Background Fills

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by DoryJM

Shannon, I love your directions. I could never get my mind behind the curly-doodles, but having you say they're just a loopy meander that has changed its mind make so much sense to me. I'm good at the loopy meander (she says, modestly;)), so if I practice, perhaps I'll be good at the curly-doodles too! Thanks!!

Dory,

That's what I was thinking as well...I can do the loopy meander no problem, I never thought of applying that to doing the swirly stuff though. Shannon explained it/ doodled it back to the basics and made it easier.

Been practicing on the white board this afternoon when I should be quilting customer quilts :P:P:P

Linnea,

I remember that thread about thread, lol :D:D

But we need it drawn out with arrows to point us in the right directions so we (I mean "I") don't trip over myself or back myself into a corner...which is really easy to do when you have 2 left feet (hands) like I do :D:D:P:P

Have I mentioned that I can't walk and chew gum at the same time either? :P:P:P

Originally posted by mrsbishwit

Been practicing on the white board this afternoon when I should be quilting customer quilts :P:P:P

Took a class once and the instructor (Sue Bennet) said you have to book one day a week to practice or you never try anything new or get better. So...you weren't taking a break, you were working!

I really love Irena Bluhms, Bluhming Background Designs, and if you watch her DVD or on-line at Linda Taylor's Quilting School, she is really a wonderful teacher.

I also love to watch Adam on MQR. If you are a member and look up the videos, Adam demonstrates some really cool ideas and he's a terrific teacher as well.

Just a couple of my favs.

I like how your mind works Dory!!! :P:P:P:cool::cool:

Originally posted by DoryJM

Originally posted by mrsbishwit

Took a class once and the instructor (Sue Bennet) said you have to book one day a week to practice or you never try anything new or get better. So...you weren't taking a break, you were working!

Originally posted by oireachtas

Some day I'm just going to drive down to Georgia, show up on your doorstep and watch you quilt for a day!!

i have an open invation to anyone- my studio is open to anyone- i'd love the human conversation.....barney's are always so one sided :P

NC couldn't be more than a 6 hours drive south on I85....i make a mean meatloaf...and i have been told the guest bedroom is very plush with a comfy bed...not to mention three of the best LQSes in the atlanta area are as quick as a hiccup to get to.....

is anyone sold yet???;)

What ever happened to Nicole Webb? I don't hear much about her anymore, does she still teach?, Does she still have a web site?

Originally posted by JoAnnHoffman

On Sharon Schambaer Network she does all her fills from Mother Earth quilt. She draws then quilts. Awesome. I still like Nicole Webbs Freehand and Advanced Freehand fills.

Linda Rech, thank you for your quick help on my wall hanging "door way". I'd never even thought of making straight, close lines to make it recede. Of course all 3 grandaughters are visiting today and tomorrow (2 3 yr olds, & a 10 month) so I think I'd better wait for them to go home before I start quilting. I tend to lose track of time once I'm using a moving sewing machine. Love reading all the ideas you guys have. This wall hanging is already heavy with all the machine embroidery, when I finish with the background stuff it'll need an anchor bolt to hang on the wall.

Originally posted by PattyJo

Annie - I wasn't able to get the web site to work. Kept getting an error message. Could you double check it? Thanks;)

And to all the other good ideas - THANK YOU:)

Hmm don't know what's wrong with it. Try going to www.daystyledesigns.com and clicking on the "100 Designs" box. It's worth the effort, I promise! If you poke around on the site you will also find videos that show her stitching the designs.

For those who like to practice on paper.. save your phone books, scribble them thru and the pages don't fly away. Feels better in some ways than the dry erase board..

and best of all, don't cost additional money for the paper.. just the marker.

RitaR

Annie - I finally got there by doing a search. I should have come and posted it. I still can't get there from my laptop, but I've recently updated my security, so ???? for not being a techno kind of a person, who knows? Not me... Thanks for trying again. Just me, i think.:)

Originally posted by LinneaMarie

Joann, I was just over at MQR and watched "Adams Favorite Fills"! It is a Premier Video (free for Premier members), but it ROCKS!! Totally awesome! Now I just need to find #1 through #5.

LinneaMarie,

I joined as a premium member too watched Adam's Favorite Fills and also watched Deb Levy's Background Fills with Grids

also a must to see, they make it all look so easy, lol :)

Originally posted by Linda G. Craig

I really love Irena Bluhms, Bluhming Background Designs, and if you watch her DVD or on-line at Linda Taylor's Quilting School, she is really a wonderful teacher.

I also love to watch Adam on MQR. If you are a member and look up the videos, Adam demonstrates some really cool ideas and he's a terrific teacher as well.

Just a couple of my favs.

I watched Irena Bluhms last night on Linda's QS. I loved how she sewed out the Swirly design and builing other designs on it. She made it look so easy.

I also love to watch Adams videos. !!!

Archived