marking tools again!

Oh for pete's sake! I posted this question in the wrong forum. So here it goes again.

I would like to start a discussion of which marking tools you all like to use. I use white chalk and white pounce power whenever possible. Blue and purple markers if it is ok with my customers. Are there new items available to us that you all know of? I have been reading the forum for several weeks and continue to be amazed at the wealth of knowledge shared in this forum. Thank you all for your generosity.

Chris

I have been using the washable kids markers for stencils on fabrics where pounce and chalk don't show up well. Friday I used a bright pink one on a light pink baby quilt. The marker is the same brand and from the same package that I have used before. This time I've had a hard time getting the marks off, there are still some on it, but less intense. I would still use them, most likely, but will be more cautious on the bright ones.

I use a chalk wheel sometimes too, when it is just a quick marking needed.

Chris, you can go back to your other post and delete the whole post since you are the only one that has posted on it so far. Use the edit button at the top right of your posts. There is a "! delete this message! box you can click on. Then click on the edit post button at the bottom.

I use pounce and chalk (chalk wheels, or chalk pencils, etc, but only in white). On the lights...I am too afraid of using the purple pens on customer's quilts, as I don't know how they will wash them, or how the recipient of their gift will wash them. I do use them on my own quilts.

Part of the reason I bought the Circle Lord and QZ was to have many options for quilting designs without the need/risk of marking. But, I know there are still many situations where marking is necessary.

I am looking forward to reading how others are currently marking their quilts. Brands???

Those of you using the purple air erase markers..........do you find they are easier to remove than the blue water soluable markers? I recently finished a quilt using the blue markers to just mark a dot to use as an alignment point to crosshatch. Some of those dots were very hard to remove and really had to soak the spot with water. I used a Q tip dipped in water so I didn't have to wet a large area with a spray bottle.

Thank you Madilyn. I was able to delete the post in the other forum. Now my face is much less red!:D

Linda, I keep a washcloth and a bottle of distilled water (we are on a well and our water has lot of rust) on hand when I do use the blue markers. I wipe them off as soon as I can and then double check after the spot has dried. Sometimes I have found that I have to repeat that process several times to completely remove the blue. I use these markers on my own quilts because I know that I will completely flush out any extra ink that may have sunk into the batting. And yes, I mark as lightly as possible, but sometimes that blue has a mind of its own.

chris

Clover eraser pen takes out both the water soluble and air erase pens. Tide to Go also removes the marks well, but test on your fabric to make sure its OK. I have never had it damage any fabric, but I haven't tried it on silks, either. ( Tide to Go also takes out fresh blood extremely well. ) Irena Bluhm uses Tide to Go on some of her projects.

I have a Zig white water erasable that takes some work to remove, but it really marks well....just have to really saturate the fabric with water and kind of rub it a bit but its great on dark fabrics. Its the only marker I have found that stays on and doesn't make a dusty mess or leave a faint shadow.

I like the Frixion pens on light fabric only.

I always tell customers exactly what I have used on their quilt and suggest completely immersing the quilt in cold water to remove residue.

Guest Linda S

I use the purple Marvy Pens a lot. Here in Oregon, I have a bigger problem with getting the marks to stay long enough instead of a problem getting them out. Often, I will mark a small stencil and it will be almost gone by the time I've whipped around the lines. For dark fabrics, I like the Clover white pen that steams out or I put Miracle Chalk in a Chacoliner or dab it onto a stencil with a foam brush. I threw my pounces out. They make a big mess, in my opinon. I've not had any problem with the blue pens, except when I think I can remove them totally by dabbing water or the mark remover on them in small amounts. I find you really have to soak the quilt in a large amount of walter (like a bathtub full) to get it all out (all the way down into the batting). Otherwise, it can come back. Also, I've been using the Frixion Pens on my own stuff. You can't really get the marks out totally (there's a bit of a "ghost" left) and they will come back if you put your quilts in the freezer, but then, I don't put my quilts in the freezer. I wouldn't use them on customer quilts without asking.

Oh the woes of marking a quilt. After the powerwash incident I am back to sewing over paper. I know if I soak long enough the fibers break apart. Also I use the lightest density on ink and let it set for several days. If it is my quilt and not white on white I use friction highlighters.

Marking a quilt is now the most stressful part of longarming for me

Melora

Archived