It Figures.....

So after my busy week last week quilting, I took some time to clean, organize, vacumn, etc. and went down this morning to start my next quilt and what do I find?

Yep, a flooded basement! And I'm not even in the path of Isaac!

Fortunately, I keep my machine up on wooden blocks to protect the carpet (now it protected the machine), my customer quilts are up on a shelf and most of my fabrics are up in baskets or if on the floor they are in plastic tubs! My Ikea bookshelf that holds all of my quilt books was wicking up water but the books were still dry...had to empty them out of the shelf and took it outside to try to dry it in the sun...and have spent the rest of the day vacuming up water with my hoover steam cleaner - after a gallon, I am taking a break and putting all fans on the carpet... I did keep my photo stuff and painting stuff under the stairs and did loose some photos.. and paint books.

Turns out it was the humidifier water pipe leaking..and the good news was that we got someone out here within 1/2 hour to fix it....

So much for quilting today....:o

The moral of the story is......don't bother to clean your quilt room!

Vicki,

I'm so glad it wasn't worse. Definitely a PITA though! I think Cindy gives great advice! I thought you were going to say it was still raining there. We came through on Sat. and it was miserable! At one point 95 south bound lane had gushing water on it. We were amazed that the road was still open. We got through before the center median overflowed onto the North bound lane. It was a long drive through VA.

Heidi,

I originally thought it was rain and a crack in the basement floor under the carpet...glad it was not that serious!

95 is ALWAYS a pain to drive on, sorry you got caught in the rain, it seems like the times to avoid it are early am going north toward DC and anytime after 2pm going south, and never on Friday or Sundays....ugh! We need another hwy here! It sounds like we are in for some of this storm by Sunday or Monday...glad you got home safely!

Originally posted by Primitive1

Heidi,

I originally thought it was rain and a crack in the basement floor under the carpet...glad it was not that serious!

95 is ALWAYS a pain to drive on, sorry you got caught in the rain, it seems like the times to avoid it are early am going north toward DC and anytime after 2pm going south, and never on Friday or Sundays....ugh! We need another hwy here! It sounds like we are in for some of this storm by Sunday or Monday...glad you got home safely!

Yes definitely need a new highway! We were actually hitting it at a pretty good time. We hit the NC border at 10 so that should have put us past DC by 1 or so. Nope we didn't even hit Quantico by 2! It took us about 7 1/2 hours from NC to Quantico and that normally takes us 5 - 5 1/2 hours. We hit traffic right at the VA border and it actually got way better when we hit Fredricksburg! LOL what are the chances of that? 495 was a cake walk and we drove out of the storm by the time we hit 270. We took 81 up the rest of the way and that is a way easier drive.

Oh Vicki, so sorry. What a mess. I hope your studio dries out fast and you can get back to quilting!

You got me thinking, my studio is in the basement too. I had better clean up my studio and get things off the floor. Seems I always have piles of books and magazines on the floor. My batting is stored under my Mille. I also have some baskets with fat quarters, patterns and odds-and-ends stored in them. I guess I never thought about how much damage would be done if my studio flooded. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Vicki, Sorry to hear about your flood. Now I'm glad my machine is upstairs instead of in a basement. I don't have to worry about flooding, but I did unplug all the electric before I left on Sunday to ride out Tropical Storm Isaac at my daughters. I was afraid if the power went out we might have a big surge when power was restored. Thank heaven the power stayed on the whole weekend.

Today I rented a big blower and we pulled up the carpet and pad and are hopeing it will be dry by tomarrow. We are also going to see if Lowe's sells something that will inhibit any mold/mildew growth before we put it back down after it dries....now off to put the painting and creative memory supplies upstairs in a closet...

Thankful that all of my quilting books stayed dry!

We have had a flooded basement several times - but now are pretty sure we have all the problems resolved after $$$$ and quite a mess of shoring up all the walls. I have, however, learned - the hard way - that EVERYTHING stored in a basement needs to be 1) up on blocks, 2) in plastic storage or 3) something you don't care a thing about. The last distaster (the shower drain backing up) all I had to do was move all the plastic storage. Still a PITA, but at least managable. We have now gone to all cermanic tile on the floor with just a few throw rugs. Should have done that a long time ago. It's MUCH cleaner and easier to keep, plus lots less hassle. Sad part is, we haven't had enough rain in the last 6 mos to make a puddle anywhere. But I hear Isaac is on his way. I wonder if he will really make it to NW Missouri?

My sewing room is just starting to get back under control from the flooding LAST year!

(in my defense, I did pick up full-time work this spring and summer, and haven't gotten much cleaning done.)

The trouble is, the long arm was inaccessible and has been for months. boo.

Most of the stuff was up off the floor, and what wasn't, we were able to move to a dry area while we continued pumping water night and day to stay ahead of the flood. The problem...none of it got put back! lol! So, there was no damage/loss, other than the holes we had to knock into the foundation to put the submersible pumps into.

Here's how we "fixed" it:

We got three sets of the adjustable chrome rack things from Costco and set the shelves to accommodate big tubs.

Here's the tricky part: The shelving units come with six shelves, so two sets will give you twelve shelves. When setting up, space the two units one shelf apart, using four shelves on the first unit, four shelves in the middle 'space' and four shelves in the next unit. Two-four foot units will actually give you TWELVE feet of shelving.

Set the first two units up with a shelf on the bottom, space them apart, then slide the 'spanning' shelf between them. Continue alternating shelves that way til they are all configured how you'd like them.

We did use the casters in this case, because we wanted the height off the floor, but they aren't really 'roll-able.'

It takes two people to do this, because when you start , it's a little hard to hold the units while the extra shelves are placed.

Since we did this with three sets, we actually got 16 feet of shelving from three units. Since there was just one set of shelves for the last unit and the 'space', I used one at the bottom, one nearer the top, and I use that bigger space to stand tall rolls of upholstery fabric and hanging things from the top shelf. The stuff is up off the floor, I have plenty of room for tubs of fabric.

s

Vicki, to find a floor with a coat of water can be devistating, I'm SO glad it wasn't a lot worse.

It sounds like you came up with such a good idea on adding the extra shelving and using it to give a great solution.

Chin up, salve on those sore hands and BenGay on the back and legs..

Remember, you can go quilt now.

Archived