Latest Quilt - mixed feelings

Good Morning.

I experimented with this quilt using two battings, Dream Cotton and a thin polyester batting for extra loft. I quilting all from the front using templates and freehand.

I'm not sure I enjoyed quilting on two battings. It is a bit more difficult and I found that I needed to be really careful using templates. I burned out a battery by catching the hopping foot on one of the templates. Got practice changing batteries!

I like the resulting depth of the quilting, but not sure it's worth all the extra effort! I used Rainbows Golden Glory on the top and Bottom Line on the bottom. Would you have used a different thread for a more dramatic effect? I'm still guessing with thread choices here...

2157742920103885794S425x425Q85.jpg

Close Up Shots front

2723849340103885794S425x425Q85.jpg

2036711520103885794S425x425Q85.jpg

Close ups of back

2234659020103885794S425x425Q85.jpg

2958170090103885794S425x425Q85.jpg

Here is the album website URL:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/577536304WtKJtH?vhost=home-and-garden

Evelyn

Heidi,

I think I am too timid to try raising the foot. I read how to do it in the manual and definitely decided that I was not up to it! I am afraid of doing something really wrong to the Millie and end up in big trouble! Someday I hope to take a Maintenance class and maybe then I'll have the courage to "tinker" with the machine. All I can do now is change the needle and replace fuses...

Meg. The quilt is 74 x 74. The inside blocks are 10", the sashing is 1" and outside border is 2".

Don't be afraid. I had to lower mine. It was set at the factory and when Amy saw my close up pictures she knew EXACTLY what was wrong! Amy says the hopping foot, when run the whole way down with the hand wheel should have just enough space to get a business card under it. I've done mine a couple times to get it right. I had to raise it for a flannel quilt with a wool batt; then I put it back to the business card thing. Also, Dawn C says if the hopping foot is pushing the fabric it is down too far. I can see how that might cause all kinds of havoc!!:P:P

Anywho, it is very easy to raise and lower it, and I'm sure they will walk you through it over the phone. Maybe not this week due to MQS.:P:P:P woohoo!!

I love using 2 battings - especially for wall quilts - use a firmer batting on the back and often QD wool or QD puff on top. I have also used 2 layers of wool for a quilt that was to be used in a mountain cabin - the owners loved it - light weight and very warm for those very cold nights. It is worth the effort to learn to raise and lower your hopping foot!

You quilt is wonderful! Very bright and cheery and your quilting is perfect!!

Guest Linda S

That came out really nicely. I've not had any problems with two batts, but I think my hopping foot might be a little higher than normal. It seems to go over everything!

Evelyn, I agree with the others, it came out very pretty.. raising and lowering the presser foot isn't bad once you do it.. not even the first time, lol, I really like the thread you used it seems to accent the quilt without grabbing ones attention. Great choices on patterns.

RitaR

Beautiful quilting - and with having such good definition and seeing the quilting so well, I think your thread choices were great. Because it is so puffy with the 2 batts, you really wouldn't see your thread that much. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thank you all for your comments. With all your encouragement, I think I'll try to raise the presser foot the next time that I do this.

Heidi, you're right. It probably would not have been as difficult to quilt if I had done that. I'll do it next time. You are all the greatest support group around!

Happy Mother's Day to all. Enjoy!

Glad you are going to try raising the hopping foot, Evelyn. It will make all the difference for you. And as Heidi said, it is not hard.

I have written down how many business cards (use the same ones everytime, as I have discovered they vary in thickness) I use for each batting. I switch between cotton, hi-loft poly, low-loft poly and wool.

By the way, your quilt is lovely, despite all the trouble you had!

Archived