Which show to attend???

barbm

Okay, time to step up for your favorite show: I'm talking MQS, MQX, HMQS (have I forgotten other acronyms?).....

I truly thought I would be attending MQX West in Portland in October 2011, since it's only a few hours away from me. Sadly, the Spokane Quilt Show is the same weekend, and I just can't get them to change their date!!:mad: And if I don't attend as a vendor in Spokane in 2011, there's no guarantee I will be able to come back as a vendor in future years, so MQX West isn't an option for me.:( - although my DH has offered to run the booth for me so that I can attend - isn't he a sweetie?:cool:

I have attended MQS in Kansas City the past three years (2008, 2009, 2010) and HMQS in 2007. I also attended Innovations in 2007. I haven't been to any of the other big Machine Quilting shows.

Finally, the big question: Which show do you prefer as an attendee? And why? Classes, events, the people that attend with you - c'mon, let's dish!!

Well, I'm not prejudiced or anything, but you know Paducah is known as Quilt City, USA!!! Lots to do all week during the quilt show, and come before the quilt show for some good sales!! The town rolls out the red carpet for quilters. We could have an APQS forum get-together one nite. Would love to see ya'all here.

Which show do you recommend for a newbie Longarmer? I decided to work on learning what I could on my own this year, and then attend classes next year after I had learned a little, and could ask intelligent questions. Portland or Salt Lake City would be closest for me, but I'm willing to travel farther to get the most bang for the buck. I'm wondering whether APQS classes in Iowa would be the most valuable for an inexperienced quilter, or whether some of the fancier classes at one of the shows would be better.

To ALL: Have attended and taken classes at both Houston and Paducah, I really prefer Houston, It's all under one roof, the accomodations are first class, ( I found that you can do less $$ and still be close enough to take free shuttles all day to the convention center.

In Houston,I have found the people and teachers from all over the world to be the best part of the show, and of course the quilts.....:D The show in Paducah is good, but it has the drawbacks of split venues and I and my friends (we all stayed in different places) weren't happy with the hotels. The quilts were great. The venders in Paducah are split up in downtown storefronts, and in the main buildings. One year I was there it rained, hard to get places without getting soaked.

I found great teachers at both places, and the major vendors do both shows.

Flying into Paducah is really hard, Houston easy and for me cheap.

Both shows are "large" so if huge isn't your thing beware. I allow 2-3 days of viewing for the show in Houston, so I don't get overload:P:P Pat

Barb

Personally I would like you to attend MQX west as that is where I will be next fall.

Dory and I have been planning this show for a while, and it can't come too soon for me :)

I had the great fortune to go to 2 shows last year (yes I was spoiled, but I am OK with that ;)) First was MQX then MQS. I also attended Innovations in 2007 shared a room with 2 great ladies and had a fabulous time.

Hard to pick one as I enjoyed myself at all three. If I only had one choice I would pick MQS in MQX's venue. Is that possible??? Probably not, too bad though.

Providence is so easy to get around, everything is within easy walking distance. Overland Park is very spread out and if you do not have a vehicle it is very difficult to get around.

The classes were top notch at both shows. The class price was a little more at MQX but you didn't have to join IMQA as part of the registration so I think the price for me worked out equal as I took several classes at both shows.

Both had very good vendor malls, Innovation's vendor mall was quite a bit smaller.

For me the deciding factor came down to the unbelievably kind, generous, friendly people at MQS. Hands down they made me feel very welcome and I miss them terribly. Joyce took Linnea and myself to a local quilt shop between classes and we had such a fabulous time. Kay drove us to dinner when our other dinner plans fell through and then took us to see her amazing work in her studio. Those are just 2 of the many acts of the wonderful welcomming people at MQS.

The people I met at MQX were also very nice, had a great time at Fire and & Ice and met some of the wonderful members of this forum who I wish I had been able to spend more time with, but those midwest quilters are over the top, beyond anything that I would have expected.

