I need MAJOR help!!! IT ENDED GREAT!!!!!!

Hi Tracey,

I'm so sorry you have this problem. I agree with most of the posts above; you have gotten lots of good advise already. I have a customer who is "cheap" to say the least. She always pieces her batting together - different types; different size pieces, etc. Recently I did a quilt for her (this was the 4th one I did for her). The backing was a tone on tone black fabric and the pieced together batting was white and natural. The batting was also fuzzy, you know the cheap to start with batting that has been cut off the end of a project and now pieced with other bats to build the approximate size needed? I think all the handling makes some of them even more fuzzy. Well, I looked at the cheap quality black backing fabric and the really crappy batt and told her I was very afraid of bearding. She never heard of such a thing! I explained it to her. Then she said it would not happen as she used these batts on other quilts and they did not beard. I said they very well might have bearded, but if the backing was very light, or lots of prints, it may not have been noticible. Well, she finally initialled my note on the intake form where I wrote that I was afraid we would get bearding with this combination of black, loose weave backing aned the pieced white and natural cotton battings.

As I started to quilt it, yes, bearding! I frogged that partial row and turned the batting over to see if I got better results with the other side facing down. Nope. More bearding. I called her and said there was bearding. SHe said to continue quilting, as putting it in the dryer would pull any bits back inside. OK. I did hte whole quilt and when I was to meet her to return thef quilt, she sent a friend (with my check) to pick it up. The gal (also a quilter) liked the quilting. I showed her the back and she was mortified about the bearding. I explained that I went over this several times with the gal and she understood what was happening.

Well, it didn't matter that I told the gal what I suspected would happen; had her sign my note about expecting the bearding; the phone call to say it was happening, even after I removed the batting and flipped it over...she was very angry at me and said she will not give me any more quilts to do for her.

So...she might not have a legal issue, but she is still not happy. I'm not sure how to go about avoiding these situations. Perhaps, #1) refuse pieced batting; 2) refuse a white/natural batting with a solid or tone on tone dark backing (although the top had large sections of very light colors); if bearding is occuring in the beginning, remove the quilt from the frame and return it to the customer with the bit to frog herself (this way she can see the bearding for herself)...What you you folks do?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by sandradarlington

........even after I removed the batting and flipped it over...she was very angry at me and said she will not give me any more quilts to do for her.

Sandy, honey where do you find your friends? (just kidding! ;)

Ok seriously, (for all of us) I think this all boils down to "EDUCATING" our customers and quilters of the possible risks and results that may occur. It's all about informing, warning, educating, talking, being up front and honest about the possibilities. Most people freak out because they don't know any better.

So, just tell your customers before you quilt, that here are the possibilities of issues, and here are the solutions to those issues.

I had a quilt that started to beard when I quilted it. I was still in my sample quilt block though. Then I checked the back and saw the bearding.

I took out the basting I had and turned the batting around then proceeded to quilt the sample block. It made a huge difference which way I put the batting down on the quilt. After I turned it around, the quilt was fine and I didn't have the bearding problem. But now that you already quilted the whole thing, I would NOT take it apart. Maybe you could get her to sew another top and maybe you could quilt it for a discount or free. It'll take too much time to take apart and start over, I think to sew another one would be easier. I feel your pain:(

Oh I want to say don't give that work away. Give a deep discount but not free. She is going to use it as a gift anyway cause you did a beautiful job. She is a bully!!!!! I know how you fell about the abuse you have received and just want it over but she is going to tell people how she got that beautiful quilting for nothing by giving you a hard time about an unavoidable problem.

Give her a deal but not free.

Shana...remember, I live in Philadelphia, the "City of Brotherly Love." NOT!

These people are "Customers," not friends, necessarily. My one "friend" who used to make me extremely angry, has now given me 18 of her tops to quilt. For almost a year I refused to do her quilts, but finally broke down when she had a baby shower "emergency." She also knows that I expect her money up-front, and everything we discuss is in writing! She also sends other people to me for their quilting, but she tells them I am a PITA with my paperwork and I won't touch their quilt without their signature on each line. LOL But, she is singing my praises. Several of these referred customers have commented to me that I am really very professional (I guess do to the intake form).

The other customer who I ruined her quilt a few weeks ago because the backing was not perfectly centered, sent me an e-mail a few days ago saying everyone at the shower loved the quilt and she has another one with a pieced backing she wants me to do. And, that she does not expect a discount and that she hasn't and won't cash the refund check I had immediately mailed to her. I told her I was booked until mid January. She said she will wait. Humm...I don't want to do her quilt. I really thought that when I said mid-January that she would take it somewhere else. I should have been more direct, but I didn't want to stir up any trouble by flately refusing to do business with her again.

I think I will go over my intake form (again) and try to be sure it covers everything that might come up with her quilt.

