woollen mill, tourist board, fabric company wanted to give me fabric instead of cash - I asked for that at the start of the project but didn't get it then!

7) Come to MQX for 2 weeks

8) Clean out hens, feed children, other general chores, be the UK rep for APQS etc!

9) Get the yurt FINISHED!!

10) Write a book that somehow includes all of these: Stunt Quilters, recipes, funny stories about pig keeping, quilting designs, pattern instructions, photos, cartoons

11) Figure out new tape recorder and produce UK's first quilting podcast

Any other bright ideas will be much appreciated...

Linzi, your yurt project is so great!!

I don't know how I could help, but I keep my fingers crossed for you and your project. It's so fantastic!! :)

And I hope you will really write a book about all that, exactly with the listed contents :) I will be your first book buyer ...

Wish you all the best

Ok Linzi, how exciting!!! Maybe we need to have a raffle quilt to help with the costs. I like the idea of APQS sponsorship, I'm sure a lot of us also used Superior threads and QD batting. I used the IQ, don't know if anyone else did (another possible sponsorship). Just imagine living in a "quilted yurt". Dory, maybe Linzi could put a pic of your "yurt studio" in her book!!! I really gotta get to work before I get fired, but this is sooooo interesting.

Barbara, a Yurt is a wood framed, round building often with canvas covering the walls and roof, I understand some have wood siding too, and Linzi's is going to have the quilted walls and roof. I think it can be looked up by searching for a Yurt.

We slept in one that was made of canvas, by Yosemite Park, CA one night. Yurt was fine, neighbors dog, bawling kid at 2 a.m., couple in a nearby yurt argueing.. we won't do it again.. could have been so nice and peaceful.

On own property, would be so much fun, and just right for a quilting studio.

RitaR

Linzi........ We have friends that build homes and a brother that builds, if we have a blueprint of the frame it could be assembled here in the states, then taken to the shows. ........... I think this is such a great idea! I'm willing to help out anyway I can. I would like a book also!!! Signed!!!

P.S. we have a trailer, plus I go to the shows & he golfs.

Let me know.......Rebecca

Lords, Ladies, gentlemen, fellow quilters and hopefully sponsors.

This is such an opportunity for not only those that contributed to the panels but to those companies that were indirectly involved, ie APQS, whose machines the panels were quilted on, to all the thread companies whose thread that was used, the fabric companies whose fabrics were used to make the panels and so on.

What an an amazing opportunity to be associated with something that takes quilting totally out of the box!

This project is already a huge talking point in the most prestigous of quilting circles. What is amazing, is no-one has seen it other than the pictures of the quilts that have appeared on this forum and of course on Linzi's blog.

I have seen the Yurt and also some of the panels in the various stages of construction, and hopefully will be one of the first to see the yurt in all its quilted glory.

Linzi, you go girl.

Linzi...I bought my yurt from Pacific Yurts in Oregon. My thought is that if you're going to have sponsors listed in some fashion, they might pony up some $$. I'd be willing to ask; I know they were thrilled when they found out what I was using mine for.

Originally posted by Tracy G

Lords, Ladies, gentlemen, fellow quilters and hopefully sponsors.

This is such an opportunity for not only those that contributed to the panels but to those companies that were indirectly involved, ie APQS, whose machines the panels were quilted on, to all the thread companies whose thread that was used, the fabric companies whose fabrics were used to make the panels and so on.

What an an amazing opportunity to be associated with something that takes quilting totally out of the box!

This project is already a huge talking point in the most prestigous of quilting circles. What is amazing, is no-one has seen it other than the pictures of the quilts that have appeared on this forum and of course on Linzi's blog.

I have seen the Yurt and also some of the panels in the various stages of construction, and hopefully will be one of the first to see the yurt in all its quilted glory.

Linzi, you go girl.

Very Well said Tracy !!!!!

Dory, the Yurt maker you got yours from might see this as a great advertising opportunity. If they would be willing to set one up temporarily at the show...or where ever, then Linzi, you can put your panels up and invite the media. Linzi, your part would be to bring the panels. Much easier than moving and re-building a yurt over the pond!!

This could be a very cool longarm quiltng show exhibit...where you walk into it, and are surrounded by quilts!

Great fun! Good luck!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW NJ

Archived