Which compressor do you use?

I have a generic brand el-cheapo that my DH bought at Kragen Auto Parts. Ours is 50 gallon, 1 1/2 horse. I know that is big but he put a T-fitting on it and uses it for garage stuff. He rigged up a hose from the garage through our air conditioning duct, which just happens to open up where my machine is. (Yes, he is an engineer LOL)

It works really well, I've had it since 2005 and I love it.

I just bought a pancake style one from Harbor Freight. It was on sale and there was a 20% off coupon in the newspaper. I think it started out at $70+ and I paid $45. I haven't tried it yet. I was previous using a battery powered one that I bought on Amazon. I got tired of the batteries being flat when I needed to use it and they didn't last long once they were recharged.

Sue

Debi,

While 50 gallons is over-kill, you do want 3-4 gallons minimum. You don't want a low pressure, high volume compressor or low pressure, low volume. The first is for pumping up mattresses, etc and the second is for air brushing (painting).

We have a medium grade pneumatic compressor for air tools and it works wonderfully. We also turn off the motor until we need it to put more air in the tank to keep the noise to when we expect it. ;-)

Good luck on your quest for a compressor.

Thanks for all the advice. My husband and I have been looking at all the local stores (Ace, Home Depo, Harbor Freight, Lowes, Wal-Mart, on Line, etc) and doing some comparing and looking at all the reviews. I believe my husband has narrowed it down to one or two with your help :-)

If your husband already has one int he garage, get an air tank from the auto supply store and fill it up in the garage, don't have to listen to the compressor that way and buy a package with fittings and a coiled hose with a sprayer attachment.

That is what I have done. It works great. Had a wheel mount one in my sewing room, but hated when I needed to use it especially if it was after everyone else went to bed as it woke up the whole house.

It is a 10 gallon tank I believe that is used to air up tires.

Shirley

Archived