customer payment

I'm with Kristina. When customers ask if I need a deposit I tell them their quilt top is the deposit!

On occasion I've had customers hand me cash up front for half and then pay the balance with a check --my evil mind assumes it's because they don't want their better half to know how much they spend on their "hobby"!

After the quilt is quilted--I liked Heidi's comment--if they don't pay, I sure hope I like their quilt. And Linda, your mind isn't evil at all--I recently had a customer do exactly that with a custom job--she paid me $200 in cash up front (and freely admitted she was doing it so her husband wouldn't know how much the quilting was costing). When I delivered the quilt she paid me another $100 in cash and the remainder in a check. :P

I require a Minimal $50.00 Non-Refundable Deposit to secure a place on my calendar.

My customers actually like that.

Have been told it makes it seem like they are getting a deal when they pick up

as they already have the deposit paid.

I also let them make payments on the balance so they can break it up.

Agreed to do a custom right before Christmas. Blocked out 2 weeks to work on it.

Had to turn away quite a few E2Es. Customer decided she didnt want the work done

2 days before I started! So lost the Custom job as well as all the work I had turned down!

Lesson learned.

$50.00 NON-Refundable Deposit.

I would think that 4th quarter placements are especially important to forecast your schedule. My former quilter would allow me to block time in November or so in advance if I was still piecing the qult for a Christmas gift. She was so wonderful! I look at some of the work she did for me now that I've been doing my own and am amazed at her skill. Her curves and points are perfect. You can't see start and stops etc.

I think I'll send her a card and say thanks again!

Me too - payment when they pick up the finished quilt. So far, I haven't had anyone flake out on me (hope I didn't just jinx myself, LOL)

However, I'm going to start doing T-shirt quilts at the first of the year. I'll be piecing and quilting them, so I may ask for a deposit of half up front to help cover my purchase of sashing & piecing fabrics, stabalizer for the shirts, etc.

Archived