I found a "new" machine!

Went to an Estate sales yesterday. Scored a "Sweet" Singer treadle machine for less than $100! Was is great shape and had extra types of feet and other accessories. It was in a tool shed and buried under some other stuff so I don't think anybody else saw it before I did. SCORE!!! (evil laugh) Can only find one place with a little rust and the cabinet is in great shape. I have to re-seat the belt but that's what my mechanic husband is for. Posted Image Also found the serial number so I called the Singer Company and they told me not only the Model (66) but what DAY it was born...5/19/25.

Now I can still make my quilt tops when the power goes out! Hmmm, can you see me sitting next to the machine with a oil lamp going! :D

I'm giddy because I'm one of those who hardly ever wins a prize or things like that. Of course I have to give the DH credit for getting me to the sale. He was looking for guns and stuff.

post--13461908484199_thumb.jpg

Good for you! You are going to love sewing on a treadle. I do nearly all my piecing on a Davis VF that was made in the late 1800's, around 1890 or so. It sews like a dream and makes the nicest stitch. Treadling is so soothing. Doesn't look near as nice as yours, but she is an old lady after all. Her wrinkles and spots are all evidence to the life she has seen and been part to. I only use baby oil to keep her looking good. wipe on and wipe off so she shines. Doesn't hurt the decals that are left and prevents rust. Some people do use a non abrasive car wax, but that scares me. Don't won't to remove the decals and scar her anymore.

How nice - that one looks to be in great shape. My daugher's landlady was throwing one out to the trash so she brought it home to me, the machine was so rusted that I couldn't do anything with it and then the table fell apart...but I kept the drawers thinking I could use them to store something in - they looked cool....and I kept the iron table bottom as I have asked my DH to make a wood top for it that I can paint and will just make it a decorative table...the table bottom must weigh 30 lbs or more...

Thanks for all the comments. Yesterday I spent time with it up in my extra room. I had to pet it and talk to it. :P I'm impatient for my husband to get the belt on so I can play too.

Sad to say but there are frequent estate sales in our area. It is an older settled town with residents that are quite elderly. I started going to the sales just to be able to look inside the large 1800s homes but got hooked with the things for sale. I found out that the woman who owned the machine was 93 when she passed away and had lived in the home for over 60 years. I would have bought a lot more but the DH was with me! :P

Archived