Minkee backer

This is the back of a baby quilt. It is a minkee-type fabric and soooo soft. It quilted nicely, didn't stretch as much as the lighter type, and had zero lint or fuzzies. She opted for a thin cotton batting, in spite of my suggestion not to add it. It was more of a throw size--I think 60"X75" and heavier than I would want for an infant. But it will make a great drag-around blankie.

post--13461908274112_thumb.jpg

Today was my day to test the minkee theory...to bat ot not to bat...that was the question. First of all, with perfect timing Joann has their Soft and Cuddly minkee type fabrics on sale in plain or the textures. At 50% off with an additional 20% off entire purchase, including sale items, I bought a bunch! It is not as stretchy as minkee and really soft. Pinned it on, floated the top and did an IQ edge to edge. No batting. I love it. The softness and drape is exactly what I want for an infant. Since it is going to Florida, it does not need the extra weight. If I was going to do this for an older child I would probably add a bat just to increase durability of being drug around and shared with the dog...lol. I am going to do the same with a flannel panel one for the toddler. This topic we so timely for me. I love this group!

Very cute, Linda.

I have a question. I just used a minkee batt and was not able to 'erase' the needle holes in a small area where I made a mistake. Have any of the rest of you had that trouble? I suppose it varies with the type of minkee -- I don't remember this happening before.

Hi Joan. Were the holes visible within the nap of the fabric? The only problem I have had is when the fuzzy side is up. Then the hopping foot smashes down the nap and leaves a ghost trail. Usually brushing with a cloth takes care of that. Maybe a spritz with water will close the holes. There are so many different types and weights of this type of fabric. I liked this one a lot--very hefty and a pretty color.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Hi Joan. Were the holes visible within the nap of the fabric? The only problem I have had is when the fuzzy side is up. Then the hopping foot smashes down the nap and leaves a ghost trail. Usually brushing with a cloth takes care of that. Maybe a spritz with water will close the holes. There are so many different types and weights of this type of fabric. I liked this one a lot--very hefty and a pretty color.

The removed line of stitching (about 6 inches) had the nap smashed down about 1/4? wide. I tried rubbing it with my fingernail, etc., but it stayed. I think it will be less visible after it is washed. It was a particularly soft minkee -- kind of like suede-feeling. Perhaps that was it. Oh well, no big deal -- just checking with others. I've done minkee several times before, but didn't have this problem.

Archived