I don't know how inspiring this is.. THE FIX IS IN!

Was the quilt stored in the sun between the time it was pieced and quilted? I seems it should have shown that rot during piecing. Dry rotting is possible, certainly but add that to sun shine and you've got TROUBLE! I agree that black, purple, and dark blue are the worst for such disasters. Makes you want to avoid those colors all together, doesn't it? It is such a shame for you because the quilt top is such a stunner!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sylvia, I made the star block in May, and the top has been hanging on a hanger waiting to be quilted. Not all of the black in the star block is bad, so I think that either the store that I bought it from, or my Mom had it where it got some kind of sunlight for this to happen. I'm not very good at applique, but I'm going to try and save this (which is an improvement over what I was thinking last night). It might end up being a 20' quilt!

Patty Jo,

Make a freezer paper template the size you need, iron it on the wrong side of the fabric to be used. Now trim with 1/4" seam. Use starch applied with a paint brush, turn over onto the freezer paper and press. Once all the pieces are turned you can take out the freezer paper and applique. It goes really quick and is very accurate.

Liam, I've never had this happen to me before either. I think that this fabric was just plain old and I really don't remember if it was in my Mom's stash or I purchased it. Either way, it just made my stomach do back flips last night when I was trying to quilt it.

Heidi - thanks for the tip on the freezer paper and starch. I've put together a tote with quilt, extra fabrics, needles, thread, needle threader, pins, basting thread, scissors and now I'll go and add starch, freezer paper, a paint brush and my iron in my bag. I think I might need a bigger bag.:o

See, Patty Jo, things happen for a reason. I didn't know about the "Heidi" method of using the starch until this happened to you! Still awful, huh? I was just sitting here thinking about your fabric....I wouldn't be at all surprised if sometime during the life and death of that fabric that just streaks of sunlight came across it. That way the major fabric in hand wouldn't have the dry feel to it while you were cutting and touching it. I just so do hate this for you!!!

PattyJo, If you make the appliques and turn them under over the template ( use something that can stand up to a hot iron for the template like cardstock) Then lightly spray the back with starch to keep it folded underm,then take the template out then use ELMERS SCHOOL GLUE (real important to use the WASHABLE SCHOOL GLUE) poke a really small hole in the glue top or use the mental craft tips and put a small line of glue around the edge of the applique (under on the wrong side of applique) press it on and it will stay there while you applique it on. I've done this for applique for a while. I've even done it and machine appliqued. Its basically the same thing that Sharon Schamber uses for her perfect binding method.

Kristie - your idea is very simular and only one step more than Heidi's and both from Sharon Schamber. I'm going to try and do this at my daughter's house, but with all the grandkids, it may be impossible until I get back home. Thanks for that last little tip.;)

Patty Jo I am sooo sorry this has happened. I am stunned. I have never seen anything like this before.

Your first feathered star was done so well and I was very proud of you and now this. Your finishing is magnificent.

Can you salvage the border and applique? If so, I would love to help you make another star with good fabric.

I am going through my stash today and throw out anything that looks iffy. I too have some old solids that are thinner and need to go. Now I only buy Kaufman Kona solids.

Lynda - thanks for your offer. I'm going to try and Heidi & Kristie's ideas and applique over those spots. If that doesn't work, I will take you up on your offer. You already spent so much time helping me and if this plan doesn't work, I'll come your way ...... whatever happens, I'm bringing it to the moxie meeting. ;)

Guest Linda S

Oh Patty Jo - what a shame. That is such a beautiful quilt! I hope you can cover up the nasty fabric. I haven't read all the way through the posts -- do you know who made that stuff?

Linda

It is a no-name fabric that doesn't look like it has been starched or washed. It could have come from my mom's stash which means it might be 30 yrs old, or I could have bought it within the last 10 years (still old), I think from now on, I'm going to pin a note on fabric with the date that I purchased it so that I can estimate a "pull date" and get it used up. Sorry that I can't be of any more help. Someone on this thread thought that it may have had some sun damage on it at some time. Also, I used this same fabric in the star block but it is only splitting in the very small triangles and the triangles around the center. One thing is that when I hold up another piece of black fabric next to this, this one is really thin. My mom was always buying a bargain, so I'm thinking this might have been one of hers. I should have known better than to just pull out fabric - - - oh well.....lesson learned.

Thanks Bobbi - from my original post until now, I've calmed down a bunch and realize that it really is only a quilt. But I would like to save this quilt if possible. I'm going to try & work on it some tomorrow. I will try and post picks if I get anything done on it.;)

OMG...what a lot of work...I would be in tears coz these are some of my favourite colours......

Maybe fabric is a bit like some threads...the black can be over dyed at source when something turns out not just right so they dye it again in a strong dye bath to make it black....guess we should make sure we buy black fabric from a reputable source after seeing this.....

It's such a beautiful design...hope you can save it???

hollyc - I pressed the block pieces as they were pieced, but I don't think they were scorched....if so everyone at the class would have had scorched piecing as well cause we were all using 2 irons - which ever one was free when we needed to press. I really think that it may be a combo of things - sun rot, pressing, old fabric.....????

Kay - I think that over dying could be the case. Just don't know for sure. A mystery in the world of quilting!

Archived