NQR-Shoulda' stayed inside today...almost well

Oh Vickie, That hand looks awful! Will you still be able to go to the guild meeting on Saturday? When Brian was severely stung a couple of years ago we were told to use a product called PRID. You can get it at a drug store. It's supposed to help stop the burning from the stings. Let me know if you need help with anything. I'm only 40 minutes away! Talk to you soon.

Love,

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My neighbor is a pharmacist; he said it looks pretty good for that many stings (!), easy for him to say!! Just keep up the ice and benedryl. He said if the finger turns completely purple the blood flow is restricted and I should see dr.

Thanks, Debbie; and everyone please keep your fingers crossed that swelling goes down. Saturday I am taking my Millie to our guild to quilt charity quilts all day! Debbie has agreed to come and help; yea Debbie! Thank goodness I have all the tops pressed, backings loaded to zippers and batting and bindings cut. It will be a "new style" quilting bee (don't say the b word!!)

Guest Linda S

Oh please go to a doctor! If you have a bad reaction like that, it may be an indicator of trouble down the road. You could be allergic and it would be advisable to have an epipen handy if you get stung again. Ask me how I know! After a bucking bronco ride on the back of my horse after the horse ahead of me hit a branch with a white-faced hornets nest on it, I'm lucky to be alive. Your next reaction could be your throat swelling shut like that. No air is NOT good! I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, Shana! I just wanta wine (I mean whine!). The pharmacist said that it was good that I immediately applied the ice and kept doing ice packs all day or it would be a lot worse.

Saturday will be a Fun Day! I'm really looking forward to it! We have so many ladies who piece tops, but it is hard to get them finished up so I volunteered to bring my Millie on my show table and set it up for the day. Gonna try to get gals to take turns doing some simple quilting. I have a couple of helpers (Thanks, Debbie) who are experienced machine quilters to help them along.

Will let you all know how it goes!!

Pharmacists is right. Use ice intermittently and take the Benadryl. If you have something for pain you could take it too. Watch for discoloration (blue or purplish) which could indicate a circulatory problem. If there is going to be breathing problems they happen right away...I'd say your safe in that respect. The doctor would probably only look at it and say "yup, they got you pretty good." and tell you the same thing.

When my son was about 10 years old he got tangled up with a bee hive nest. He had about 30 stings all over his head. We had fun finding all those stingers. The ER treated him with meds, watched him for about 2 hours and sent him home. Told me that this could precipitate an allergy the next time he gets stung so to be aware of that. Huh??? That was 30 years ago and he hasn't ever had a reaction to a bee sting, but he gets hives pretty easily and we don't know why. He always has Benadryl close by just in case.

If we look for a bright side of this...at least it is in an area where you can show people and garner a lot of sympathy. I got biten by a spider under my shorts at my panty line and it was ugly and painful and I couldn't show it to anyone.

Originally posted by Judy Ingram

Oh Vickie, how awful! If it feels as bad as it looks, you either need a prescription or a lot more margarita mix!

Judy, she must be in the margarita mix cause she's not posting to my question! I hope she's better!!!;)

Applied ice all day; got a "rush" job from a customer so had to quilt anyway...luckily was able to use my boards so can do with one hand and the other wrapped in an ice pack!

Finished for the day, so three guess as to what's in this cup.... (hint, notice the frosty ice on the outside of the cup - feels good on the stings)

post--13461906189031_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by oma

....at least it is in an area where you can show people and garner a lot of sympathy. I got biten by a spider under my shorts at my panty line and it was ugly and painful and I couldn't show it to anyone.

Oma - you are SO funny!!!!:P:P:D:D What a hoot you must be to talk with in person!! :cool:

Poor you Vickie, looks so painful. Don't take too much of that Benadryl either. I had taken it before, and the pack was not expired either, but ended up in A&E having a very bad reaction to Benadryl a few years ago and they honestly thought that I was having a stroke. My face, arms, and legs went numb and tingly, I could not speak and I could barely remember my name, let alone say it !!! They did various tests on me, asked if I had been drinking alcohol or taking drugs, and even though I told them that the only think I had taken was antihistamine. A junior doctor actually told me I had a stroke !!! How scary was that. I ended up being very sick in the end when my body rejected the antihistamine.

I hope your fingers get back to normal very soon.

Hey Janette:

I don't like taking benedryl..just taking what I absolutely have to right now. I have never had a reaction to antihistamine, but I keep on the conservative side, only 1 every 6 hours. Finally broke down today and took some Motrin for the fever and achiness. Hope the swelling goes down overnight. It is painful and itchy so is that a good sign....maybe healing??? I don't know. I am way too busy to be sidelined this way so gotta keep moving....

Nasty, when our sons were young & had gotten stung, we soaked it in vinegar, it worked. Someone else has told me to break open a egg, then take the "skin" from the inside of the shell & place it on the area. Haven't had to try that one yet. Take care.

Day 3: The swelling is going down! Yea! I can actually use my hand. Now that the hand isn't as swollen I can see more stings on my palm (didn't even realize it) and on my index and middle finger that I didn't even know were there. The overwhelming pain was in my ring finger and that joint. Oh happy day! Margarita "cure" wins again! (LOL, I'm sure it was the ice and benedryl)

Thanks, everyone, for your well wishes and favorite cure remedies!

(Stephanie, I use fresh squeezed limes and lemons in my Margaritas)

Vicki,

Just heard on the Today show that if you crush a couple of aspirins (or more depending on how many stings, like yours) and make a paste with water and smear that on the stings, that can help reduce the swelling and the pain. Please, please be careful from now on. That looks just miserable. I've only been stung once in my 50plus years and that was enough for me. Take care!

Sheryl

Thanks, Dell! I need both hands tomorrow, so am hoping the healing continues!

Thanks, Sheryl! I've heard that one, too. I have never had so many stings at a time and in such a small area, so the ice cube has always been sufficient to relieve the sting and swelling. Will keep everyone's ideas in case there is a "next" time, but hoping not to have to use them!!

Today all the stings are itchy and burning, so I am hoping that means there is some healing going on!

Originally posted by Beachside Quilter

(Stephanie, I use fresh squeezed limes and lemons in my Margaritas)

Yuppers, agreed! Fresh squeezed is the only way to go for that delicious tasting margarita. So I think I'll pick up some tequila on my way home tonight and get the blender humming.

Archived