English Paper Pieced Quilt Resurrected

A new customer brought me this hand-pieced English Paper pieced quilt she made 25+ years ago. She had sewn a sheet to the back of it and was using it like a duvet for 25 years, and decided she wanted to have it made into a "proper" quilt. I laid it out on my table and couldn't believe my eyes; she had pieced the blocks after watching someone make a similar one on her daily subway commute. The part she missed was trimming the square after piecing! Oh, and for 25 years she has been washing and drying in the machine and all the extra fabric was knotted and frayed around each block. Oh, and could it be made bigger so it will fit on her bed??

I suggested that it would be cheaper for her to just have an entire new quilt made as the labor to trim the excess from each square, and have new borders added would be costly. She begged and pleaded, couldn't I please just fix hers??

Well, it takes a village; I got a very dear friend to agree to do the trimming (as chance has it she is making the very same quilt by hand now), got it back from her and added borders. Thank goodness for the Swirlz boards as they made this pig's ear look good.

Made her matching pillow shams, too. She picked it up Monday and was delighted!

post--13461908649669_thumb.jpg

Well you two wonder women, Vickie and Debbie did a beautiful awesome job!!!!!!! I'm so glad this project worked out so well!!! I think we need to go found another one now! What ya think! Well we have to have something to talk about! LOLO

It is awesome! I'm applauding you!!!

Wow! You did a beautiful job on that! I wonder if that stitching stayed as decent as it did (holding together) because she didn't trim it? I mean, I would have thought with washing and everything it would have frayed apart if it had been trimmed to 1/4"? Anyway, I can only imagine how happy she was, knowing what it looked like when she handed it to you!

Thanks, everyone! Yes, Libby, like Dell I have many of these fabrics in my "stash" from when I first began quilting. Many of the fabrics were well worn and faded and we found a lovely Clara Barton reproduction fabric for the borders that had a mottled look. It was a challenge to work with, but she had pieced it well. Pretty amazing for someone who doesn't know how to sew or quilt! She saw some ladies making blocks on the subway and decided it looked like an interesting thing to do! I asked everyone in our guild who does hand-work if they would do the trimming and they all turned me down flat! I wasn't up to tackling it and neither was she, so I was delighted when my friend, Debbie stepped in to say that she would do it.

Glad to have it done, and now she has a "proper" quilt that she can say she made herself!:P:P

Archived