Revealing the Price of Quilts

MtnBarb

How do you gently, kindly explain to people that beg for quilts how much one actually costs to make and quilt? I have several relatives that are always asking for one as soon as they find out I make quilts. I don't want to be "mean" and tell them to fork over a couple of hundred dollars. I was thinking of posting something on Facebook (where most of them correspond with me) about the price of quilts now a days. What do you think?

Barb,

I understand how you feel.

I would just give them the list of expenses in fabrics, thread, backing, batting and the hours you will spend on washing, pressing & for piecing the quilt top, the Longarming rate you charge and also the binding charges.

It is serious and legitimate expenses to be able to produce these quilts.

Corey

I try to use my hours involved in making a quilt. When you tell someone you have a 50 or 60 hours in a quilt and the ask what they make a hour.

That usually stuns them, then I quote the current price per yard for fabric and how many yards it takes to make one. I say if you like this one that is already done it would be (whatever you want to price it). If they seriously want you to do it they will pay. If they want it for free they can continue to want, no hard feelings.

I get people hinting (broadly) that they would just LOVE to have me make them a quilt for them, their friend, their child, their spouse, etc. I've gotten to where I say, 'That would be so fun to do! Why don't you stop over some time and we'll sit down and we can look at some books and you can decide what you like. Then I'll be able to show you what you need to purchase for your supplies. And if you need a sewing machine to put it together I would love to have company - you can sew it here. Once you've finished the top we'll sit down together and go over what type of quilting you would like and how much that would cost to have done.'

By the time I get through that last sentence they realize this isn't going to be free - they start thinking about all that time and cost of fabric that THEY will put into it and realize surely my part will not be free either. I have made a couple of new sewing buddies from a simple (and simply misunderstood, sometimes) comment that they would love a quilt.

BTW, one coworker who kept hinting to me about making a quilt for her, and me proposing the same as I stated above, never got back to me about it. She had kept saying she had some of her son's clothing that she would really like to make into a memory quilt. We looked at patterns and designs during our breaks, etc, but she never took me up on the offer to teach her. I found out, after the fact and from someone else, that she probably couldn't yet tolerate the idea of cutting his clothing apart - he had passed away from an accidental drowning a couple years ago. I felt so bad, I wished I had done it for her just to help her get through the grieving. But we never know when we get these comments from people as often as we do.

My family used to do that but I straight up told them (while smiling) that if they'd come clean my house, cut my grass, scrub by pool, plant some roses, cook several meals, and whatever else I could think of, I'd make them a quilt. I told them it took me 2 weeks to make a simple quilt so they could work for me for that same amount of time. They stopped asking.

you could always have an info sheet made up that you "have on hand" for your customers who would like you to make a quilt. Give them that and just say "this is what I charge to make a quilt from start to finish." Then let them decide what they want to do.

I'm not sure that I would put that on facebook for the full world to see. Others might read it and decide that you are doing so well with the quilting job and start figuring your income (wrongly) and decide to hit you up for other $$ needs too. I have a dairy farmer brother that didn't like to have people ask him how many cows he was milking at times. He thought they were figuring the price of a gallon of milk and how many gallons a cow could produce and figure his income.

I don't have any friends or family ask as I have already given quilts to them as gifts over the years (I have a small family!). But I do love to hear that others who know nothing about quilting love our quilts so much that they want one of their own. Isn't that wonderful!! :):):):):)

Originally posted by Bonnie H

I don't have any friends or family ask as I have already given quilts to them as gifts over the years (I have a small family!). But I do love to hear that others who know nothing about quilting love our quilts so much that they want one of their own. Isn't that wonderful!! :):):):):)

Well said!!!!;);););)

I've made quilts for gifts for most of my family. My sisters best friend is going through some "medical stuff", my sister asked me to make a lap quilt for her friend for when she has to sit and have her transfussions. Guess it's really cold in the room. I asked for her to cover the cost of the materials. I would do the rest. My sister is wonderful and a great wood worker, she is making me a cabinet that I can store my thread and long arming tools in in return for the quilt. I'm still waiting for it but as our quilts take time so do her wood work projects. I know it will be beautiful.

Guest Linda S

As many of you know, I've never been one to mince words. I tell them right up front: "I'd be happy to make you a quilt. You must realize that standard quilt fabric sells for about $10-12/yard at this time. A standard queen sized quilt is going to need 4-5 yards of fabric for the top, a little more than that (probably 6-8 yards) for the backing, so, we're talking about $156 just for fabric. Then you've got your batting and thread. Figure another $40 for good batting and $10 for thread. Then you need to add the hours that it will take me to make the quilt top itself. Then you need to add in that I normally charge about $400 to quilt a standard queen size quilt. So, we're probably looking at a minimum of $1000 for a queen size quilt. Now -- with you're budget, I'm thinking you have a coffee cup cozy in mind, no?

