I don't know how inspiring this is.. THE FIX IS IN!

Back in May, I had a "feathered star" class here at my home. I posted pics of all the beautiful stars that were made, and I've been working on my star. I got the borders, (4 of them) put on my star and started quilting it tonight. Well, my black fabric is shattering. I don't know what else to call it, but the fabric breaks on the stitching line. When I first saw what was happening, I thought that some of my unstitching resulted in a cut in the fabric. But, now, I know that the fabric is rotten. I don't remember where I got the fabric as I have bought black fabric at several fabric shops in the past couple of years, and I just pulled out a piece that was big enough for the project.

Anyway, if there is any remedy that you all can think of for this, I would love to hear it. I've used some fray check and that has helped some, but I can still see some of the slits that have formed. I worked so hard on this star and I'm just sick about this. :(

here is the pic that I posted back after the class.....well, my laptop froze up, so will try and post pic from the office.....

2109305920094956607S500x500Q85.jpg

all those little black triangles are what is causing the problems.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Lyn - I did think of that, but I had so much of the quilting already done before I started on the center...Maybe I'm just lazy. I wanted this quilt to be done....Well, I guess I had better check my stash as I think I had some netting in there.....But I think I'll sleep on this and try and do something with the netting in the morning.

It is just one of those days where everything you try and accomplish does not turn out the way you wanted. so frustration is where I'm at.

Patty Jo,

How disappointing. I'm so sorry because I know how hard you worked on that star and it is so beautiful. I don't know of any way to fix that and I'm afraid that it will probably continue to fracture over time. The netting would at least help. Sorry I'm of no more help. Just think though if you piece a 2nd one it should go twice as fast since you've now had practice.

OHHHH PJ, I'm so sorry! The only solution I have is to just add the borders, and frame it with glass over it... I'm thinking from your picture that it's only 15"-17" at the most? It would look great on your wall in your studio...Then I'd start another with new fabric!

I got the "little bits" patterns at NQA, and I made a 6" feathered star, and I have some larger patterns for it too! It's one of my favorite blocks...

Thanks for all of your notes. I had quilted almost all of the area around the star, before I started quilting in the very middle, so way too late to add any fusible to the back of the star. The triangles that are fracturing are about 1/2 of a 1" square. I will post a picture of it next week. Getting ready to go play for a few days...and get this quilt behind me. And with the borders on it, it is about 50" square so I think putting it under glass is out of the question. It was going to hang on a wall in my living room, but now I'm not so sure. When my customers come into my home, I don't want them seeing a "falling apart" quilt. Oh well, it's only a quilt.....:(

So sorry Patty Jo. Not sure what type of advice to give you but chalk this one up as a lessons learned... It happens the the best of them, so just put it in perspective... ((hugs)) And, think of this one as a "practice" for the even more fabulous quilt you will make in the future. Really!

Now... put this one behind you and go PLAY! :cool: You deserve it.

PS: I cannot view webshots from my work so I can't acutally see your photo posted here right now, but is there a way you can cover up the area by coloring in with an acid free Pigma pen (black?) and color in the places where the fabric is? Like I said I can't really see what's happening. Darned work computers blocks the webshots!

Shana - When this first started happening, my thought was to go and get my permanent black fabric pen and color it in. but now the splits have gone from side to side along the grain, so my next thought is to just give it the heave ho - I'll take a pic of it and try and post without using webshots.

Patty Jo

Sorry to hear your frusterations with this block as it really is pretty.

If you really want to save it you could hand applique new black triangles over the ones that are damaged. Seeing as your stitching would be to the coloured fabric in the star the disintegrating fabric underneath would not have an effect on the new appliqued triangles.

Just make Freezer paper templates the size of the triangles turn under all the edges and blind stitch in place you will never know what lies beneath. It is a lot of work but it would be the best way to solve the problem.

Lisa:)

Thanks Lisa. I'll think about that cause I really have done a lot of work not just in the star itself, but I've added quite a bit to it. Maybe that is the handwork project that I need to take with me while I'm away from home? Anyway, here is a pic of what is happening.....

post--13461904508392_thumb.jpg

OMG! :o Ewwwwwwwww! :( YUCK!

Yeah, that black fabric is nothing but trouble and through the years, will get worse over time and probably disintegrate. I've seen that before---.A friend showed me one of her first quilts made years ago where all of the black patches were nothing but tattered holes. All of the other fabrics were fine and still intact, except that one fabric fell apart. so the quilt was ok except for those patches.

So sorry this happened. Maybe you can make lemonade out of lemons and find a creative way to cover over those black fabrics with applique or something 3-D? Consider it another challenge to learn a new "technique" :) Please share a photo of the whole quilt when finished. Hang in there... Love you girl!

I took my quilt off the frame and will take it with me to try and do some hand work to cover up the rotten fabric. Anyway, that seems to be the only way that this will look even half ways decent. And here is a picture of the whole quilt .....

post--1346190450864_thumb.jpg

i had a black fabric do the same thing in a customer quilt....

i would just applique the pieced shape on top of the offending fabric (just like what they do to 'fix' antique quilts)....it looks like it's the fabric around the octagon in the center of the star....could you possibly use a darker purple or green that is already in the pieced star...that way it would not look like an after thought and wouldn't be noticable...

yuck- but i know what your going thru

Meg, if I knew I would certainly share it, but I have bought black fabric several places and there is no printing on the selvages. I did notice that when I compare what I used with another piece, the one that I used was a lot thinner and less threads per square inch. So my suggestion is to not buy thin fabric. I took this out of my stash and some of the fabrics were even from my Mom's stash, so it really could have been one of hers and I didn't realize it when I chose it. Her fabric could have been 30 years old, but it didn't feel this fragile when I was piecing it. It just showed up when i started to quilt it on the LA. Maybe I need to start putting a pull date on my fabric! :o

Shannon- it is all the small triangles in the star. Not just around the center. I found some other black (not as thin) that I'm going to try and applique over the offending pieces. what a pain in the tookus! But, I really want this quilt completed. I do have some more of the fabrics, so will take all colors with me, and see how it looks when I have more time.

Oh Patty Jo - what a nasty problem! For a new project too... how frustrating!

I agree with everyone else. That quilt is such a beauty you will have to stick with it and find away to fix it. I know that feeling of just want to "be done" with it though....

"Hang in there Little Camper!!" :D It will be worth it!!

Archived