I think it's time for a terminology correction for newbies reading all this.

What you see in the photos is "pokies" not "bearding".

Bearding is when the fibers come through the backer in tiny strands--like a beard. It can happen with natural and also synthetic batting. Worse with un-scrimmed batting coupled with a stiff/cheap/loose woven backer. This was a big problem even for hand quilters before scrimmed batting was available.

Pokies are small dots of batting either showing through the stitches (caused by thin batting and the issues with balancing tension with such thin batts) or they are flat, more-noticeable pillows of batting surrounding the bobbin thread. These pokies can actually be worked back into the backer with a large needle.

Just thought I would clarify the terms so no one gets confused.....;)

I told her I was booked until mid January. She said she will wait. Humm...I don't want to do her quilt. I really thought that when I said mid-January that she would take it somewhere else. I should have been more direct, but I didn't want to stir up any trouble by flately refusing to do business with her again.

I think I will go over my intake form (again) and try to be sure it covers everything that might come up with her quilt.

I feel for you, Sandra, in wanting to be finished with this customer and not wanting to cause more hard feelings. But please remember, SHE started all the trouble, was out of control, caused you to doubt yourself and to agonize over what to do to remedy the issue.

If you didn't promise her a spot in January, politely give her the "bad fit" talk, while taking the "blame" yourself--Tell her that your dealings with her we very traumatic for you, being the professional that you are, and that you would be toooooo nervous and on-edge to ever do her quilts justice.

Lottsa BS, I know, but it saves face for her and gives you an out. Besides, she may be throwing you another quilt to ease HER GUILT for being such a bitch to you over nothing. If that is the case, she won't argue too much over your rejection and can move on to another victim...er...quilter.;)

The other customer who said I ruined her quilt a few weeks ago ..... I told her I was booked until mid January.... Humm...I don't want to do her quilt.....I should have been more direct, but I didn't want to stir up any trouble by flately refusing to do business with her again......

Ahhh Sandy cross that bridge (in January) when you get to it. And see how you feel then. remember, you are the boss of your own company so you get to choose who your customers are. :)

I feel for you. I wouldn't have picked it out either, if you would have nicked the fabric, she probably would have exploded. As for the bearding, it was not your fault, I get this occasionally but never the that extent. I'm guessing the batting was cut with no labels on it so you really don't know what kind of bat you got for sure.

I have done the same thing and just ended up doing a quilt for nothing, I gave the lady the quilt at no charge. I know I will not have any issues with the lady I had in the future, because I won't quilt anything for her ever again. That is a decision you will have to make with this lady. Is anything going to make her happy or is she going to find something each time.

I would have told her to wash it, try the dryer technique. I have news for her. If she is giving it to a younger couple for a wedding gift, it will see a washer and dryer. That is how the younger generation does things.

Do what makes you feel better and chalk it up to a lesson learned. I would keep a scrap of that batting, so i can make sure I don't get it again.

Your quilting was beautiful.

Shirley

My heart goes out to you Tracey because I've just had a similar problem.

I am not a fan of cotton batting at all, much prefer wool or wool blends. But the backing I was using was a good quality Moda -and I think the combination of cotton batting and the tightly woven Moda caused pokies in places. I did my very best - loose tension on the rollers etc helped a bit - but it wasn't as good as I'd like. I also found that this backing behaved like Bali fabric in that the fabric 'splits' as the needle goes in and out ( and often the poky then appears ). I think we could do with a sharper tipped needle to cope with these situations ( in the same way we have different needles for use in our domestic machines). I actually had to change my needle twice to quilt this quilt!

The best combination of all I think is a wool or wool poly blend ( I use Matilda's own, being in Australia!) and a medium weight backing. I never have a problem with pokies when using this combination. The finer backing fabrics seem to make things worse. I am also thinking of making customers more aware of potential problems before starting to quilt.

I hope things resolve well for you - the quilting is lovely.

Tracey, I just came across your post. The quilting is gorgeous. I think you should tell her of these various options and let her choose. Make sure you include the cost of each option and DON"T give her the quilt without taking payment. If you offer to work with her and she turns it down that's her choice. Don't even let her take it for the wedding to return it to you afterwards to fix and pay later. It won't come back & you won't get paid! Even tho' you just want to be rid of this, she still has to pay for your excellent (not amateur) quilting!

Good luck.

If you've quilted for customers very long, you will have run across this problem. It IS a combination of the backing fabric and batting. I've had the most problems with darker Moda fabrics, and if at all possible, I use Hobb's 80/20 black batting with those quilts.

If I get Warm & Natural batting brought to me, I ALWAYS warn of the great possibility of pokies on the back. And if the backing is pieced, you'll notice more or less pokies, as the quilting crosses over onto the different fabrics.

