Black and White Quilt

This is a fairly new quilter who wanted to make a big quilt for her son and DIL. She made up the pattern, so the squares weren't a normal size. To get the nine patches to work, she just cut them to fit so they weren't the same sizes either. She actually took an inner border of 7 inches off the quilt. Fortunately, because I could never have quilted it on my 12 foot frame. As it was the quilt ended up being 116 by118. I helped her as much as I could over the phone, since she moved to South Carolina last year. There are two quilt shops in her area, but they weren't able to help her. I had to put some big pleats in the borders, but I hid them in the beadboard and seam lines.

She wanted hearts in the white blocks and fortunately I remembered a design Heidi did. I used Superior's magnifico thread.

8351341150_b8d91caf38.jpg

Front by LibbyG7, on Flickr

8351340304_a847b1773b.jpg

Heart center by LibbyG7, on Flickr

This is the first time I've used a light color on a dark background. I chalked the spine, but after looking at it finished, I wish I would have quilted it in or not done a wavy spine. It looked OK on the quilt, but the picture would've looked better.

8351339056_01c85538cf.jpg

Inner borders by LibbyG7, on Flickr

8351334354_b7dca16a59.jpg

Back by LibbyG7, on Flickr

Archived