How well do you like quilt clamps? What size PVC pipe to get?

i have white ones that i believe are just pvc pipe that is cut into 4" segments and slit open so you can slide them over the sandwich and the bars.

i use them alot for areas that i missed or minor repairs....

i also like them for when i am practicing.

saves times.

Hi Kerri,

I also have had DH make clamps for me with PVC pipe. Mine are 4" long and the slit is about 3/4" wide. I had some cut with a wider slit (1 1/2" to 2") but they do not hold as well if you are reloading for missed areas or putting a practice piece on. Also DH round the corners so you do not scratch yourself on the corners. DH used tin snips for this. Lee

Hi, I use them alot for smaller quilts, when you don't have to advance to many times. I find them more time comsuming on larger quilts. I would rather spend the time pinning onto the leaders than more clamps every time time I need to advance. I do use a 4" PVC pipe, they already had the slit in them when I brought them at the hardware store.

I found some PVC pipe that I already had but I was not thinking about how thin it has to be. This pipe looks a little thick. Does it have to be pretty thin to be able to fit over the quilt and bars? I guess so it's more flexible? Hope someone has the info on this. Kerri

I'm with Terri and cut a cardboard core from batting into about 6 lengths and with a serrated knife cut out about 1/2" and it fits perfectly. I did put masking tape on the cut edges so that it would hold up. Best part is that it costs $0.00 and that is a very good price.:P:P:P

I also went to a central vac store. The pipe they game me was clear and the thin wall PVC. They didn't charge me so I made 8 small pieces that are about 3" long. I just used sandpaper to sand the rough edges. They're great!!! I used my table saw to cut out a portion of the tube before I cut it into smaller pieces. I know it's 2 or 2 1/2 inches.

I use our very own Dave-Jane's clamps. They are super great. I float all my quilts and use the clamps to hold the quilt firm. I also use two to ensure my quilt is rolling square (put them on the bar at the end of the quilt). Dave and Jane's clamps come in 2 sizes and are very reasonable in price. These clamps are sturdy and fit perfect. All sides of the clamps are smooth, which isn't always true when cutting your own PVC.

http://www.countryquiltsncrafts.com

Thanks for everyones advice. I have some cardboard that I will try and if that doesn't work then maybe try the PVC as well. But I'm glad to have the websites to order some if I need too. It sound like it's a great tool for quickly fixing problem quilting. Thanks again. Kerri

Hi Terry,

I use the cut Cardboard Tubing as well! I cut mine into 5 in. segments with a 1.5 slits. I also use these segments on my middle leader roller as guides for keeping my quilt rolling evenly. The ones I have been using are over a year old and show no signs of wearing out. Free is good!

:)

I use the Cardboard tubes as well. I just cut mine in half, so a nice long section that really grips the quilt top evenly. I'll use 2 or 3 sections, depending on how big the quilt is. I'm thinking next time I cut a tube that I will wrap the whole thing in duct tape first, then cut it. That will give a little more stability and keep the tube from coming apart at the seams.

A friend has the older style table with smaller roller bars. She actually used a tube from wrapping paper.

Archived