How do you center the quilt on the backing?

I need help....I have had my long arm for about a year. I basically do my quilts and quilts for my mom and BFF. Someone contacted me to quilt a quilt for her. It is her first quilt and it is for her grandson who will be coming home from Afghanistan. I have never quilted for others so was reluctant to take this on. I gave her a quote for an E2E design. She agreed and I picked up the quilt tonight.

Here is my dilema! The quilt top is 67" square and the backing is 70" square. The biggest problem is she pieced the backing like a quilt top and put a 2" border around the entire backing.

How do I make sure the back is straight while quilting? I will lose some of the backing top border when I pin it to my leaders. Have any of you done a quilt that had a backing you needed to really worry about. I'm looking for hints, and maybe a few drinks too!

What have I gotten myself into here? Because this is for a soldier returning from war I hate to even charge her....:o:o:o

Thanx for any help you can provide!

KathyD

If my math is correct, the quilt top at 67" square and the backer at 70" square with a 2" border on the back puts the edge of the top only one-half inch outside the backer border seam all around.

THAT WAY LIES MADNESS!! Sorry--was I shouting??:P:P:P:P

I do not know of anyone who would tackle that precise placement on a frame system. One micro-inch off will cause the edge to waver across the seam on the back and it will be U-G-L-Y. One slight mis-piecing that adds to or narrows the width of the top will cause the same effect. And remember, as you quilt the top, it will "suck up" and at the bottom edge, you will in all likelihood not even MEET the bottom backer seam, much less extend past it. Not to scare you, but get a signed waiver from them after you explain the issues and make no promises--even though your heart wants to do the best job possible!

When she told me the size of the backing I told her that it really should be a few inches longer as the quilt rolls up you lose on the length. Her question was should I put another border on it? I kindly explained that a border on the backing is not a good thing because I can't guarantee that the backing will be centered properly.

Linda I was worried about this already and now you have scared the Bajeezus out of me. ;););):o:o:o I was just hoping that the 70" long was enough.

Thanx for the link and article Shannon. That is great info but like I said I'm still pretty new....and I know how to roll and set the next row when using a panto or CL board...how do you go backwards if you do the panto across the middle of the quilt. The article says to stitch the middle of the quilt and then stitch out from there. I could do that if I was doing a freehand meander but I was really thinking of quilting it with the square dance CL board.

See this is what happens when you can't say NO!!!:o:o:o

Originally posted by kathyd

........The biggest problem is she pieced the backing like a quilt top and put a 2" border around the entire backing.

KathyD

Ugh!!! :(

I HATE IT WHEN THEY DO STUFF LIKE THAT!! :o:mad::(:mad::o:mad::(

I don't think they realize what misery they create for us longarm quilters trying to keep it aligned.... When they are so cheesy with the quilt backing...that they do silly things like this... UGH!

If I were you, I would "inform" her that she has some choices:

1) give you a bigger backing without this cheesey 2" border

or

2) there is a risk that because there is barely any wriggle room for you, there is a chance you can't get the 2" border piecing to be straight on the back.

Sheesh... really!! UGH!! :mad:

I HATE IT WHEN THEY DO STUFF LIKE THAT!!

I don't think they realize what misery they create for us longarm quilters trying to keep it aligned.... When they are so cheesy with the quilt backing...that they do silly things like this... UGH!

Shana, me too.....What a mess I got myself into!!

I tried to do that Quote thing but guess I'm still learning!!!

You could add pieces of muslin on the sides and that way it would give you room for your clamps and a way to pull it into place so it would be a bit more manageable. I also hate when that happens, but it always ends up working somehow. Take your time and take lots of breaks. :)

I have zero experience with this but I do have a thought. Since she basically made two quilt tops perhaps you could suggest it becomes two quilts and put an inexpensive backing on each of them. I've seen several sites with patriotic fabric on sale this weekend that may make for a great backing.

She could even donate the one that was to be the original backing to QOV in his honor.

I do think that whatever you decide that the burden should not be on you. Give her the options and tell her what the best and worst case scenarios are and let her decide.

Although the quilt is for her grandson who will be returning from Afghanistan it really isn't patriotic.

Like I told her there is no way I can guarantee the backing will be straight.

Here is a picture of her backing....notice the border on the right hands side.

No matter what I do I can't get the pic to post.

I saved the pic, then go to attachment and browse to it, select it and it is gone!

Since this is her first quilt, explain to her the issues of keeping it straight. Then offer to teach her how to piece a back that works well on the longarm. A little bit of time will save you both headaches in the future. I think teachers of beginner classes should include this in their lessons. They get so wrapped up in technique on the front, that they forget the back requires some too.

