table size

If you have a 10' table....is it large enough for you??

Currently I have a 14' table, but I'm thinking of cutting it down. I really don't need a 14' table. I don't want to go too small, but wanted some feedback from those of you with a 10' table.

Was thinking of going to Bliss, and though it is probably the greatest thing since sliced bread....it is way too expensive for me. I am going with Edgeriders. So.....I would like your input, please.

I agree with Joyce. I have a 12' table and try not to turn anyone away. The widest I will accept backers is 118" so I have a bit of room to maneuver.

I have also found that a top larger than I can take in is usually for a bed and the customer mostly wants an E2E design to save some money. I refer them to a local with a Statler Stitcher.

MB, maybe someone will want to swap their 12' for your 14'.

(How's our Haylee girl?)

Mary Beth,

Have you thought about going with the new Bliss wheels?You can purchase them separately from the table.

I have a ten-foot table on my Lenni. I rent both my Millie (14 ft) and Lenni (10 ft). So far, the Lenni has met the demand for quilt sizes since most of the quilts that come in are 96" and under: college-bound throws and kids quilts. I do have the Millie as a backup though for the bed-sized quilts.

You need to think what sizes you want to be able to quilt.

I had a 10 ft. table with my hobby quilter and it was too short for my quilts. When I got the Millie I got an 11 ft. table, but wanted 12 ft., which wouldn't fit into my room. I'm dreaming about Bliss, but would have to go down to 10 ft, which I wouldn't do, or up to 12 ft., which might be possible if I rearrange my room and remove some things.

I use the Circle Lord on the front and since my table is against the wall, even with the shorter arm for the CL, I have to pull the table away from the wall to accomplish what I am doing when I have a large quilt. I say you can always use less of the length, but if it isn't there you can't use more than what you have.

Mary Beth I wouldn't go smaller than 12'. I do a lot of bed size quilts; I have a mid-arm machine on a 10' frame and it is too small for the bed size quilts I do. I only use my mid-arm for Amazing Grace panel quilts I do for a local furneral home. So I never have to worry about what I have on Lilla. I have the edgerider wheels on Lilla and just love them. Like Linda said maybe someone out there has a 12' frame that they would trade for your 14'.

Linda, Dawn posted in response to my question about an 11 ft. upgrade that due to the manufacturing process they can only make 10, 12 and 14 foot, and special lengths are no longer available. I would need new poles, which are $250 each, so that adds an additional $1,000 to the cost of Bliss. I could probably use the lexan top that I have and set it in the new rails, and it would be a foot short, but I don't see that as a problem. So for now I'm just dreaming about Bliss and hoping a rich distant relative dies and leaves a pile of cash for me. :P

Back to Mary Beth's question....I saw a 14 ft. table at Francine's and it is a lot of table, but I wouldn't go shorter than 12 ft.

marybeth -

i know that i am a newbie & really shouldnt be answering,- but when i was shopping around all the brands of longarms, everyone told me that if i could fit it - i should get a 12' table. EVERY SINGLE PERSON and let me tell you - i spoke to lots of people from lots of manyfacturers.

they said that i would be hardpressed to find a quilt that i couldn't fit onto a 12' - but that a 10' table can get cramped, even if you are doing a large queen.

so thats what i know about table size - it isnt much but it's alot of people (who are supposed to be experts) opinion..

good luck.

HI MaryBeth

I have a 10 foot table, but I dont yet quilt for others. It has been great so far. I havent done really big quilts though - our beds in the UK are smaller !!! LOL !!!

I may have to turn people away if I ever do get interest past about 100" wide ???

Sylvia,

What is the biggest quilt that you have quilted on your 10 foot frame?? I would be interested to know.

We only have a double bed and an 85 " square quilt drowns it !!!

:D

Guest Linda S

I have a tiny little customer who always makes king sized quilts, so I've never regretted my 14' table. If you don't get many king-sized quilts, I can see that you'd want to cut back.

Linda

Julie...that is really a lot of help!!:P:D

I'm thinking 12', so I'm glad you all agree.

Bliss is out of the question....I am quilting for myself only. I may never quilt for customer's again. I cannot justify the cost. I think Edgeriders will be just fine for me.

Thank you all for your help.

Archived