Look what's next--ideas?

This is so exciting...like a playground, right? Oh my oh my oh my---what did I get myself into? I need some great little doodle ideas for this one. Or help me think outside the box. It is another hand pieced/applique and it's a bit wonky. She gave me license to do whatever it takes to "do it right". I think I'm going to need help on this one. It measures about 92x87 so the flowers are on average six inches including a leaf. Notice the vines don't all go to the edge, and only one corner has a blossom. What 'cha say? huh?:o

post--13461908915834_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

Oh that looks like such fun! I can see nice background fill, creative quilting on the flowers, perhaps a nice motif in all those triangles. Wow, you're going to have a good time with that one!

Is that quilt friendly or does it just look like it is because it is hanging? I would SID all the applique. I wouldn't do much stitching on the actual applique and that will make it pop. For the little triangles in the middle I would do echo lines for the lighter ones and do a dense fill to push the darker triangles to the back. I would McTavish or some other dense fille in the middle background area. I think cross hatching the dark pink big triangles would look great and do a dense fill in the light pink. In the outside I would McFeather or some other featherish design around the applique. I would do a half sided feather in each of the blue thin borders treat the triangle border the same as you did the inside triangle borders. It will be beautiful.

I'm glad to hear the ideas, and you all are giving me creative inspirations. Vicki, that center circle is a hair less than 24 inches diameter. I also thought of pebbles, at least somewhere on this quilt. I like the idea of pebbles, or at least a rocky/stone look, reminiscent of a garden path. And Heidi, I thought of cross hatching the dark pink corners too. What do you think of crosshatching (or a woven pattern) OVER the applique in that area? ...giving the illusion of a garden lattice? and yes, it's a very friendly quilt:D...not just because it's hanging. I took it down as soon as I took pictures because I didn't want to make it worse!:P Do you think if I keep it folded it will flatten out the fullness?:o?:P:P

Echoed circle or feathered wreath in small white center area, with radiating lines that segment the area behind the flowering vine ut to next circle. Alternate between two fills, one light and one heavy density.

SID all of the circles, triangles and borders and appliqué.

Ribbon meander dark pink background.

Piano key outer border.

Line dance triangles in outer circle and outer border.

Background fill large light pink triangles in circle.

Originally posted by LindaLou

Hey, what's a line dance triangle quilting design?

Hi Linda,

Line Dancing is a type of continuous curve by Diana Phillips. Quick, easy and fun but gives great results.

http://www.cozy-creations.com/cozycreations.htm

Boni, definitely some dense fills and a poofy batting to take up some of the fullness! I like adding some crosshatching, too. Have fun with it!

Think I would do a circle in the center and curved cross-hatch it. Then just SID the appliqued flowers. In the little trianbgle I'd do an "arrowhead" in the light and echo the outside triangle lines (not go across the bottom tho) and then do some freehand feather fill or McTav or paisley/teardrop/peacock fill in the background. Anxious to see pix. Or do pebbles in the dark tri's.

Lots of work!!!

• 2 months later...

someone on here was doing a top where the quilter pooped out on the applique and didn't put on all the leaves etc. She quilted leaves and flowers where they would have been and it was a good look. If you really like things even, by quilting in the missing design first, it might make the background fill look more uniform. Just an idea.

Originally posted by Acesgame

someone on here was doing a top where the quilter pooped out on the applique and didn't put on all the leaves etc. She quilted leaves and flowers where they would have been and it was a good look. If you really like things even, by quilting in the missing design first, it might make the background fill look more uniform. Just an idea.

I was going to suggest something similar. Also, in Deloa's book, Quilt me a Garden, she has some neat floral wreaths that are round and with tendrils and longer leaves/petals could look nice in the center...round without being perfectly round.

Boni, You have your hands full with this one. The others gave great advise so I won't chime in. I can't wait for you to finish and post pictures. I am looking forward to seeing it quilted. I am sure it will be a beautiful outcome. You always do such wonderful work. Work your magic girl and good luck. Thanks for sharing.

boni, would it help to spray-dampen the whole quilt inside the borders and see if that will help it be more quiltable? Maybe do a couple feet square spot to see if it will work.

This technique has helped me with wavy places, though I've not had one that bad lately.

Looks like you are doing good with it. Maybe machine baste some of it, dampened, and patted into shape,

then decide if it will help.

still loved the dinner and visit with you folks.

Thanks everyone. I am in a cold sweat right now. It's not so much the fullness...seems like the more I quilt the tamer it gets. BUT I'm running into the paralysis by analysis syndrome. Do you like the heart shadow I did in the triangle where it alternates with the applique heart?

Also I want to do pebbling behind the applique in the very center...I'm confident of that, but now I can't decide thread color? I think I want to match the fabric, but I'm toying with a variegated that has all the colors in her applique flowers...purple, teal, pink,green, etc. I did a pebble with a variegated blue/yellow and each little pebble was colored in groups as the thread changed. I liked that effect but I just can't make up my mind here.

Thanks Rita...nuts are falling again...funny it happens every year at this time. :P

Acesgame and Charlotte...I'm not sure what you are suggesting. Do you mean something like a shadow of what is already there? Quilting an applique like my little heart?

post--13492895209208_thumb.jpg

Archived