A sneaky feeling

I'm getting a sneaky feeling I may never have any business again.

I've noticed a lot of talk on-line from people not wanting to pay a longarmer for our services. And lots of information offered, free, on how to quilt large quilts on a DSM.

I guess I'm just discouraged. Have any of you noticed this reluctance from piecers to use a longarm quilter?

Kay - not seeing that so much in NE Ohio yet. I don't quilt for others, just going on what I am seeing in my guild. Lots of tops getting pieced by folks that prefer to piece over quilt. They will probably never switch from using professionals to quilt for them. They prefer to piece the tops and then move on to the next project since the quilting phase is not their cup of tea. Plus, we are all at the stage of life when we chose , if possible, to do the things we like or have a talent for, rather than use what time we have left gritting our teeth to do the parts we don't enjoy so much. Keep a good thought and your name out there and I'm sure those folks will find their way back to you. Sally

I have customers who have done this--trying to quilt their own large tops. The results have been either dismal or "mixed". One says she has a new respect for her longarmer(s) and the other is shopping for her own longarm!

It's a fact that muscling a BAQ under the needle of a DSM is a daunting task. It requires lots of room, lots of tables added to the set-up to support the quilt, lots of tweaking of the DSM, special notions like sliders and special gloves, and lots of training, time, and muscle power. You either get it done or you give up.

I can't see this becoming a trend. I think the ones hyping this up are the ones selling books and DVDs on DSM quilting!

Guest Linda S

I don't know - get your name out there. No matter how many tips someone could give me on how to do a big quilt through my DSM, my neck and shoulders would never stand the pain. Blessings on those who can stand it!

I agree that it is more the people wanting to sell something than an actual trend. I would never ever be able to do my own on a dsm!!!! My neck and shoulders would be so bound up I would never be able to use them again! Chin up, they will come back (if in fact they have gone!).

I live in northeast Ohio and wasn't sure to do quilting as a business. There wasn't a whole lot coming my way but I go to alot of yard sales mostly looking for old furniture to refinish and believe it or not I have had so many customers from just talking to the ladies and they have tried the quilting on DSM and now I have 8 new customers just from that. They said it wasn't worth it doing their own. Oddly enough when I go to Columbus to see my daughter I went to alot of fabric stores and got alot of new customers in Columbus too just from talking with the ladies around town. I do them here and take them back when I go down. Hope it picks up for you.

The main reason I bought my milli was because I was having much difficulty on the dsm with larger quilts, especially getting pleats in my backs ,yuk,also there are so many things I can do with a longarm that would be extreme to even think about trying on a dsm ,all my children are grown so the demand for larger quilts came into play for me .Having a quilt done on a longarm is a huge smile on ones face that normally does ones own on thier dsm so I have to totally disagree ,the only fear would be the prices of longarm machines coming down if they get in higher demand .

In my area many of the quilt shops have their own longarms for rent and offer classes. Some of my customers are doing their own quilts now on the rental machines. These machines are also computerized, so they do not need to learn many freehand skills. Instead they are developing computer skills and the skills needed to do a panto on those machines. Many of the pantos I see at show & tell are rather detailed designs that would be very difficult for me to follow with my laser light.

I moved here (Cibolo, TX) from Kansas over 2 years ago. I've done all the things I did in KS to start my business there. I was very suscessful there. It hasn't worked here.

Maybe there are to many Longarmers here for the market to bear another one. I don't have a computer guided machine. All my work (and I admitt I love the custom stuff) is hand guided. It is heart breaking to me that I'm not reestablishing my business, I loved it so. And now my husband is pressuring me to sell my longarm and return the money I gave for it to our retirement account. I don't want to do that!! I just got it payed off!

As I said, just fustrated! I know tops are made here, my guild has 225 members!! I was born and raised in Texas, but I'm not feeling the "friendlyness" I remember form my younger days. I'm not an "outsider", just didn't expect it to be a problem.

