My First Quilt--Let's See Yours!

Hi Everyone,

In a different thread, I mentioned that some newbies are hesitant to actually post photos of their first quilting projects on our Forum because they don't feel their work is up to par with the more experienced members of the group. So, I thought it would be fun to start a post that showed your first quilt, just to put things in perspective and help everyone see that we all start with humble beginnings, and practice does pay dividends. :)

I'll start it out with photos of my first quilt below. It was made when I was 16 or 17...I have always been "crafty" but was forced to teach myself many skills being a lefty. I took a liking to a package of pre-cut squares at our local five-and-dime store where I loved to spend my allowance on craft supplies. Didn't know anything about sewing in particular, but figured you just lined them up and took off..how hard could it be?

I'm sure you'll admire the wonderful yellow sheet I bought for the backing, along with the very "creative" way I chose to finish the edges since I didn't know any better than to "make it up" as I went along. I think the corner treatments are particularly charming. :P . Thank goodness I've learned a thing or two since then.

Well, we still use that quilt at all the football games, so while it ain't pretty, it's still serviceable. Have a gander and a chuckle at my very first quilt! :)

Let's see yours!

post-1370-0-93545500-1354640370_thumb.jp

post-1370-0-42068700-1354640371_thumb.jp

post-1370-0-92808100-1354640371_thumb.jp

Dawn, for your first quilt at such a young age, I think it turned out great!

My first quilting experience was inspired by the "pioneer days" our Girl Scout troop was involved in back in the 1990s where we held an event and made butter and did things like they might have done in the 1800's. After my Girl Scout leader days were over, I thought it would be fun to take up a hobby inspired by the pioneers and I made cold processed soaps and sold soap for a few years at craft shows. The next craft was candles, which didn't last quite as long as soaps because I started getting bad sinus infections from all the overpowering scent when mixing hot wax and candle fragrances. Those I only make occasionally now. The next craft to follow was quilting!!

The first quilt I made is one my husband loves to use because of the feel of it and I think maybe because it is my first. It has a lightweight batting, Hobbs Heirloom cotton?, and the backing is a high quality muslin so it feels like expensive sheets to him, nice and cool. He is usually hot-blooded so that's another reason he likes this one. It has been loved for a lot of years and we don't go camping without it (he always asks, did you put my quilt in the trailer? LOL). Most winter nights he can be found in his recliner with his quilt, remote control in hand. It's rather ugly now (probably always was! LOL) and has been in the washer a lot!

I started putting this one together two years before it got completed, and I quilted it using my embroidery stitches on my Pfaff Jeans & Satin sewing machine that I later passed on to my daughter. I never thought I would finish this quilt but when I did, I was hooked. Funny, but I don't remember my second quilt at all ...

post-5206-0-84790300-1354641771_thumb.jpg

post-5206-0-65924500-1354641780_thumb.jpg

post-5206-0-70323800-1354641797_thumb.jpg

Dawn,

Your timing with this post is perfect. I am such a newbie and am wondering just how long it will take for me to produce the graceful, perfect curves that I see posted here everyday. Right now my CC's look more like link sausages and I insult all birds when I attempt even very small, simple feathers.. Any tips for improving my skills on my non-stitch regulated Ult. XX would be greatly appreciated. I draw and I practice, but it seems like my machine has a mind of its own. I am looking forward to seeing photos from others who have been where I am right now.

This wasn't my first quilt, but it was my first attempt at custom longarming. It was done in 2007 and I keep it because I can see how far I have come!! BTW, my 1st pantograph has a gap from not moving it forward correctly. I still have that quilt too:) Enjoy the view!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edna807/8245933150/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edna807/8245936066/

I don't have pictures of my first quilt, but I've seen our granddaughter using it at her home so it's still living on from 20 years ago. That one had 4" squares in a pattern like trip around the world (I think that is the right name) but I had no idea it was an actual pattern when I made it. This quilt is my first long armed one shortly after I got my machine a couple years ago, nothing fancy and just a meander. What I notice now is that when I finished quilting it the meander size had changed to half the size I had started at - I was so paranoid about getting smooth curves that I totally forgot to watch what I was doing. However, now I know that I much more prefer to do smaller stitching freehand than bigger open designs. I guess my first meander was a hint of my style. I still don't believe my quilting is any where good enough to show, but I thank Dawn for giving me the bravery to show it anyway.

