loading a quilt on the diagonal UPDATE with pics

You can attach triangular pieces of muslin to square it up. Then the batting and backer will need to be finessed. The batting can be secured in the shape of the top, but the backer needs to be oversized (the new size of the altered backer) or it can also have triangles attached if the backer is directional or if you want the grain lines to match.

Doesn't sound too easy, does it?:o

Someone several years ago was successful with this method and may chime in to help.

Annie

I was thinking of that same thing with the twisted bargello that Kerry M posted as her cross went diagonal and would be great to put a cable type of design down it. I think if you do have the QZ or CL front setup what Kristina suggests should work. I guess loading it diagonally would depend on how large the quilt is if it would fit that direction on the frame. Interesting ideas to be sure.

Originally posted by Dave-Jane

Check out our web site for the LA clips - They will hold the quilt sandwich in the diagonal. One of many uses for the clips.

Ooh, I have your clips. Picture 3 on your website looks just like what I want to do. Can you offer any more details about how to do this? Does the quilt sandwich need to be basted prior to loading? Is it pinned to canvas anywhere?

COuld you do the SID and any other stitching that is "on the sraight " first. Then the layers would be held together.

Heavily pin any unquilted areas, take off as if you are going to turn the quilt then using the clips( I have cardboard tubes)

clip to your quilt back and pick up rollers.

You would need to take off and clip to advance to the next row etc.

Lyn

Hi Annie,

Yes, Just as Lyn describes - do whatever quilting you can do on the straight. If that is not enough, then baste. No, the quilt sandwich is not pinned to the canvas. The clips hold tight. Dave used to use the cardboard tubes, but found they weakened after a few uses and would need to keep making more. The plastic clips hold better and longer - so far none of them have broken or wore out!!

He started using them just to keep the canvas in place and from flipping around, when quilting smaller items such as wall hangings. Then he missed a block on a quilt and used them to reattach- then he had the diagonal block quilt and found another use---- they have come in so handy.

Dave has been pretty busy with quilts- so he has not been on the forum much this week!! So sorry for the delayed answer!!!

Jane

Ok. I wish I'd paid more attention to Lyn's advice. It was right on, same as Jane's comments. It would have been much easier if I'd just basted the sandwich first...of course, I was too lazy and had to work much harder to keep everything lined up. Fortunately, it's a lap size quilt, so it's been fairly managable. I'm almost done, got the top and bottom points to finish.

Next time: Baste first. Then it's easy using the lines on the quilt top for alignment and the clips to hold the quilt top and bottom in place.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

OK This is great! Beautiful quilt. Annie,,, I would have loved to see a photo of your quilt loaded on the frame on the diagonal showing how you did it. Pictures say a thousand words. Thanks for sharing!

I know. I thought about it, but it was so not-cool looking. Next time I'll take pics.

Archived