Name???? HELP !!!! How do I choose one?

I know this has been asked before but..... How do you choose a name for your business? I don't want to just use my name I want it to be creative and fun but nothing seems to sound life changing. I live on a small farm in a very rural area of the MO Ozarks and most people who do quilts just post a sign by the road that says machine quilting.:o I would like for it to show my herritage in some way but not real fond of Hillbillyism's. :( I would love to hear any suggestions that you might have. Thank you. :D

Mine is Just Quilting, I changed it not too long ago as I never liked my old name. I also wanted to expand slowlying into other aspects than only machine quiilting for others but everything would be related to quilting,. I wanted to keep it short and simple.

Picking a name is such a personal thing. You need that 'A HA' moment when you find it.

I was travelling with a friend (13 hour car trip) when we came up with the name for my longarm business. We were throwing around words that represent northern images of where we live and when she said 'Tamarack' I instantly said "Shack"because it rhymed and my quilting studio is in a small guest house on our property. Next thing I know we was singing..."Bring your quilts to the Tamarack Shack, Kathy's no hack, she'll give it a whack and you'll get it right back'!!!! That was my 'A HA' moment, silly but true.

The name of mine came when I was in the Harley shop with DH talking to a friend. I was having a bad hair day so I had a ballcap on. So did our friend. Then he started talking about how he was a chrome top, and I had to ask since I'd never heard that phrase before. He took his hat off only to find his hair color matched mine (I was originally thinking chrome for motorcycle and car parts so I didn't put two and two together). I got that lightbulb moment, looked at DH and told him that was going to be the name of my business when I decided to start it. Hence, Chrome Top Quilts, and the "quilts" can either be a verb or a noun. Mine was silly, too, but it worked. It's fun when people ask me what the name means and all I have to do is point to my hair! :D Then they nod.

Just let your imagination go and don't stress about it.

Guest Linda S

I think when it comes down to it, it's always best to use your name or part of your name for your business. Unfortunately, I decided to make fun of the fact that everyone always misspells my last name, so most people think it really IS StellAr, and not Steller. What about your first or last name with an apostrophe 's', and then Ozark Quilting?

I too have been trying to come up with my ahh haa moment for a name, so thanks for the post. It is helpful to hear everyone's comments. I've used my name in several ideas and some ideas without my name. My sewing space is in what would be the attic of my house so I've thought of Debbie's Sewing Attic; Time in a Bobbin; Beyond Stitches and a few others. Any input on my name ideas? I also want a logo to go with my name. My log in name is 3Bquilting because my name has so many B's. I did not want to stick with just a Quilting name because I also do embroidery work and wanted to have an open ended business name.

Debbie BBB

We are Coolwater Quilters, because that is what my Mom choose. We are Coolwater Farm from an old song on an old Roy Rogers & Dale Evans album. A line from the song is "All day I faced a barren waste without the taste of water, cool water." We live near a river, although right now I am sure that it isn't very cool. We have all bay horses except one grey. I wanted to be Quilting By The Bays, because the pasture is right next to the quilt house. But no one liked that idea. Someone once advised me that if you were going to list on the internet, you should pick a name that starts with the first letter that will appear if you did a search. Like if you searched for "Longarm Quilters", and you named it "AAA Quilting" you would be the first one that someone would see. I understand the reasoning, but I would rather have something either clever or fun. Hope that you can come up with something interesting! Good luck. Sara

I chose Busy Quilting for my name since every time someone rang me and asked what I was doing I would answer I am "Busy....Quilting".

Many years ago when my husband and I had just moved into our first new house and were establishing the gardens, we didn't realise that everytime someone came to visit he asked "didyabringabeeralong", until his sister gave him a Wooden house Name Sign for his birthday with that on. In 26 years it has been on Four more houses.

Lyn

It took me three months to come up with Just Sew Classy. Everytime I thought of a name I did a search on the internet to see if a website already existed, searched domain name websites, searched the US Trademark Office to make sure it wasn't taken and searched the county fictitious business names. Once you come up with a name, consider registering it with the US Patent & Trademark Office so no one else can take it. Also, consider doing the fictitious business name with your county. Another bit of advice would be to not do any off-spelling, such as "Kwilt Shak." Too hard for people to remember. And try not to have too many words in the name. I hope I didn't just take the fun out of this! I got all this advice from an attorney and I trust it to be true:)

Wow thanks to everyone that helped I really enjoyed the stories and the information. Vicki, my heritage is a little bit of everything, the Ozarks was settled primarily by Irish and German and married Native Americans. So here I am and throw in a little English just for fun:P.

The Ozarks are truly a differant group, I had thought about River Rat Quilts just because I grew up being called a River Rat and raised my kids and now my grandbabies on the River as much as possible we even hunt on the river love the quiet mornings waiting on a deer to come in. My mom said we should call it Green Acres Quilting I live on a small farm and when the tracter wouldn't start last Spring I looked out to see my DH pulling it with the skidder and my son on the tracter pulling the plow to break the garden hence "Green Acres". I thought about my name but I just didn't like it, just sounded too simple. Oh and Debbie I love all of the names that you are thinking about. Gable I have no clue how to register the name but can I just Google US Patent & Trademark Office.

I hope that I have covered everything it had been several days since I was able to get on here. Again Thank You, to ALL that chimed in.

My Chiropractor came up with my business name. I was entertaining several ideas and I was talking with her about a year ago and she said "Threads of Faith". That was it. I just knew it. I have run a quilt ministry for 15 years and I am now starting a for profit business (and still running the quilt ministry) but I wanted it to still speak to the journey I've been on to get to this point. You just need to give it time and you'll know when it is right.

Pick something that is easy to spell (says the lady who picked Special Occasion Quilts - no one can spell Occasion - good thing the bank will take checks made out to SOQ!).

Also check what a short name or acronym will be and whether the website name and email name are available. I thought my business name was cool because it was SO (sew) quilts. My sister hated it because she thought people would think so-so quilts. It's like the Chevy Nova - is spanish it means "no go" - not the best name!

Think about the heart of your business and what makes it special to you. That's the best name.

Julia

Originally posted by iolandag

What do you think of THE QUILTING BARN!!!

Iolanda

This is one of the names that I am thinkng about because when I get to bring it home (he lives with my mom:o), I am going to have to build a place for him and we are looking into a "barn" that you fix the spot and they bring in the building and set it up. So I am looking at what I actually want!:D

• 8 years later...

It's hard to add everything to your quilt business name.   I do quilting, longarming, professional embroidery, vinyl heat transfer and a few more.  I gave up on a name with everything, it's impossible.    I would pick the one you want to focus on for your business name and list the other things under the name on your business card, website or FB Group. 

• 1 month later...