I don't have pictures of my first full size quilt it isn't finished :wacko: I didn't want all of the hand work on it quilted over so I am hand quilting it. I started it before I had even heard of APQS or custom quilting. I had only seen over all quilting and I knew that is not what I wanted for my quilt. I have thought about taking it all out and loading it on my machine but just can't do it I have too many hours in it. The first machine quilt I did my BIL said it looked like a big mess to him but my grandbabies love it :P .

If I can figure out how to post this is my first quilt I did on my longarm.

Wow Connie, for not having a base, you did an amazing job around the bear paws! You have a steady hand.

Marci, you don't need bravery...your quilt is wonderful!

Charlotte, I love the way you wandered around the stars...they really puff out and become a focal point!

Bonnie, what a cool way to finish a rail fence quilt. The variety of embroidery stitches had to be fun to do...so many times we never get to use them, but when we bought the machine we just "had" to have them! :)

I have two I'd like to share. The first is a pillow that I made in 1981, my first block ever! My husband still uses this pillow every night! He took it with him when he deployed and for whatever reason it has always been his. I remember taking this piece with me to the fabric store to find the piping and the lady that worked there wanted to see my quilting, which I proudly showed. She took one look at it and said, "Oh I thought quilting was supposed to be tiny stitches." LOL yup mine looks more like basting stitches but I have to say at least they have stood the test of time! Oh and the fabric was a poly blend too, shutter!

OK the 2nd quilt is my very first quilt and I made it for my daughter. She was 18 months old when I finsihed it and it was on her bed until she got too cool for it, about 10. It was after that she told me she wanted "to go to the store and buy a real quilt." LOL notice all the unquilted areas? I did the diagnoal lines in the background and didn't even SID around the blocks! It too was hand quilted. I hand quilted until I started machine quilting about 6 years ago. LOL Still makes me smile though. This was the start of my quilting bug!

post-2404-0-73689600-1354751796_thumb.jpg

post-2404-0-09262500-1354751831_thumb.jpg

I remember realizing that straight lines would be easier for me, because there was only one direction to go. I also realized early on that organic shapes from nature, like flowers and grasses, looked better because they are naturally wiggly, compared to a quilted feather or other design shape. I stayed away from feathers for many years. It is dark now, but I will try to take and post a photo tomorrow.

what a kick looking at all of these pictures, I dont have any of my first ones, but their memories are seared in my brain! my first quilt was made in the early 80's. it was a sampler, and the rows didn't match- so i (gasp) cut off part of the row to fit. my second one was made from left over curtain material that my mom had given me, she still has it some where. the third one was a little better, I sewed the top to the back, turned it inside out and tied it with yard. I'm laughing and cringing as I write this.

The concept of matching corners, flat seams and a keeping a square quilt and even knowing that things like quilt shops existed were like major reevaluations! Even knowing what a long arm was came many years later. Now I feel like I can make any quilt and do it perfectly. but I am still a newbie at longarming, I've learned a lot from the people on this forum, it is a wealth of information and inspiration!

8249474019_f7bbb523eb.jpg

FirstQuiltTensionProbs by LadyLakeQuilting, on Flickr

When I first started longarming, I often used PolyQuilter (very thick) with Aurifil 40 wt. cotton in bobbin. This is the back of one of my first quilts. I didn't care so much about the bottom tension -- so long as the tension looked okay on top.

8250541402_03a3c7e42c.jpg

FirstQuiltStraightLines by LadyLakeQuilting, on Flickr

This is one of my first quilts, the first time using a ruler. It had lots of bumpy seams and a flannel back. I was not using an extended base and was pushing down on the ruler with all my might, not realizing that was why the quilt was not moving smoothly under the machine. I didn't care if the lines were wobbly or not 1/4" -- I was just glad to be making lines on the longarm. This was also PolyQuilter Thread. I didn't realize when I started that it is easier to use thinner threads -- I was going for the handquilted look.

8249472357_11027b150e.jpg

FirstQuiltEchoing by LadyLakeQuilting, on Flickr

This is the same quilt. Having realized that making organic shapes from nature was easier to quilt than perfectly curving quilt designs, I decided to go for a mixed woodland meander. The leaves don't look too bad, except the rectagular leaf toward the top; it was my first try at echoing that didn't turn out too well, including the straight line which followed the rectagular leaf.

