audiobook site/service suggestions...

i have an Itouch that i use to listen to music while i quilt (pandora) but i was wondering if there are any books in mp3 format sites that i should check out...like netflicks- pay a reasonable rate and download and listen to books, including new releases and best sellers. i have found 'classics' for free sites, but i would like access to newer titles...

any thoughts or opinions :)

Guest Linda S

I have a subscription to Audible.com. You do have to be careful about abridged/unabridged versions, but I've been with them for years and have been very satisfied. I have a huge library.

I use audible.com also. I wanted to let everyone know that Amazon is running a special $100 of ipod if you also get a one year membership to audible.

"Special Offer: Save $100 on the cost of this product when you agree to join Audible.com's AudibleListener® Gold program for 12 months at $14.95 per month. If this product costs less than $100, you will receive it for free. Here's how to join the AudibleListener Gold program. See the complete list of all qualifying products. See further details. This offer does not apply to products sold on Amazon.com by third-party merchants."

Peggy

We haven't tried audible, but we downloade an app called stanza and then went to www.drinkmalk.com and you can download books to read free. They recently put a limit of 5 downloads per day due to abuse. :( But you always have something to grab and read when you have a few min waiting for this or that.

I LOVE audible! I listen to books all the time and have probably spent far more than my monthly fee, but its worth it. I can do so much while listening...on occasion, it even includes cleaning my house!

With regard to the library, if you're listening on an IPod, its a bit more challenging to download in the correct order, but it can be done. If you google it, there is a step-by-step guide.

There's nothing better than having someone read you a story:D:P

Shannon,

I used to work at a public library. They subscibe to a site called Overdrive.com. Overdrive offers audio books on MP3 format which you download to your home PC, then you can transfer them to your MP3 player (such as an iPod, etc.). We found, after trial and error, that works better than directly downloading to your MP3 player. Also, they have it set up so that, when your "check out" time is up, it wil encrypt so that you can't listen to it anymore. If you download it to your PC and then transfer it to your MP3 player, it will encrypt on the PC after the due date, but not on the MP3 player. My daughter and husband love Overdrive. My daughter is in Korea and uses my library card to access the local library's website here in Wisconsin and downloads audiobooks to her laptop in Korea. The service is free to anyone with a library card.

Archived