Who won MQS? Please share!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people are in a bit of shock this year. Judging is strange to say the least. The quilts that everyone are gathering around and ooohing and aahing over.....didn't win a ribbon, or have won 2nd or 3rd place. This show is about the quilting, but it seems a lot of the quilts that have won are very basic :o I don't get it. No one there gets it. And I can tell you....it is buzzing at MQS.

I think they are trying to get away from awarding the same ribbons to the same people every year. Okay....so make a master's catagory and let them compete with each other. We still want to see their awesome quilting and we want them to be rewarded for their efforts, but we also want to see a nobody step in and take a ribbon.

I'm sure they have their reasons, but if they could hear the talk, I don't think they would like what they are hearing.

It will be interesting to see who wins Viewer's Choice.

Maybe they are having a major dispute between the judges.... still I think ít's sort of rude to not release anything, or more than they have...

Other forums are asking the same thing.. who won on what..

RitaR

I was there and didn't even see who won. I had to scurry through the show because I had to pack to leave at 4:30 the next morning. It was really odd. I thougt I went through and saw all the quilts but didn't see any ribbons!!! Maybe they put them on after the banquet Wed eve.

I just read my May 13, 2010 APQS email update and it indicates " "Garden Frost" by Dawn Cavanaugh and Pat Johnson wins First Place in Paducah and MQS!" I am not sure if this is current or a prior event... Regardless, Congratulation Dawn and Pat!!!

Yes, Dawn did win!!! Woo-hoo!!!

I cannot go back into the qulit area until Saturday. I will try to get there earlier enough to get some pictures.

There is no dispute between judges....Just strange judging. I'm sure there is a reason behind their choices, but I'm not a judge so I don't understand. And neither does any of the others in attendance.

I was at the awards ceremony and I recall the following were winners but don't recall the categories. Heidi's star quilt, Birget Schuller, Joanna Hoffman, Dawn Cavanaugh, Marilyn Badger. Claudia did not win. The comments from some attendees were that the winners in a lot of categories were more traditional quilts, rather than the art quilts. I did take some pictures after the ribbons were added but had to fly through the quilts before my ride left so didn't get much time to look at quilts. :( I'm back home and have a few things that I have to do this morning but will pose pictures when I get done. I may recall the names of more winners once I look at the pictures. And I did take some pictures of the quilt info beside the quilt, so that will help, also.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

I think they are trying to get away from awarding the same ribbons to the same people every year. Okay....so make a master's catagory and let them compete with each other. We still want to see their awesome quilting and we want them to be rewarded for their efforts, but we also want to see a nobody step in and take a ribbon.

Are the judges so familiar with the work of certain quilters that they just know whose quilt they are looking at? I was under the impression that the label was covered so they judge doesn't see the quilter's name.

Originally posted by yankiequilter

I was at the awards ceremony and I recall the following were winners but don't recall the categories. Heidi's star quilt, Birget Schuller, Joanna Hoffman, Dawn Cavanaugh, Marilyn Badger. Claudia did not win. The comments from some attendees were that the winners in a lot of categories were more traditional quilts, rather than the art quilts. I did take some pictures after the ribbons were added but had to fly through the quilts before my ride left so didn't get much time to look at quilts. :( I'm back home and have a few things that I have to do this morning but will pose pictures when I get done. I may recall the names of more winners once I look at the pictures. And I did take some pictures of the quilt info beside the quilt, so that will help, also.

Are the judges so familiar with the work of certain quilters that they just know whose quilt they are looking at? I was under the impression that the label was covered so they judge doesn't see the quilter's name.

Carmen did are you saying that I won a ribbon? I have not heard anything.

Now that's just ridiculous that they didn't tell Heidi she won. I've been trying to find out the winners, too. Marilyn Badger won second to Dawn's first. It's the quilt she won with at Lancaster. It was on Heidi Kaisand's blog.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Originally posted by yankiequilter

Carmen did are you saying that I won a ribbon? I have not heard anything.

yes heidi - carmen has even posted apicture of the ribbon for you in another post - titled mqs photos!!!! congratulations! first you get to skip work, then your foot fixed and now you get a ribbon! :cool:

This is PattyJo on Barb's computer and the Viewer's choice was announced tonight at the MQS Banquet and it was...............................................drum roll please.....;)........................ Janet Fogg's "Caddy and the Cakes" (Pink Cadailac on a cake plate) another Oregonian!!! There were so many beautiful quilts that it was really hard to vote for just one.

This quilt was beautiful and was at the Oregon Garden's quilt show in Silverton this last January. Janet was the featured quilter there. So I was pleased that my sister quilter from Oregon won. :D

Wow I just love Janet Fogg's quilts!! They are always very interesting and artistic. Her piecing and quilting is very thought out and unique and I remember a couple of years ago she had a logging truck made all out of log cabin blocks; and last year she had the old woody roadster and the big sea shell. So cool; love her stuff! CONGRATS JANET!! :)

Archived