Country Rock T-Shirt Quilt/Info Added

This is the first, and probably the last, t-shirt quilt I have made (took me 2 years). My niece asked me to make it for her, out of the many concert t-shirts she had. She has a country rock concert t-shirt collection to die for and I like how it turned out, but never again. I have developed a healthy respect for you longarmers that specialize in making t-shirt quilts (Sylvia). Thanks for looking!

P.S. Even though I'm not a heavy rocker, spending time up front and personal with a photo of Brett Michaels was not an unpleasant experience...:P:P:P

post--13461906886291_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by LibbyG

Joan,

What did you use for the backing?? And did you use parts of the t shirts for the top and bottom border? I really like this layout.

I used Kona Black Cotton fabric on the side borders and to fill in between tshirts where needed.

I used a batik for the backing (photo attached). My niece's favorite color is lavendar, so this batik works well, including the fact that it is both lavendar and has secondary gold and teal colors which picked up the tshirt colors well, especially Reba's signature purple. This quilt will be reversible -- as I love how the back looks with the black binding.

And, yes, I cut up some of the tshirt backs for the top and bottom border. My original plan was to have one row of 3" wide cut-up backs around the quilt as a border, but it still wasn't wide enough. I decided to add a 3" wide row of the Kona black cotton, but it didn't look right. So, I switched the borders to be double wide on top and bottom, and put the Kona on the sides.

Arranging the light/dark/colored tshirts was the challenge, but when done it worked well.

She had a white tshirt of Lucille Ball, as well, but Lucille in death, as well as life, wanted to dominate the whole scene, so I left her out. I'm going to recommend that she be framed and put up on the bedroom wall.:D

I used Quilters Dream Cotton Select for the batt. I wanted to use QD Poly, but did not have a batt wide enough in stock. One thing nice about QD cotton, is that even though the batt was 93 x 121, and my quilt was 95 x 111, I was still able to use the batt. They make them wider than stated -- it was actually about 97" wide and perfect. I was surprised at how much the quilting pulled in the batt length, however -- probably took up about 4" as compared to 1-1/2 to 2" that is usually the case.

post--13461906886903_thumb.jpg

Beautiful quilt! Lucky niece to have seen so many concerts. Once I was able to get tickets to see the BOSS! My daughter said it was to dangerous for me to go alone so I had to buy her a ticket also. I didn't think she would enjoy it but she was a rockin along with me. That was heaven and I was so glad to have seen Clarence at the same time.

Diana

Joan, every decision you made on this quilt was the correct one!!! You may not make these all the time but it surely looks as if you do. I guess it is just the artist coming out in you!!! One thing I do when I have a "left over" T, I put it on the back. Here is where I put it: Put the quilt on the bed and turn back the top as if going to get into bed. At the top right I put the T so it can be seen with the top folded back.

Guest Linda S

That came out really nicely. I'm with you, I am not a fan of T-shirt quilts. Many folks like them and that's all well and good, but I had two as my first quilts to do when I entered the business and I hated every minute of them. Your quilt is beautiful and I know she will really enjoy it.

Tshirt quilts are so great! I like knowing that the owner loves these Tshirts so that no matter how you put it together, they just love how it looks. This quilt is a real winner!

Sometimes it can be a bit of a puzzle as to the arrangement of the blocks and deciding what size block to cut out from the tshirt front--I think that's why some people hate making them.

Archived