Need quilting ideas for stippling embroidery

One of my customers brought me a cute quilt she put together with old-fashioned embroidered blocks she found at a yard sale. They are adorable and whoever embroidered them did a really nice job.

She wants me to do a small background stipple on each of these blocks with no stitching on the embroidery. I am wondering how close to the embroidery should I go? Should I outline anything? The white portion of the blocks measures 7-1/4 inches square.

post--13492895205906_thumb.jpg

Curious is good, Oma! Glad you are :)

She asked for a stipple but she may not know about the tight little swirls or McTavishing. When I loaded the quilt last night I felt like stippling wasn't really the way to go. I would rather do some other background fill. I should call and ask her. I think she will be easy to please with whatever I suggest.

Any ideas what you might do to it?

I'm thinking of doing ribbon candy in the sashings and a partial feather in the border (not sure what it is called but you do three little feathers in a long chain of sorta half circles, switching sides of the feather spine as you go.

Love your ideas for the sashings and border!

As for a filler--how about tiny clouds? You can find a size that works--I'll see if I can find a photo of what I mean.

You, as the professional quilter you are, will need to educate your customer (who seems like she will listen to you) that the embroidery will distort if you do a background fill only around the pictures. The inside that's left unstitched will sag and bag, especially after laundering. Is she amenable to a demo? Stitch around one picture with your fill design. Then, using white thin thread like So Fine, stitch right next to the embroidery stitches around the main elements. Like the bottom row/center duckling--stitch around the duck, his hat, and sweater. And swirlies in the water. Stitch around the lamb to the right--outline only. Show her the difference just a few invisible lines of stitching make. Unroll the top so it hangs down and she will be able to see that the lamb needs more stitches. And that the stitches on the duck only show depth and not thread. It's amazing--everyone who does embroidery doesn't want stitching on it and every embroidery looks better with the stitching done!;)

Here's a photo of the cloud filler. The design on the left is for a sashing from 2008!

post--13492895207449_thumb.jpg

Crosshatching looks really good on these blocks. I've gone right over the embroidery before with great results. OR you can outline the embroidery and then crosshatch behind it. You will probably need to do some outline sitching within the embroidery so it doesn't sag.

Remember that the more dense your background quilting is, the more the embroidery will sag if it isn't stitched down.

Thank you ladies for all the suggestions. I learn so much here!! will be calling her this week to talk about her quilt and will post pictures when I'm done.

Darlene, I may be tending towards the crosshatch idea as that was what I saw in my mind, too! And that would eliminate SID (thankfully! LOL). Linda, I very much appreciate the drawings, thank you!! The cloud idea stipple is very cute. And Kathy, I love the double stipple picture you posted. Thank you for sharing it with me to help give me some ideas!!

Wonder if it would be possible to use a very long stitch just to show her what you mean, and then if it's not

approved by her, frog it and set the stitch length to what you think would work. In any case, by using a long stitch, it would be easy to frog, and yet show her what you can do that would make it pretty.

Originally posted by RitaR

Wonder if it would be possible to use a very long stitch just to show her what you mean, and then if it's not

approved by her, frog it and set the stitch length to what you think would work. In any case, by using a long stitch, it would be easy to frog, and yet show her what you can do that would make it pretty.

Rita, I wish I could show her some options in person but she lives over an hour from me. When she comes down from the hills to town is when she brings me her quilts. I had thought about sending her some links online to direct her to some pictures of what her quilt may look like using a thin thread through embroidery. Thank you for the good idea though!

Originally posted by susanramey

I used crosshatching on my embroidery blocks that my MIL embroidered at the age of 12 in 1940. I used bottomline thread and the thread can't really be seen.

OMG, Sue!!!! This is bang on what I was thinking ... and I have the diamond board and cross hatch board from CL to do it with. Do you mind if I show her your quilt picture? Yours is ADORABLE!!!!!!!

Sheri, those are so cute!!!!!! OMG!!! I love what you did with the little "enhancements!" Thank you for the pictures! I just have way too many options now, ladies. (but that's a good thing! LOL)

You all don't know how much I appreciate this list and what it means to me to have a comfort place to come to to seek advice. {{{{{{{{{{{ big hugs to you all for helping me and giving so freely }}}}}}}}}}

Originally posted by SheriB

Aww, what awsome replies Bonnie!

FYI, I used so fine matching the background fabric on the top AND in the bobbin!

Sheri, what a coincidence, I was thinking of So Fine! Funny thing is, I only have one cone of So Fine and it just so happens it matches the background fabric. Thank you for sharing with me your thread choice!!

I gave my customer a call yesterday and she was so excited for me to play with her quilt top and has given me free reign. Now to find some time to get it done. Today is "Strip Club Tuesday" and I'm off to sew with a bunch of gals at the LQS, which puts me behind in my "real life job" but oh well ...

Archived