Home Quilting Machines

My stomach did a flip flop as I learned this past week that two of my club members have purchased the new home-type quilting machines, one a Viking and one a Pfaff. I have done their quilts in the past but know that I have now lost this business. I'm new and trying to build my business and then to see this happen....well, you can imagine my distress. I've gone on-line and previewed these machines. They both have a very tiny moveable table and a stitch regulator but they have gained nothing with the throat space. What do other long-armers think? My stomach thanks you!!

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I explored the Viking Mega Quilter with Inspira Quilting frame and thought it was the worst setup I've ever tried. I'm sorry you lost their business, but I don't think you have to worry about this alternative option that people now have as something that will take away all of your future business. If you gave one of these babies a try, I'm sure you'd feel very reassured with your APQS and thank your lucky stars you invested in it as opposed to the Viking. The throat space they have to quilt in is so limited, it does provide considerable constraint on the quilting space they will have to work with. Also, I spent some time on the Yahoo Group owners site for this setup and read about so many problems with thread breakage on this system with the frame. I thought the stitch regulator performed terribly and when you spend time on their group, you'll learn, they have to quilt with an even steady motion at a constant speed that is just right in order to get it to work properly without breaking thread, skipping stitches etc. I've heard some people were so frustrated that they gave up and returned it to the dealer. Viking is now pushing their "fabric mover" (Retail $1200) with stitch regulator and what a joke that is, I am sorry to say. I gave it a test run at a dealer that was the 4th largest by volume in the country, and they've been struggling with it for almost a week now and can't get it to perform properly.

Don't worry, I honestly think you don't thave a thing to worry about!

Kathy

I tried the new fabric mover with stitch regulator and was not impressed. I only used it for a very brief period but it didn't seem to have a smooth movement. Of course, that could be operator error. It just felt jerky to me. I'm sure with practice, you could get better at it, but I don't see it replacing a LA. Like already stated, you are still dealing with the DSM throat plate.

I think you will see your customers again. Just my two cents worth.

Gail

I think that after awhile, these ladies will come back to you. the smaller machines are good for wall hangings and other small quilts, but if they do larger quilts, they will soon find out it isn't what they had hoped. I say to just hang on and they will be come back to you. My 2 cents worth

I started out with one of those, Grace frame with a Janome 1600P. Let them do a king size quilt once and be so frustrated with only being able to go in one direction, turning the quilt every 4 inches and if it is a long king you have to turn it around to finish the last 3 feet. I did this for a customer before I knew better. Whenever I think about this I hug my dear Ms Lizzie, she's the best.

Sheryl

www.shedznbedz.com

I agree with everyone else. Let them try a bigger quilt and they'll be back. I went to a real longarm because it's so frustrating to quilt on these other machines. I did approach it as a business to quilt for others, but I couldn't stand to quilt anything bigger than a baby quilt on mine. It is also hard to stitch regulate although some people get good at it. I think freeform designs are much easier on the real deal.

Hi Sharon,

Don't worry about lost business, they will be back! I have a couple of customers that have these set-ups. They use them for small quilts that I probably wouldn't have done for them anyway. They would have wrestled them through their DSM.

Once the novelty of their "new toy" wears off and the frustration builds, they will be calling you.

Keep on plugging away and show them what you can do on your "real" longarm, they will bring the ones that need more than just a meander.

Patty

I echo...everyone here so far. Don't worry to much they will try to do a huge quilt and either finish it to never do another one or they will bring it to you half finished and want you to do the rest.

I use a Janome 1600DP right along with my longarm machine and have a happy marriage with both....the smaller one is for smaller quilts (wallhanging, table runners etc) and the larger is for just that larger quilts....

They will try to see what the huge hoopla is about being a quilter and they very well will be coming back to you....some not all have the idea that quilting is a great glorious money maker and when they get into it they realize...man this is work and decide that they would rather be with their families than quilting for others.....

They'll be baaaacccckk! ;):D I've seen an awful lot of these machines for sale -- USED! They are probably fine for small quilts or wallhangings, but your customers are going to need you for bigger stuff.

Linda

Sharon, First off, let me say that I know exactly how you feel. See my archived post "I've been backstabbed". Then let me say that no matter how discouraged you get you have to keep at it. About a month ago I was ready to quit. The LQS bought a Grand quilter, she now does in house quilting. But you know what, I have gotten two new customers since then, neither one from this area. And I just won a ribbon in the St. Jude contest.

Also, my son is stationed in Iraq and he has a guy there who wants me to make him a quilt. So you never know where you will get business. And, those ladies will be looking for a longarm quilter when they discover the limitations of their machines. Just practice, practice, practice. Take some classes. Make lots of samples. Enter everything you can, and talk to everybody you meet about quilting.

Oh my gosh, guys, can you believe this is ME giving advice???? LOL

Thank you all for your encouragement....I'll just keep my head up and keep smiling. The local shop has asked me to do a sample of my work sooo that may be a break for me. Life is hectic especially still working full-time, my practice time is limited, but I believe this is the direction God has placed me to go, so I'll keep pressing on....

You guys are all a great inspiration.

Sharon.

Please remember that these machines aren't longarms, and in my opinion not even a good substitute when you are short of space. I use a Brother PQ1500 for most of my quilt making and did try it on a frame before I got the discovery. It is very limited. Either you have the machine static and move the quilt to do large designs, which puts a huge strain on your back, shoulders and wrists. Or you put the machine on teh frame and roll the quilt, restricting you to 6" designs at the very best. I can see a lot of reasons why people will still want the services of a longarm quilter.

