wish me luck....

Well, I know I don't post much anymore but I still come on here alot and read up on what everyone is doing. I'm getting nervous and antsy as on Friday I'm having a hysterectomy. I don't know what I will do with myself for 6 weeks!!! I can't sit still for 6 minutes. The boys don't seem to be that bothered but Lucy (my 9 year old), is so stressed out over all of it. I tried to tell her that people have this surgery everyday and she said "You're not people, your my Mom!!":(

Anyway, wish me luck!!

Tracey

I'm kinda new here but thought I would chime in. I had the same surgery almost 4 years ago. My youngest was 17 at the time and he had issues with me going in for surgery. He was worried that something would go wrong. The best thing for him was visiting me in the hospital. My DH stayed at the hospital during surgery but after it was done and I was in recovery he went and picked up the boys. He told them I would be tired and may sleep a lot but Tony was much better after seeing me even if I was a wee bit tired.

Don't worry about the 6 weeks. I was so wiped out the first 4 weeks it wasn't funny. Doctor said it was normal after this type of surgery.

Good luck and you will be in my prayers! This is the one surgery I wish I had done sooner rather than later.

KathyD;)

Tracey - I know it's stressful before hand, but trust me, you will feel soooooo much better! My surgery was about 6 years ago and after the recovery period, you will have more energy and be so much more comfortable. My advise, plan on lots of naps during the first couple of weeks. I would usually lay down for a couple of hours after lunch and then could enjoy my evening with the family. Taking it very easy the first couple of weeks is very important. Then gradually add to what you are doing. I was actually doing a lot of sewing by the third week. Hope all goes well for you.

Tracy, I also had the same surgery 7 years ago and was soooooooo happy afterwards........should have done it sooner! Anyway, I'll keep you in my prayers for a safe surgery and speedy recovery. Like others have said, at first you will tire very easily, but just listen to your body and nap whenever you need to and before you know it, you'll be feeling great. :) This will be a perfect time for Lucy to help you with little things while you recover and for you to spend time together. One project that I accomplished while I was recuperating from my surgery was to get all of my photo albums caught up.................I was only about 6 or 7 years behind! :P And I'm not saying that I want to have any more surgery, but I haven't touched the photo albums since then................:cool::cool:

Tracy I'll keep you in my prayers. I had one about 8 years ago and I have to say it was one of the easiest surgeries I've ever had. I just had to remind myself that even though I was feeling good my innerds needed time to heal! If you are having your ovaries removed to get ready to be hot all the time! It took me 3 days to hit menopause and I am rarely ever cold anymore.

Tracy I had my hysterecomy 2 years ago my twin girls were 9 also at that time. Had my ovaries taken out as well. Everything went well and like Heidi stated you need to take it easy for the full 6 weeks. After I was healed my whole mood, well being improved 10 fold..should have had it done years prior. It is like someone flipped a switch and my life was mine again.

I started my King sized GFG quilt at that time, but any hand pieced project is great to do.

Will keep you in my prayers and make sure you let us know how your feeling when you get home from the hospital.

Thank you all soo much for the encouraging words. I'm looking forward to life without 'my parts'. They were fine and gave me 3 beautiful kids but ever since then they had made life difficult. It's time we part ways!!!!

Will post when I get home from hospital. I am to be in there for 3 days:(

Tracey

Tracey, my thoughts and prayers are with you and especially on Friday. You have already received such wonderful advice, I'll just add that you could pull out all your quilty magazines before your surgery and stack them handy and easily to get at, this way you can enjoy reading and planning future quilts, and at least keep your mind busy, while you let your body rest and heal. Extra prayers for your little girl as well, it's scary for kids to see parents going to surgery. Take care.

Well, girls, I had a total radical removal of innards year before last and 2 weeks later went to a retreat. I didn't pick up anything heavy but I was driving and feeling good. I like not having all those parts to worry about. I won't ever get ovarian cancer and that's a good thing!!! Tracey, just relax and let people wait on you. When you get home, pretend you just can't cook or clean and let others do it.;););)

Archived