Kay,

I'm sorry you are having a hard time getting established there. I know for me it took me 2 - 3 years to really get a good base. Now my name is out there and people call if they really want custom work because most longarmers don't want to do custom. Do you do show-n-tell at your guild? That was how I got my work out there. Every meeting I brought samples of what I did. Another thing to consider is teaching a class for the guild or joining the board. Also is it possible that any of your old clients would mail you tops to quilt for them? I sure hope yo udon't sell your machine because you have so much talent!

Kay, I have to agree with Linda R on her reply...with that said, .. keep your chin up and do what you love to do! Enter as many quilt shows as you can with your work and attach business cards to your work (if you can), mail flyer's to neighboring guilds and quilt shops. Stop in at local quilt shops and businesses, offer to hang some of your work there or offer to quilt one of their own quilts so quilters can see you work. Offer a discount to your 'old' customers in KS to help off set any shipping they may have in mailing to you. Think of ways to offer discounts for new customers, just a one time offer. Ask the guild person in charge of the monthly newsletter to put in something about your business with discounts to guild members for a one time only deal. There are many things that you can do to help promote your new business.

Don't despair.... sometimes it takes a bit longer in a new place to get established....lots of people think they have to keep with the people they are use to but if they have a incentive to try someone else..you just might get all of their business ;)

Guest Linda S

Kay - I do think it is harder these days. I have periods that are boom and bust. I started to make my own little line of things for craft shows. I was going to have things to vend at the quilt show last weekend, except I had a breakdown of my IQ and of myself for a while there (weird medical issue, won't go into it here), BUT . . . last Christmas I just made some simple potholders and table runners - they got snapped up so fast I didn't have more to replace them. Then I go to a show and everyone wants to buy my quilts. So - check out some vending opportunities around and see what might be available. Start small, inexpensive craft shows, etc. People love that stuff.

Thank you all for your kind encouragment. Time will tell, my Mom says. If it is ment to be it will be. I had a good run in Kansas. Paid for my machine and made a lot of friends, (all of whom I miss very much). This forum is a place I come to for help and support and you'll never let me down.

I'm going to go quilt some now. Love you all!

Kay,

What I am noticing is a new trend to what is termed "The Modern Quilt" look. These type of quilts lend themselves very well to straight lines of quilting. Directional at times, but still straight lines or rows of quilting

This type of quilting can be accomplished with a Walking Foot on most sewing machines, and much easier on the newer 9"-10" arm sewing machines that are available.

There are many books, websites, blogs and publications on this new tread in quilting. I like the colors and fabrics evolving from the 'modern quilt' look---I just finished a baby quilt with some of these modern fabrics.

I did quilt it on my long arm---but, it could have just as easily been quilted on the sewing machine---

I'm not sure how much of the market share or profits this type of quilting is going take from long arm quilters business as there will always be a need for beautful custom quilting and edge to edge type quilting.

But, yes, I think this trend will have some effect on business.

Walking foot straight line quilting is not "new", but it's becoming quite popular. Many quilters are returning to using their walking foot for machine quilting their own quilts. It also has a lot do with the economy.

Just my sneaky feeling.;)

My business goes in waves. I have regular ladies, and a few new ones come through by word of mouth. I go around to the local quilt shops once in a while to make sure they still have my cards and I'm quick to phone them and thank them for referrals. Other than that, I enjoy what I do when I have it, and when I don't, I work on my own stuff. Don't lose heart...just be persistent.

i wouldn't worry - after one bedsized project, they will come back.

it is no fun, and VERY hard on the body, to quilt a large quilt on a DSM.

ask me how i know.

the younger set of quilters will be able to manage it for a time, but sooner or later they will see that shoving 2 tons of quilt thru a 5 pound space is sucking the joy out of their hobby.

Kay, hang in there. You are an awesome quilter and when people in your area see what you are capable of they will come to you. You have been given such great advice on ways to get your name out there.

There are several shops around here that we have to compete with because they have long arm machines and rental service, but in spite of this, God sends me the business I need when I need it, but I worry a lot too when the customers are absent for awhile so I understand.

Archived