On a brighter note I had my first paying customer today :) OK I only had to baste a cot quilt for her, but it was still a paying customer.

Ferret

--

Ferret

http://ferfab.blogspot.com

http://www.ferfab.co.uk

I find it sad that you are so negative towards those who can't afford the APQS system. Every time someone submits a question about one the the lower price systems they are attacked on all sides. All they (we) want is to enjoy quilting.

You should be encouraging and helpful to those who are learning...no matter what system they purchase. If you want to keep them as a customer, see what you can do to offer help as they learn how to quilt....Over time, those who purchase the home quilting system from Pfaff and others will hope to join the big leagues. If they can never afford to upgrade as a professional, they most likely will use your services. The more you encourage them, the more likely they are to find ways to join your group...as my DH says, what goes around comes around...so you may want to make sure you encourage all quilters...not just those in the big leagues.

Quilting nut, I don't think that we are trying to be negative toward those that can't afford a longarm, just stating facts. Those small machines are very limited in their capabilities. Most people who buy a small machine end up upgrading. The availability of patterns, pantos, and stencils has grown. There are so many beautiful things that can be done, but some can not be done on a DSM with a movable platform on a frame. Also, most DSM are not designed for quilting full time. Unless you purchase a high end, high dollar model, your machine may not hold up to the rigors of quilting.

I think it is great that machine quilting is catching on; I wish it would catch on in my area. I just feel that the small home embroidery/quilting combo type setups will never be able to perform at the same level as any longarm'

APQS, Gammill, Nolting, Prodigy, or whatever.

I have seen a few of people that have purchased the smaller systems and they always seem to be happy for about 6 months to a year and then after that time they seem to get anxious to move onto something bigger and better... Its not to say that everyone can move on but I have seen some. As for someone that wants to quilt for a business... It would be scary to know that someone may not need your services anymore, especially if you depend on the money that comes in. I do not plan to do it full time for a while, I want to be able to enjoy my kids and also my own quilts for a good while.... while taking on some clients just not in a full time basis. I hope that in doing that I will be covering all bases. Husband,Kids,Job,Clients,Life,Quilting. (We can all dream! can't we? :P)

I do not quilt for other people. Have done about 30 of my own quilts on the Mega Quilter and the old 1920 machine my DH set up for me on an xy movement on a Hinterberg frame. Both were short arm machines. I do have the Millenium and have started doing some of my tops on it but I have a lot to learn about staying on the lines SID and have not even tried free motion. I like the laser but some of my quilts are three dimensional and the foot could get stuck under a bow tie or a flap of some sort. I really don't like to have to practice without seeing something come of it. Some of my quilting leaves a lot to be desired. I am struggling along and maybe someday will make a quilt to be proud of. Meantime I still have about 15 more tops to finish. Just want to get them done before I die. Finished the Stars Across America with the Millenium. That is the one I started hand quilting in 2003 before I cut off my left thumb. It sat on the hand quilting frame til last week and then I put it on the Millenium, traced stars onto the white part and stitched them and then used Red White and Blue Mega Lock thread for the colored stars. It is not great but it is done. Bound signed and folded, may hang it up as a biggg wall hanging.

Marion,

I do a lot of pantos too. Freehand is spooky to me:). I am thinking that if you are going to do pantos you should do them on your flat quilts, not the 3-D, because of the folds and tucks that you cannot watch out for from the back of the machine. Then when you feel more confident, and want to try freehand, then load a 3-D and have at it, that way you can meander around your tucks and do something to show them off. Just a thought.

I love this site because it has so much useful information for all quilters no matter what brand machine they have, but I understand what Quiltingnut is saying. When it comes right down to it, all brands of quilting machines do the same thing--quilt. I've also noticed sometimes if someone does a post and actually admits they do NOT have an APQS machine, their posts get almost no replies. I feel bad for those quilters because they want answers, too, and you have to admit, this is a great place for answers:)

You know, I think you may be misinterpreting our comments here. I have nothing against a quilter who buys a small quilting frame for their home use. The thing that bothers me is seeing the systems that are fairly flimsy and not very useful. These things are not cheap -- they will still cost you a few thousand dollars. To buy them and then end up disappointed a few months later is not something I would want to see happen to anyone. There are a few smaller, sturdy systems that are worthwhile, but I hate seeing someone taken advantage of. I think this has happened far too often with people buying an "inexpensive" system. In the long run, they are stuck with the not very useful system and then the expense of buying what they wished they had started out with. I'm sorry if any of you were offended.

Linda

Gable 428

It may be as simple as we [apqs owners] do not know much about how the other brands work ? I for one do not know about the small DMS that you all are talking about . I saw one a few yrs ago at Sister's . I tried it for 10 min that was enough for me . I guess I have just have never noticed any one not replying for type of machine they have . Just a thought . I will take a closer look at some of the questions . I tend to only go to the ones that I need help or advice on . :)

Linda and Carol, thank you for the explanation. I also don't know much about the home systems. I have a Nolting which costs me thousands of dollars and I have to say I am happy with it. Like Quiltingnut said, those with the smaller home systems will most likely upgrade to the bigger systems one day, but until then they will have to work with what they have and I think it would be great to be able to help them out, too. Goodness knows I need lots of help and this is one of my favorite sites to find it.

Gable

Archived