I would go back to either MQX or MQS without hesitation. The bottom line for me is that I can drive to Portland, a very long drive that is, but that is ideal for shopping :):)

I had a friend who went to HMQS and raved about it, loved every minute of it. Unfortunately, I have not gone yet ;)

If you are looking at a show specifically for longarm classes and vendors MQX, MQS, HMQS or MQX west (I am hoping) will have you covered.

As far as Houston or Paducah I have not been but would jump at a chance to see those quilts!!!!!:cool::cool:

That is enough rambling, hope this helps Barb,

Lisa :)

Guest Linda S

I absolutely LOVE MQX, but then again, I've not been to MQS. I've heard it's similar, but bigger. I kind of like the friendly feel of MQX - it's like having a big pajama party with your quilty friends. The women who run it are very attentive to detail and do a super job. If your husband will run your booth, Barb, I'd say give MQX a go for at least a day or two. I think you'll love it. I'm hoping (maybe) to go to HMQS soon -- either 2011 or 2012. I've been to Houston, it's great, but super exhausting!

This year, I'm thinking about going either to HMQS or the new show in Milwaukee, WI. This last August was their 1st year, but I've heard that it was a good show. The draw for me to WI, is that is where Quilter's Rule is located and then I could meet all the people that I've talked to on the phone, and the draw for me to HMQS is that there are 2 ladies that are in a small longarm group that I belong to that have gone the last couple of years and they rave about how good it is. More and more Longarm classes each year. So......that's what I'm debating. I'll watch this thread to see what others say.

I went to MQS for my first big show (ever) this year. I had a ball! Wonderful classes, the venue was easy to get around, the folks that ran it were friendly and helpful. Check out when the show actually begins, I was there a day early for the actual show, but didn't know it.:( I stayed at the Hyatt, super clean rooms, refridgerator in room, delish healthy free breakfast (expensive to eat other meals at hotel), staff super helpful, free internet, excellent beds, clean sheets and pillows!!!!!!!!! ( I am fussy, I know it. I always bring my own pillow, but couldn't as I had to fly in to the show.) They had a shuttle service available and Jose took me wherever I wanted to go. He was a real sweetie! There is a Wendy's in walking distance from the hotel for meals other than the free breakfast, however I took another shuttle with some friends to other restaurants once we hooked up. There is an Indian restaurant there that is wonderful!!! (read: ate too much, but every bite was soooo good!) Would go again in a heartbeat!!

I have attended the MQS show five times, it's a great show. Fun meeting the APQS friends between classes. Weather is great a bit windy but great. I think i'm ready to vist another show, maybe Paducah next year .... never been there. Milwaukee was great for the first year, close to home...will go again next year. Houston is on my list for next year also.

Barb ~ I will likely do MQS and Houston in 2011. MQS works with my slow time for shows and quilting since all the snowbirds will fly up North by May. I have several friends doing Market at Houston this year and it sounds great, so with the new store, I think that I will do Houston next year.

No matter where it is, hope to see you soon!

The best part of MQX was the APQS get together at "Fire and Ice", what a whoot!!! I would love to attend market and show in Houston next year but heard it's impossible to get rooms? What's the scoop? Heard the same about Paducah, which is drivable from VA?

I have gone to MQS twice and Houston 3 times. I actually have never had an issue finding a room in Houston. I booked in June last year and was able to get a room at the Doubletree which is one of the hotels that is on the Festival bus loop. This year I went to Market, but not Festival, and stayed at the Hilton. It was nice being able to run back to the room whenever I wanted. But honestly being able to sit on the bus and relax on the way back to to hotel was nice last year as well.

Festival is crazy! It's a fun crazy, but if you don't like crowds, you will probably not enjoy it. It is super crowded in the vendor mall most of the time.

In 2011 I will probably go back to MQS, AQS Nashville and Houston. I may go to MidAtlantic as well.

Barb, The only big show that I have gone to so far is the new one in Milwaukee this year. I took 5 classes from 4 different teachers and feel like I learned so much! Everyone was great, from the staff at the show, the teachers, etc, etc.

Would love to go to MQS in 2011 but don't know if this will happen since I have a new grandbaby due in 3 weeks in TX so will need to save vacation time so that I can have more "bonding time" with that new little bundle. :)

Archived