This is very obviously NOT your fault. The quilting is gorgeous! The quilt top was a "quickie" log cabin, made with large strips. Your quilting has made it look a lot better than it deserves to look! IMNSHO. :cool:

NO DISCOUNTS, NO FREEBIES, NO FROGGING! You did your job with what she gave you and you did it very well. ;)

Tracey, your quilting is just stunning! I too would just give it back and show her that the only issues were the areas where she had certain fabrics as the rest looks great....that is due to her unfortunate fabric choice, not anything to do with your quiting, you can only work with what you are given....and you did a stunning job with the quilting! Did I also mention that I would no longer quilt for her after the grief she has given you - life is just too short not to enjoy your job!

Originally posted by Darlene Epp

......I've had the most problems with darker Moda fabrics,

That was the fabric my customer had: Moda Black

I use Hobb's 80/20 black batting with those quilts.

EXCELLENT ADVICE !!!!!!

I will definitely remember and recommend this next time. The whole time I was quilting I saw these pokies and was telling myself "Ugh! I wish she used Black Batting!!" That would have solved everything!

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

......I've had the most problems with darker Moda fabrics,

That was the fabric my customer had: Moda Black

I use Hobb's 80/20 black batting with those quilts.

EXCELLENT ADVICE !!!!!!

I will definitely remember and recommend this next time. The whole time I was quilting I saw these pokies and was telling myself "Ugh! I wish she used Black Batting!!" That would have solved everything!

I have a roll of black hobbs 80/20, I haven't used it yet, but I have it just in case. :-)

What a horrific situation, my heart just hurts for you, Tracy.

I don't remember seeing in this thread exactly what batting was used. I know I have had bunching problems with Warm & Natural if it comes in a package and it is also pretty linty. I've even tried putting it in the dryer and still can't get wrinkles out. I really do prefer to use my own Hobbs 80/20 roll.

You have lots of good advice here, so I know you will come up with the right answer. Please keep us posted on the ultimate outcome.

I have been reading this post, though not for a couple of days, and have not put any input in because I sometimes have trouble with pokies too and never know what causes them. I have found the information here very helpful. I had kinda come to the conclusion it was batting/backing issues, but it is good to hear others say that too....

Tracy, Darlene is right- you did nothing wrong, no discounts, freebies or frogging. Remember you are the professional and you know your "stuff"....keep your chin up!

Originally posted by Tracey

I don't know what to do.....I custom quilted a 9 x 110 barn raising log cabin quilt for a customer who needed it asap for a wedding. backing is pieced and she supplied the batting (100%) cotton. get the whole thing done in time, however have had bearding issues. Well, she came to pick it up yesterday and oohhhhed and ahhhhed over how beautiful it was. Then when we flipped it over...she freaked out. "How can I possibly give this as a gift? This looks like some amature did it. What are you going to do??? I can't give this as a gift!!! you get the picture. I was horrified and just turned into this blithering loser and I didn't have a clue what to do. Then I made the mistake of telling her that it was her batting. Holy crap...."IN ALL MY YEARS OF QUILTING THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ME!!!!" She clearly feels that I have ruined her quilt. She wants me to rip it out (Yes, that's what she said) and fix it. With the amount of quilting in this quilt I will be ripping for 6 months!! Then she left. So I proceeded to burst into tears and have a major meltdown. I have never had anyone react like that. I bought a fuzz shaver thing last night but it didn't do anything. What do I do???? I will send pics. I am beside my self. Everything I've read suggests that it is a combination of bad batting and the backng fabric. I know it wasn't my needle because she actually had two needles for her quilt.

HELP!!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you for all your advice!!!! I sent the customer an email explaining that I would like her to come and pick up her quilt (free of charge) I explained that I had consulted many experts in the quilting industry and the batting thing and suggested she try the dryer trick. Well she called that night and we spoke for 20 min. She appreciates the work I did, I do beautiful work, she doesn't want any bad feelings. etc.. etc.. She said she has too much integrity to not pay. There is no option...she will pay for the quilt. I had spent about 3 hours with a toothpick the night before pushing the batt back in. When she came to pick it up she cried and hugged me. She knew it would now be all better. She took it home did the dryer trick and has herself pushed in the few left over pokies. She is thrilled!!!! She said she will never bring me her own batting again. She will always purchase for me from now on. What a freakin' nightmare week!!! Thanks so much for all your help. You girls (and guys) are the best. Don't know how I would have dealt with it without all of you.

Tracey

Tracey,

What a horrible week you must have had. I'm so glad that it ended on a good note and I'm sure that your are certainly relieved. The quilt was beautiful and the recipient will most certainly cherish it. I certainly learned a great deal from all the expert advice given here! Thank you for sharing it so that we could all benefit.

Evelyn

Archived