Background Fills

What are your favorite background fills?

and what is a good resource to learn the technique from, DVD, book, you tube video? Please share...

I want to learn new background fills and would like to perfect a swirl background but everytime I PPP on my white board I feel as though I have 2 left feet in this case hands and I keep tripping over myself :( is there a tip,secret or pearl of wisdom anyone has that they would like to share on how to do background fills?

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Joann,

Do you have Darlene Epp's Pocket Guides? I felt the same way as you until I started "doodling" the designs over and over on paper. I never did get the hang of the white board, seems like pen an paper work better for me. The Pocket Guides are small and you can take them with you...I have a set in my truck and a set at home. I have been known to doodle in meetings and on the phone at work! I highly recommend them for background fills! ;)

My three most used are cross-hatching, McTavishing and Jamie Wallens swirly meander.

Oooops missed the rest of the question. I learn by watching best. I have dvd's for both Jamie's and Karen's techniques. Cross hatching I now do with my Quiltazoid. I practice on paper until I have it drilled in my head but mostly I just get out a scrap and play on the machine until I have it.

i use alot of background fills, but my #1`favorite and most used is my doodlebug filler.....

here's the 'training wheels" to get your mind to start thinking in a swirly filler way:

start doodleing with a loopy meander (think of it as 'warming' up that part of your brain), making sure that the loops go one way then the other, then just 'merge' into a swirl....all a swirl is is a loopy that changed it mind and doubled back on itself after seeing its tail :) ....go in wide, then split the difference coming back out...

just PPP and you'll be doing swirls like a pro in no time! :D

post--13461903874692_thumb.jpg

i have darlene epps pocket guides and they are great. she puts arrows on the design and you can trace them with your finger to get the hang of them. they are a bit pricey - but i think they are worth it!

I've been collecting filler ideas from the website http://www.daystyledesigns.com/365project.htm.

Doodlebug....thanks for the instructions! You make it look so easy.... I'll try it out and get back to you

:P:P

PPP is a must. I liked Linda Taylor's Fancy This workbook. It's got instructions for making a filler sampler. I took her class based on the workbook at HMQS 2 years ago.

Dawn C has some very inspirational filler samplers hanging in the APQS training room. She provides drawings for all of them in the Advanced Class which is very worthwhile.

Lots of great info!!! Thanks :)

I do have Pam Clark's background design and shapes workbook (but there is no arrows) and some of the more complicated designs are hard to follow. I also have her DVD for background frenzy.

I like the idea of the arrows to show the pathways so I did just ordered Darlene's pocket guides, should be here in about a week.

Thanks Shannon your doodle diagram is very useful, I printed it off and will practice making swirls :cool::cool:

I will also look into Jamie Wallens stuff...

ok so nothing beats PPP, so back to the white board ;)

Originally posted by hmerrill

Joann,

Jamie has two dvd sets, both excellent, Cotton Tracks & Thread Fushion. both have workbooks and he is very detailed in his DVD. They are at the top of my list for DVD's!

Heidi, I checked out Jamie's website after you mentined him and his "cotton tracks" package looks very interesting, lots of of stuff for what you end up paying. I booked marked it to buy later this week after some customers pick up their quilts.

Kristina, I too was hoping you would post some of your meanderings, can't wait! BTW how is Sven doing?

Originally posted by mrsbishwit

Heidi, I checked out Jamie's website after you mentined him and his "cotton tracks" package looks very interesting, lots of of stuff for what you end up paying. I booked marked it to buy later this week after some customers pick up their quilts.

You will love it! It is a real bargain!!!! He is one of the most generous patient people I know!

I have a question along the line of background fills. I'm ready to quilt a wall hanging about 30" x 35" with applique and lots of machine embroidery animals. Mr. Mole is standing in front of his door which is in a tree trunk of course. Behind him is the doorway which is a dyed gold fabric. The outter door I've figured out (same shape but dark wine fabric) but I want the light to recess in the other side. Any ideas? I'll use the same color embroidery thread but it's not all that big of an area -- 2" x 5" with Mr. Mole taking up a portion of the lower area. It's got a curve to the top, you know, the way a doorway would look if it was in the base of a big tree. I think I've been on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride once too many times at Disneyland. The grandkids (girls) love the story of Wind in the Willows soooo. A grandmother's got to do what she's got to do. Thanks for any help.

hi Shirley,

Do a dense fill in the gold with matching thread as you stated above, stitching around Mr. Mole. That will physically recede the area. I would stitch very close together vertical lines to fill the space. Nothing to draw the eye to look further--just to compress the batting and flatten the area.

The wall hanging sounds so cute--pictures please when you finish!

Shannon, I love your directions. I could never get my mind behind the curly-doodles, but having you say they're just a loopy meander that has changed its mind make so much sense to me. I'm good at the loopy meander (she says, modestly;)), so if I practice, perhaps I'll be good at the curly-doodles too! Thanks!!

Archived