I don't know how inspiring this is.. THE FIX IS IN!

well, after trying Heidi & Kristi's method, I find that more of the black fabric on the outside of the "star" is now shattering.....so I've decided to try and selvage the borders and make a new center Feathered Star. I've been working on applique over the small triangles, and by my handling the fabric, it is getting worse. I can tell that there is a difference in the feel of the fabric from the block to the borders, so I think that the outer black borders of the quilt will be fine.

Lynda, I hope to have this done by the Moxie meeting, but we will see. I decided that anymore work on trying to hide this bad fabric would be in vain. :o

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Patty Jo, How distressting. On the bright side, those roses came out perfect. I knew they would when we talked about it! I love the way it makes the quilt kind of 3D and pulls it all together. So... very carefully take your center out and make a new one. You should have it done by the time I get there....:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P See ya in two!!

Nancy

• 3 weeks later...

Patty Jo, that is so beautiful! Your quilting is just perfect! When I grow up I want to quilt like that! I too am glad you got it all re-done because it just turned out so perfectly. You will treasure this one because you have so much invested in it. Can you tell me about the flowers in the border? Did you cut those from fabric in one piece and attach them? I like the way they surround that star. Looks just too good. Congrats!:D

Sylvia - that is a border fabric that I found. It came in a couple of different colorways, this is the purple & green. I actually found this fabric in the "sale" room of a local quilt shop and bought all that was left on the bolt, so I had a bit left over and I did cut out 4 of the motif's and that is what is on the inside borders. I fused them in place and then quilted them.

Kay - thank you for your kind comments. Because it was a thorn in my side, I'm going to consider it an heirloom - not because of the quilting, but of all the handling, blood, sweat & tears that went into it! ;)

Oh Patty Jo - I know you are SO glad to be done with this critter finally - but really - it did turn out GREAT!!! I LOVE Purple - this is just a very beautiful piece. I like your swirls in the black border - cute... Well done!

I am glad that you stuck with it and then posted a photo of the finished project... :cool:

Thank you everyone for your notes of encouragements. I gave up trying to salvage the original block so I made a new one and thankfully I had enough of the fabrics to do that. And I only had to make one call to my great friend & teacher. I'm just glad it is done!:)

Guest Linda S

You did a beautiful job! Good for you for hanging in there and fixing it all. I probably would have thrown in the towel, but now you have a beautiful quilt with lots of memories!

Patty Jo that is the most BEAUTIFUL quilt. This would look great in my living room....lol It is worth every blood, sweat and tear. What size was the center block?? I love the quilting, color, star, flowers, everthing about it. This is going in my FAVORITES.

Can't quit looking at this quilt. Did you use a certain light when quilting with the black thread so that you could see where you were quilting????

Congratulations Patty Jo, I was wondering how you were able to fix that rotten fabric, then I saw you had to redo the entire block. Oh well you would not have been happy if you had not it is just too gorgeous not to have it hold up for the duration!1 great job and perseverance does pay off!!

thanks to all of you who like my quilt. I like it too. I'm getting ready to hang it in my living room. I think that I'll name it "Pain in the Rear" just cause it was! LOL ;)

Rebecca - the center is a 15" block and from the book "Feathered Star Quilt Blocks 1" by Marsha McCloskey. Also, when quilting, I did it in the daytime with only light coming in from my windows and the light on the Millie. It was easy to see where I was and where I needed to go because of the shadows that the open windows provided onto my quilt. I also used 2 layers of poly batting.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad that this didn't end up in the garbage can. That's where I thought it was going to go after the fabric shattered, but the new fabric and some patience paid off. As well as some good quilting friends who gave me some added tips on how to put the center block into the already pieced borders. Thank you all. ;)

Archived