Another thought--if by some stroke of luck and happy piecing skills the top can be centered so there is that perfect half-inch of backer border all around--imagine what will happen when she binds it! A quarter-inch taken up by the binding application, wrapped around to be stitched to the back and now she is hand stitching the binding into a seam-which makes all that back border disappear!

I love the "make it two quilts" idea expressed by Susan!

I'd probably add some muslin all the way around just to give me a base and then do the best I can to get it centered up. it will be tough. I would probably start by pinning from the center out to the top and then to the bottom and make sure it lines up and then start the quilting. I would never load that backer that small.

I have BTDT! It's a pain! I tell them I can't center it perfectly, only close. I would probably add a strip of muslin top and bottom and just eyeball the sides. I don't use my side straps a lot anyway and have never had problems keeping the sides straight or getting tucks in the backing. I put a centered tape measure on my leveler bar with double-sided tape. I just put a piece of painter's tape on the tape measure so I can line up the sides.

I usually lay the top on the backing, center and place a pin where the edge of the top should be placed. Then I measure down the sides and bottom, placing safety pins in both the top and back where they should line up as I'm quilting. I usually have no problem hitting my marks and lining up the quilt. They aren't absolutely perfect, but as close as I can get them and it's really not noticable to the eye.

A lot of the time, I piece backings with the leftovers from a quilt when I make them. It's fun and interesting. Sometimes I'll use a big chunk of a focus fabric in the center of a back and border it with the leftovers. I really hate it when I get 2 quilt tops and one is for the "backing." Ususally, the backing quilt is just as pretty (or even prettier) than the "top" and I hate seeing it go to waste! I haven't had a customer complain yet. I think they'll be okay with it as long as they know in advance, and have the choice of making it into 2 quilts if they want it "perfect." I can pretty much guarantee their piecing isn't "perfect!"

MEASURE, MEASURE, MEASURE...

It's easier on small quilts... (I think)... If you don't have much room, I'd add an "extender border" of the same fabric. I did that for the civil war tribute quilt I just did for a customer. It helps if you have the same fabric and can match it...

I also did it on "Wilson's" Quilt. Here's the back, you can see that it had to be measured accurately to make it work... and it did!

post--1346190650807_thumb.jpg

Ok ladies,..I too am new and have not yet taken any"customer" quilts,...my question is.when I have taken tops to quilters, they gave me a paper detailing what I was to do to ensure my quilt would have the "best" outcome.

QUILT PREPARATIONS:

Quilt edges must be straight and lie flat. All seams must be pressed on quilt top and back. Clip and remove all loose threads. Quilts must be clean.

If you supply your own batting it should be the same size as your backing. Backing should be at least 6" longer and wider, but no more than 8" longer and wider than the quilt top.

Is this not a practice you all ask?

Given the circumstances etc etc, I would add muslin top & bottom with a 3 or 3.5 stitch on my domestic machine so your customer can easily remove the muslin. Then I'd do my best to baste the quilt top in line with the start of the outer border. Explain the dilemma to your customer and tell her we can never guarantee the top will match exactly with a pieced backing even when it is 4" bigger all round. She'll be pleased you did your best and you will have your first challenge under your belt.

Go for it and don't 'angst' too much!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Also, and I expect someone has already mentioned it, once you attach a picture don't go back and review it before posting as it causes the picture to be dropped.

Originally posted by Snowflake

Ok ladies,..I too am new and have not yet taken any"customer" quilts,...my question is.when I have taken tops to quilters, they gave me a paper detailing what I was to do to ensure my quilt would have the "best" outcome.

QUILT PREPARATIONS:

Quilt edges must be straight and lie flat. All seams must be pressed on quilt top and back. Clip and remove all loose threads. Quilts must be clean.

If you supply your own batting it should be the same size as your backing. Backing should be at least 6" longer and wider, but no more than 8" longer and wider than the quilt top.

Is this not a practice you all ask?

It should be but customers don't always abide by the rules!

IMOH beings you are not in business yet and you are without business insurance protection it simply is not worth the risk, stress or grief that this job could/may cause if something were to go wrong. This is a do able job

but as you can see it will take lots of extra prep and time on your part that you probably hadn't figured on when you gave her the price, just another reason to simply turn it down at this point.

Terry

Wow, you all have such great information and ideas.

I have been busy today and have not contacted her, guess I'm just trying to find the right way to tell her that this is going to be a huge issue.

Tomorrow is my quilting day so I'll get the quilt I have on the frame done and then see how I do putting her back on the frame.

This is why I don't do quilts for others!!!

Thanx again for all the info. I'll print it out in the morning and read through it again before I give her a call.

KathyD

PS....here is the backing she sent!! Thanx for the hint about previewing!!

post--13461906514111_thumb.jpg

Archived