Customer attached binding to quilt top beforehand

susanramey

A new customer dropped off a quilt the other day and she had already attached the binding to the quilt top. This is a memory quilt with photos using batik fabrics. It'll be custom and I will do the borders separately with feathers. This is a new one to me-but, will I run into any problems and what should I avoid doing??? Has anyone had this situation with a customer quilt top before?

The quilt top is well made and is flat and square and is about 84 x 74. Any advice?

Thanks so much!

Usually the binding is sewn down through the three layers of the quilt, so I'm confused. Does she already have the top, backing and batting together?

I just finished a quilt on the longarm that I started quilting on my Bernina a couple years ago. Had it pinbasted, SID around inner border, and then stay-stitched 1/4 inch all around the outside edges. Then I trimmed off most of the extra backing, so didn't have much to attach the clamps to. Evidently I couldn't get a good enough stretch with the clamps from side to side, because I ended up with a few pleats. DGD doesn't care -- she's just happy that gummi is making her a quilt. But I don't think I'll be pin-basting those layers together again.

Ditto above.

Remove the binding...(Keep the PITA charge) then, use your machine to attach the binding if you want, when you are done quilting it.

THEN you can let her know that the extra charge is for undo-ing and reattaching the binding. Then kindly explain the process to her so she will understand.

ALOT of gals out there have NO idea what a longarm looks like, let alone know the correct procedures in quilting a quilt on them.

We agree - it needs to be removed - it will shrink and do other weird things you do not want to happen.

Now it the time to bond with your new customer, call them and ask them to stop by and show them why and what for and be nice and informative and show them what you want and and it all trends to a job that will make them happy and enhance the beauty of all the work they've done.

I did hand-quilting on the frame with my inspiration, my Grandmother. On a wooden frame the quilt is stabilized and not moved. The rollers and set up of the frame on the long arm machine need to be able to move freely to a point and retract as you advance the quilt, the binding will be--LOL" BINDING", and not allow this to happen.

I have done quilts with the binding attatched. No problem BUT I tell the c ustomer the binding might not look good after it is done. There are just some things that are not my fault!!. Bad piecing, wavy borders I just keep quilting and do the best I can. They always love the quilt when they pick it up. So unless you are going to charge her a fee to remove it just quilt it and let her worry about it and if she takes it off or leaves it on it is her problem. Sorry had surgery on my arm it hurts and I am cranky. Better stop hitting the reply button.

Nora

Guest Linda S

My reaction just from reading your post was: Customer attached binding, customer can remove binding! Binding really should be sewn through all three layers of the quilt. You just can't have it attached to the top. Sort of defeats the whole purpose of stabilizing the edge of the quilt. What the heck was she thinking?

I too have quilted a quilt that was already bound. I warned the customer that there might be slight tucks in the backing because the layers might shift unevenly (since I couldn't put the backing on the roller separately).

I laid the quilt out flat on the floor and pin basted across the quilt about every 12" just to try and keep things from shifting. As I advanced, I removed the pins from the area I was working on.

I ended up with a few tiny tucks, but nothing major, and it turned out fine. I pinned strips of fabric to the sides to give my clamps something to hold onto, and pinned the binding to the canvas leaders.

Good luck!

Julia

I had a friend that wanted me to set her quilt together for her. I told her that I didn't have time. She found someone to do it. Guess what, the binding is sewn on. I think it will be too full after it is quilted. I am going to take it off, quilt the top and put it back on. In the long run, I think it will be less trouble for me.

Archived