I simply made up a price list, different sizes of quilts, that includes everything except fabric, which they would pay for, and give them the list.

If they are interested, some still are, they will proceed. If not, no harm done.

I made the prices list by totalling what I would charge to quilt it, bind it, and make a SIMPLE top. Complicated would cost more. I also added cost of batting and thread.

I do not include fabric, because I learned not to. One lady, after seeing my price list wanted me to make her a quilt and we went shopping for fabric -- my cost, my mistake. She chose high priced fabric for both front and back. I didn't make anything on that quilt. So I quit including fabric. If I use from my stash, I charge $7 a yard. Because I buy a lot on sale and I like to use my stash so I can buy more.

This is a very interesting topic to me. I personally do not quilt as a business; I tell everyone that quilting is a very expensive hobby. I have a Blissed, IQ'd Millie. Maybe its a cop-out, but I tell everyone that I quilt for love. I've pieced and quilted about 20 quilts to-date ranging from baby size to king size. I have a list of about 25 more that I'd like to make for my family and close friends (I am the oldest of seven children). There is always a baby on the way or a wedding taking place. If I make mistakes on these quilts, I don't feel so bad. Maybe after I've completed 50 quilts, I'll feel "good enough" to quilt for a price. Oftentimes I browse some on-line quilting boards and I get inspirations for future quilts. I was on ETSY the other day and was surprised to find quilts in the thousands of dollars for sale. I admire all of you that quilt as a profession. Sometimes, I'm afraid that if I start quilting for "money" I'll lose the passion I have for quilting.

Thanks for reading,

Never feel bad for sharing information. It's expensive to build a quilt even without the labor factored in. Someone at work asked the price of a quilt and was shocked because she had seen China-made quilts for $99.99 at the department stores. I told her if she wanted a decor item, those were fine since they will wear out in a season and she can buy another. But if she wants an heirloom to hand down in the family, that was a different story. Then I directed her to Etsy and she found something she really liked. She is now educated about handcrafted quilts.

I never thought to direct these people to Etsy. What a good idea!

I have suggested people look in Lancaster for ideas and then come back to me to discuss other design options, etc. One gal said to me that she would not pay the Lancaster prices to me because I use a machine to quilt mine and they do it all by hand. :o

My suggestion would be to get some of your quilts appraised. The appraiser will give you the value to have your quilt replaced (fabric, quilting and labor). Then you can show people what the true value is. Brenda has had a few customers supply the appraisal with the quilt when giving quilts to relatives. You tell them it is for their insurance but you are really telling them it's not a dog bed.

Thank you all for your replies. They definitely give me someplace to start. Bonnie, your remark is "well said". Sylvia, I like your idea too. Of course, they'd have to travel 1500 miles, pay for gas/motel & food, or buy a plane ticket. Hummm, sounds better all the time!:P lol

• 8 months later...

As an amature quilter, even I have been approached for quilts. People don't realize how much work goes into just piecing one together and the cost involved. My most recent request gave me a 9 day turn around. I tried like anything but it just wasn't going to happen. I will usually agree to make quilts if they will cover the cost of material and batting. I never thought about figuring in thread expense, until the quilt shop suggested it. Oooops. Now I find out there's an APP from Superier to figure how much thread will be used.

Two years ago my cousins asked me about a quilt for a very good friend of theirs. I had a small scrappy queen and said I'd only charge $200. He never said anything until he read an article in our local paper on quilts. Then he called and said he'd take it, so they knew they had a big bargain. Then I've had people ask me to donate to a charity of their choice, and I tell them I need months to make something and I like to choose my own charities. But I always donate something to theirs. People are just clueless about the cost.

I've had people ask if I can "whip up something" for their fundraiser next weekend! When I tell them I can't possibly get anything made by then and would need a couple of months, they are stunned. At our last Quilt Show at the Assisted Living Center, we were holding up quilts to tell about them. One staff member asked "about how much does a quilt like that cost?" One of our gals proceeded to list the cost of fabric, thread, batting, quilting and the time involved and threw out a dollar amount. There was a collective GASP across the room.

This is a great topic. I have really enjoyed everyone's responses. It gives me some ideas. I have people, mostly at work, who see one of my quilts and say "I want one of those". When I get to the price and the time frame, I never hear from them again. I am getting pretty particular about who I will make a quilt for. I don't have that much time to quilt with working outside the home. I want to make sure that that time is well spent, for someone who appreciates it. Or, I am perfectly happy to hang them on my quilt ladder and enjoy them myself.

Peggy

Archived