Irish Chain center design

Thanks so much! It sorta brought the quilt into the 21st century!

I have had a couple of contacts through email and chatters here wondering about how the center motif was accomplished.

I used a purple air-erase pen and marked diagonals through the corners to find the center of the square.

On that big X I used a circle shape from my circle bin (containing plastic lids, bottle tops, a couple of actual templates, Tupperware lids, etc) and used the lid that was the best size to mark the clover/four circle shape.

I put one edge of the circle on the center point and marked the arc between the big X. Four arcs made the clover.

On the first block I marked each leaf on the clover-shaped spine, decided on the direction of the swirls, and figured the center area. Then I stitched it--no template or ruler--remember, once the marks are gone, the forgiving nature of stitches on fabric will make it hard to tell if I was off the line!

I spritzed off the marks and let it dry a bit to investigate whether it looked OK.

Then I marked the "bones" on the next block--the big X, the center clover shape, the directions of the swirls, and the four leaves in the middle that point to the center. After three or four blocks, the placement of leaves and swirls become easier, but the spine and swirls were still marked on each one.

Thanks again--such encouragement warms my heart!:)

Linda - you would make a wonderful Instructor and/or Teacher! I understood your directions very well, and your quilting is awesome as always!

Even though I am not a fan of cc's (at all!) I do like them on this quilt - you really did a great job of making it sing....

Archived