Stitch in the ditch...wow

I just finished my first SID (hope that is right)! Someone recommended a nylon monofilament and that is what I used. I am not sure that it was hard but it sure took me a long time! I should have written the directions down on how to post a picture!!!

SID is really hard for me too, I also think we are our own worst critic. Once I step back from the quilt I no longer see the little wowwies' that happen. Though I still worry about them. :)

I find that my quilting friends are really helpful in telling me when something is good enough or needs to be tried again.

If left to my own opinions I think I may never be happy enough with what it looks like.

Remember hand made by a human will lead to artistic variances.

Congrats!;);)

SID is still very hard for me, and to top it off, I can't seem to get the monofil to work. Everytime I try it, I get eyelashes bad on the back side of the quilt, or the thread breaks over and over.

Oh, and I forgot to say that Doodlebug posted some SID a couple of months ago, and of course it looked great. I don't know how to put the url here, but it was titled encouragement on 4/14/11.

OK, so , newbie question....

I have done SID on my sewing machine by holding the quilt with two hands and guiding the ditch into the needle.

How do you do that on the Lenni? I will need three hands......Would love to see a short video of someone doing it.

I can understand doing it 1/4 inch away from the seam but how do you do it right in the seam without having two hands to spread the fabric?????

Originally posted by sharni

OK, so , newbie question....

I have done SID on my sewing machine by holding the quilt with two hands and guiding the ditch into the needle.

How do you do that on the Lenni? I will need three hands......Would love to see a short video of someone doing it.

I can understand doing it 1/4 inch away from the seam but how do you do it right in the seam without having two hands to spread the fabric?????

Hi Sharon!

To successfully do SID, the seam allowances in the quilt need to be pressed to one side, not open. Then you have a "cliff" and a "trench" made by that pressed fabric. You SID in the trench as close to the cliff as you can get without stitching on it. You can SID an opened seam OK, but the cliff/trench thing is more prevalent in piecing and the shadow of the cliff will hide any wobbles nicely.

No need to spread the seam open. If the top has some strategic pins placed to flatten the fabric, SID is done with one hand on the handle and a guide in the other hand.

I use a ruler/template as a guide for verticals, but find the horizontals are usually done without a guide since I got the Bliss.

Originally posted by Primitive1

So I am doing alot of SID and got that monofil thread that really is invisible...several times I was thinking, gosh I must be getting pretty good cause I can't even see the thread and when I checked the back - sure enough - had forgotten to sew that seam....see what pride does to ya?

:P:P:P

I have sewn an entire zinger border length with an empty bobbin! Looked pretty good to me until I realized all that "tongue in the corner of the mouth-ruler in the hand-concentration" was wasted and I had to do it all again!:P

Archived