Longarm quilting retreat

I am going to be hosting a Longarm Quilting Retreat in July here in Eastern Washington. I've never been to one, so it's a clean slate re: what we're going to do at the Retreat. I need input/ideas from those who have been to a long arm retreat - or a wish list from those who would want to go to one!

Just a question for some of the jumping off into ideas area. Will there be only one longarm machine there, or will there be additional ones for retreaters to use?

Would anyone want to be able to practice throughout the retreat some of the new techniques shown? Would there be any opportunity to have the retreaters work on their own quilts? or would this only be learning/training time?

I haven't been to a LA retreat and only a couple sewing quilting retreats, but at those I chose to work on my projects instead of a "class project" through the weekend and had my own machine. I expect things would be greatly different for a LA retreat just because of the size of the machine and table. Could there be two machines to each table for more people to play/practice at one time?

Have fun planning this and I hope it goes so well that it is offered to others different times.

Madelyn, there will be five APQS heads on three tables. I've been in hands-on classes at MQS - they routinely put two heads on a table, with two users (or more) to each head. I expect our retreat classes will run that way, too.

I envision hands-on classes, dealing with techniques, tools, threads, machine maintenance, and who knows what else? I also expect that we would be running a traditional piecing retreat, in an adjacent space, since there wouldn't be room for everyone on the long arms at the same time. I would hope that there will be some time for quilting small quilts or practicing techniques.

I have some ideas, but I need other heads dreaming about this - I want this to be spectacular!

Barb, I went to DeLoa's camp in Ohio and New York. She had herself and one or two other teachers so the classes would meet the needs of different level quilters. She had the facility where there were other rooms so there were a few machine heads and tables in each room. The classes were hands on with tables to practice the design on paper before moving to the machines. You will need fabric and batting to use for practice and have that set up first or if you want to teach beginners how to load a quilt that could be included in one class. Design classes are great especially if the technique/designs are new.

Your retreat sounds great. Will the rooms and meals be included?

Wonderful! Can you give us dates and location? Registration information? We have to be in western WA (Seattle area) for a week in July; if I could work a retreat in with the trip it would be a dream come true. Waiting anxiously for details.

We live in Alberta, so there are several routes to Seattle -- we're flexible!

Barbara

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Wow, Barb! Great idea and it looks like you have everything under control. Details please!

Everything under control, my left foot!!:o Shar and I have been talking about something like this for a couple of years, but never got down to the nitty-gritty, 'cause with only one head on a 7-foot frame, it's just not do-able. I only got the word two days ago that I would have access to additional equipment, sent out an email and already have 20 quilters ready to sign up and 10 more on a "maybe" list - and now I'm semi-committed to a retreat in less than three months!! Maybe I should just be committed....

:P:P:P

Obviously you need to contact the local venues and get a "volume discount" cuz you need to offer two retreats a month for the rest of your life!!!

I know one nice hotel locally that will give a free or deeply-discounted meeting room if you can fill enough rooms with students. Email me for the location when you are ready to have a retreat in Olympia. Was that hint broad enough?:cool:

(I'm proud to know you!)

The response just shows what a need there is for training and a desire of long arm quilters to be better quilters. I am so jealous that the Pacific Northwest has Linda R, the Moxies, and Barb (and I am sure there are some others that I don't know by name) and I moved half way across the U.S. six years ago and cannot participate in their activities.

Archived