UGGHHH -- broken needle jammed in hook assembly!!

The tip of the needle is wedged under the hook assembly collar and I can not get it out. I have tried all of Dave Jones' suggestions and nothing works!

see gold tip at about 9:00 in the picture.....lovely! Just lovely!

Now I have to order a hook assembly.....bummer!!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

Note to self: only order needles from APQS......

post--13461908262364_thumb.jpg

Kelly

You could try removing the hook from the machine. Undo the three small screws on the half circle piece (I think that is the part that I see 2 screws in your picture) that holds the basket in and you should be able to wiggle the basket enough to get the piece out. Reassemble retime and you should be good to go. You might be able to do it in the machine but I would be afraid of dropping the screws on the floor and never finding them again. Hopefully this works and you can save the $90 for the hook and the waiting.

Nigel

Kelly,

If you have already tried removing the fly wheel Cover and trying to firmly rotate the fly wheel COUNTER clockwise (against its natural rotation) to dislodge the needle tip, then you may want to remove the hook and dissect it. While there is no guarantee that the bobbin basket is not damaged, it may be worth a try. We don't have any official documentation on how to tear apart the hook itself as it often is not salvageable and replacement is best. However, sometimes you can rescue it!

Kay in Scotland had the same trouble several months ago. Here is a link to her posts regarding how she carefully dismantled the hook and then put it back together.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=27194

In the meantime, I will also email you the timing instructions which will walk you through removing the hook and putting it back on if you are able to rescue it. Be sure to buff out any scratches on the hook (except don't touch the hook tip itself.). If you need more help email me or give us a call on Monday. We I'll get you through it!

Kelly, I feel your pain, hope you now have it sorted, My bet is it's those Titanium needles, our machines should really be retimed to use them, but you can do that now if you are brave enough to use Titanium needles again???

On a brighter note, I bought a new hook assembly but have never used it, I am still using the same old one that came with my machine and have had no trouble what so ever.

Hang in there, you will feel a real sense of achievement once you get your machine up and running again!

Worry you had to go through this to learn not to use those needles.

I'm always afraid I'd do that.

I hope you are able to get the needle out, smooth any scratches or burrs.

So far everyone gave great advise.

Don't get frustrated..

RitaR

Originally posted by barbm

Originally posted by DawnCavanaugh

If you have already tried removing the fly wheel

???????

Barb -- she meant remove the fly wheel cover (in the right side of the machine) and try and froce the flywheel to turn and pop out the needle. I have a bruise on the palm of my hand from trying that many times to get this sucker out. No luck!

Thanks to the help of Dave Jones and Dawn I was able to at least remove the needle tip -- but my patient is not fairing quite as well post operatively as Kay's did.

I loosened the screw on the bobbin basket tongue, and slid the tongue out so I could rotate the assembly freely.

This allowed me to get the screws I needed to loosen to the 6:00 position instead of the 12:00.

I loosened (did not remove) two screws near the needle tip and was able to slide the offending piece out.

I tightened the screws, rotated the assembly, repositioned the tongue and tightened that screw.

When I manually rotate the handle wheel, there is a slight hesitation when the collar rotates over the chase on the bobbin basket.

I oiled it liberally, and turned on the machine in manual mode......and there is a definite "thumping" noise each time the collar slides over the bobbin basket chase....and the longer the machine runs the louder it gets.

So the patient is resting comfortable on complete bed rest until the new hook assembly arrives ---then back to the OR she goes.

The problem is this patient has a BRAND NEW SURGEON....but I guess even a surgeon has to have his first case (but at least they see one before they do one....oh well --- field medicine I guess!!!)

Well Done Kelly.....this is very nerve wracking to a new quilter, I only had my longarm for 5 months when this happened to me with the use of my first titanium needle, I also had the attacks of for and against Titanium needles back then too, even off list. We just have to make up our own minds somehow on which needles to use!

I also believe that all of our machines have there own personalities, some like Titanium needles some don't!

I may use Titanium needles sometime in the future as many seem to use them without problems but I also believe, I had a lucky escape with no major problems to my machine. I know I am not the only one but the cost of a longarm is a huge investment to me and living in the UK makes the investment even bigger with shipping, customs charges and VAT we have to pay. We have to pay extra for everything we buy, even the needles so I intend to insure my investment for a little longer by using chrome needles for the foreseable future!

Hope everything goes smoothly for you Kelly

Thanks Kay -- even without the "excess fees" I feel the same way!

I look to this forum for information and guidance and am not one for stirring up controversy and make an effort to never “bash” anything (I usually just hold my tongue in those cases).....I was just hoping someone may learn from my rather expensive misfortune.....(I don't think I bashed titanium needles, merely said I was supplied them without requesting them from a secondary supplier even though I had been advised to always buy them from APQS to ensure I got first quality needles --and I was not "informed" enough to know I had to retime my machine when I unexpectedly received “gold needles”. --- hence an expensive error on my part).

We all have to find what works for us and the open, non-judgmental presentation of information on this forum has been very helpful to me.

Post them on the forum for sale. there are folks who use them successfully and may be willing to purchase them.

I do not know if my issue is the fact that the needle is tituanum or that the needles were "seconds" ---- I intend to only purchase needles from APQS from now on (as I had been advised to do when I bought my machine but forgot).

I by no means would recommend or not recommend a certain needle type --- each person needs to make their own choice.

My second error was in accepting something from a supplier I had never intended to buy.

That's how we learn I quess - hook asssembly is only $90 (thought it was going to be more expensive then that)....and per Dave Jones "this is the worse thing that could happen to your machine, so once you learn how to replace the assembly and retime it you will be set".

Got to love making lemonaid out of lemons.

I tried A titanium needle in Millie once, but didn't care for it. I thought it made a lot of popping sounds like it was dull. Fortunately, I only bought 1 small package. I still have them in case of a dire emergency, but don't think I will be running out of the APQS needles any time soon. I use #4 most of the time as that is what the book says the machines are timed for. Sometimes I go down a size if using Monolon or up a size for a thicker thread, but the #4 seems to work for just about everything.

Archived