Oh well. These two quilts I actually use on my bed and love them, imperfections and all.

I made my first quilt for my first (and only as yet) Grandson as a play mat.....didn't get used that much back then (12/13 years ago). It now resides on the back of the small bed settee in my studio.....not that anyone ever gets to sleep in my studio....????

It's Debbie Mum fabrics front and back .....I started to hand quilt it on a botched up frame that I made myself and still have but may need some modification if I ever use it again. I got impatient and finished the outer border with straight line machine quilting....didn't know about a walking foot back then. Chopped of the points of my triangles with the binding?

Looking at it now I am quite pleased with it but disappointed that I didn't finish the hand quilting....I think I need to start a hand quilting project to do over Christmas.

8252308463_6e5b699593_z.jpg

See that....edited to say I've had this quilt 13 years and just noticed from this photo that I missed a bit of quilting.... darn it.....not doing it now....lol...

8253378912_01c4e0ec3a_z.jpg

Wow, Kay, that's really a stunning first quilt!

Joan, I so love that you threw caution to the wind and only worried about the front looking good on your first projects. It reminds me of my dad who, during his bachelor days, would only iron the front of his shirts thinking that the first time he sat down the back would wrinkle and no one would see it anyway. :) I think your leaves look wonderful!

In 2008 I was off work for a few weeks for health reasons...I did a lot of googling on my laptop while resting.... I sew drapery and Roman blinds and have boxes of gorgeous silk scraps, which I could never bring myself to throw away...I researched quilting to see if one could quilt with silk...I cut some squares up and sewed them together...of course I did not stabilize or back it so the squares did fray a lot...I put together a table runner and fell in love with patchwork...I can't believe it but i have to say the table runner is still only a top and I have not finished it....almost at the same time I started to work on a Christmas quilt...didn't have a pattern,,,just made it up as I went along...bought way too much fabric and so I made 2...finished one for my niece for Christmas and the other top is still waiting to be quilted....then in 09 I took my first...and only quilting class, and completed my Irish chain..

The first year I started a new project every time I saw something I loved...of course it didn't matter that nothing was getting finished.... I started a grandmother's flower garden...still in progress...an appliqué quilt...now in the quilting line up...a paper piece quilt...also waiting for Lucey...Dear Jane...long way to go...what was i thinking??? ...more appliqué...Batik quilt ...tried to follow a pattern from a magazine...of course i messed it up....cut my pieces the FiINISHED size instead of unfinished....did i know that 1/4 inch was going to make that big a difference?? So, i changed it up and redesigned it...still havent completed it...My first year i also decided i needed a new sewing machine..so i bought a brand new Janome ..of course...I needed it so I could do free motion quilting...

The same year I decided to quilt with the students at school so I started a quilting club...kids earn community service hours and we make quilts for day cares and hospitals...and so my love affair with quilting grew stronger...this year Lucey came into my life and although I don't have a lot of extra time..... after teaching,sewing drapery etc...I look forward to more quilting in the future...

Oh the feathered star photo...this was my first try at paper per piecing...it is Sue Garman Stars for a New Day..was the 2009 BOM on The Quilt Show...I started it in 2010...and just finished the top...Have you noticed how slow I am..?

i have added a couple of pics of my wonderful students...my sister comes in once a week to help me with them...believe it or not, I have had lots of boys interested in quilting too..they are great kids!

post-6000-0-60805100-1355360365_thumb.jpg

post-6000-0-11964900-1355360522_thumb.jpg

post-6000-0-79825000-1355360562_thumb.jpg

post-6000-0-19388800-1355360751_thumb.jpg

post-6000-0-04826300-1355426927_thumb.jpg

post-6000-0-50739900-1355426973_thumb.jpg

Tella,

What a wonderful quilting journey you are on...and it's even better that you're sharing your newfound passion with your students! We need more young people to join the ranks of quilters!

If the star was your first attempt at paper piecing, you've done an amazing job! Most of us can relate to the mishaps that occur when me move into the quilting arena from other sewing endeavors. My first quilt had 1/2 inch seam allowances because that was the mark on the needle plate to follow!

We're so glad Lucey has come to live with you. Keep up the fantastic work, and enjoy the journey!

Archived