To Float or Not and Why

I was shown how to float my quilts. I've also been shown how to attach my quilt top on the bar and baste/tack onto the backing at the top. I usually float.

Do you float and if so - how do you make sure the bottom of the quilt remains as square as possible with the pulling in from the quilting?

Do you attach the top to the roller and do you still find the bottom of the quilt top has issues when you get to the bottom of the quilting?

Do you do both and if so, when do you attach to the roller bar?

Thanks,

Laura

i float my tops. The first quilt i ever put on the machine, i pinned it both top and bottom. hated the way the bottom flared out at the corners. Found out how to float and haven't looked backed. I use the Dave-Jane clamps to 'mark' where the edges of the quilt should be (I put these clamps on the top roller (?) ... see, i can't even remember what that roller is since I don't use it)... anyway, the clamps are my visual guide for the sides as I roll the quilt up. Then I will either pin the sides, spray the sides with 505, or do the 1" inch basting stitch down the side ... whatever feels right for the top. I have never, repeat never, had an issue with the bottom using this method. No dog ears, no flying corners, etc. I'm blessed in that most of the quilts i quilt are pretty square with borders that don't wave at me, and such as that. Float that top, i say!

I'm with Holly--except I mark on that un-used top roller canvas with a blue water erase pen. I mark the outside edges and also the first border seam. As I advance I eyeball to see if the horizontal seams are straight and adjust with each advance if necessary. That way when I get to the bottom, there are no surprises.

I do both, depending on the quilt and how flat it is. If there's any suspicion of fulness in the quilt body or borders, I will do a full float. Then I can ease in the fulness as I go. I do a lot of pin basting if I'm doing a custom quilt in this manner to keep everything smooth and even.

If the quilt is nice and flat, I prefer to do a partial float ie pin the bottom edge of the quilt top onto the roller and baste the top edge of the quilt about 1" down from the leaders. I do prefer this method as I feel, like Linda above, the quilt is more under control.

With the other method, I need to keep checking everything is square and level with each advance. But sometimes it needs to be done like this to get the best result.

Shelley

Meg - I'm the ultimate in lazy. I have pinned one quilt to the frame (it was tiny), but I won't ever do it again. The first thing I sewed on my Liberty was the zippers!! I baste or chain stitch everything to the zippers and zip them on. No pins, no blood.

I float always. I used Linda R's method except I use the pink centering tape measure with little sliding tabs to mark my edges, center and border. I actually took my top rail off to get it out of the way. The centering tape also marks my quilting area so I don't forget. I usually decide what I am going to quilt on the quilt as I go along so having it all visible allows me to stand back and stare at different areas as I go.

My top rail is now hanging below ala doodlebug's idea for keeping the batting and in my case the top from hanging on the floor. It is always a good feeling when the quilt is done enough to not reach the floor any more. I know I am getting somewhere with it.

Originally posted by newellyn

I float always. I used Linda R's method except I use the pink centering tape measure with little sliding tabs to mark my edges, center and border. I actually took my top rail off to get it out of the way. The centering tape also marks my quilting area so I don't forget. I usually decide what I am going to quilt on the quilt as I go along so having it all visible allows me to stand back and stare at different areas as I go.

My top rail is now hanging below ala doodlebug's idea for keeping the batting and in my case the top from hanging on the floor. It is always a good feeling when the quilt is done enough to not reach the floor any more. I know I am getting somewhere with it.

wait a minute - you removed the top bar? :o:o:o:o:o how does your brake work without it? :o:o:o:o

this would make my life easier cause then my arms could be lower while i quilt.

omigosh - all this pimping of your rides is about to make my head is about to explode!

I float my tops.

I have also taken off my top bar to get around "vertically challenged". The circle is a piece of timber cutout from benchtop cut out for taps. My husband screwed a piece of dowel to it.

I don't engage the brake fully, so that I don't overtighten my tops, and I don't need to loosen it to roll the top either.

Works for me and Like Linda I can then look at the quilt top and work out what I am going to do next.

Lyn

So glad I read this thread. I have been having issues with my extended base hitting my roller. Think I'll ask DH if he can rig something for my brake and I'll remove the roller. The rollers are already as high as they will go and the base still bumps the front which reduces quilting space. The removed roller would be great under the table to keep the batting and quilt top out of the way. Thanks for the ideas!!!

I like to float my tops. I use the quilt clamps to mark the right and left edge of the quilt.

I'm on the wrong computer right now but will post a picture of my "Little Adapter" later tonight.

I bought it from a quilter in California and I know she still sells them. A few Moxie's have gotten them too. I'll post that contact info as well. It is really inexpensive, I think $35 or so.

It really is nice to have it gone. I have a shoulder problem and reaching over that bar hurt me. The fact that I am vertically and horizontally challenged doesn't help.:mad:

I float a top that is not square or if it has wonky borders. It's easier to control that way. However, it's much quicker if I roll the quilt onto the roller - why, because I'm not having to mess with the quilt continually and it stays out of the way. Much easier to take care of stray threads on the batting as well.

When I attach the quilt to the roller I just lay it against a drawn line on the canvas, put a pin in the center and a few here and there - then roll. It's real quick. ;) I don't pin the quilt to the leader or any zippers. Very little time lost. If needed, I release it mid-way through or closer to the end.

As promised, here is a pic of the Little Adapter. I also am posting some pics of how I now use my top rail to keep the tops and batting from laying on the floor.

Here is the email address for the little adapter:

peachfarmer@sbcglobal.net

If you go to the search and type in little adapter and set it "from the beginning" you'll see a previous discussion of it.

2731223430098991033S425x425Q85.jpg

2907718390098991033S425x425Q85.jpg

2724510460098991033S425x425Q85.jpg

2576234150098991033S425x425Q85.jpg

Archived