Wholesale Batting Sources?

juliagraves

Hi Julia,

Have you tried E.E. Schenk? They're in Portland, Oregon, and very helpful. Website is www.eeschenk.com I think they're initial minimum purchase is $250, but that's easy to do with a roll of batting and some thread. It's also a good place for fabric for backing, I usually find some "crafty cottons" for $1.99 a yard.

Hope that helps, Beth

Dear Julia

I use only Quilter's Dream (unless a customer supplies their own). The people at QD are great..........wholesale only, no min. orders and lots of choices.

They do require a state tax ID #...not just EIN (federal #)

I just got a call from them last week to see if I was happy with their services. Believe me, I'm one of their smallest customers being that I'm new at LA quilting so that was pretty nice their part.

You can reach them at www.quiltersdreambatting.com or 757 463-3264. Ask and they will send you a package of samples and price list.

I spoke with the people at Hobbs, but they wanted a min order of $250. Besides I think Hobbs is toooo dusty. So I didn't purchase from them.

For poly I stick with QD...their Poly or Dream Blend.

Guess I'm hooked on them. I'm sure lots of the other LAers out there can give you more info on other products they like and how to get in touch with them.

Kate Myers

Wears Valley

Sevierville.TN

Hi Julia,

I usually get my wholesale Hobbs 80/20 from Linda's Electric Quilters(lequilters.com). That's Linda Taylor's company. I haven't bought any in almost a year though, so I haven't done a recent cost comparison. There are a few other places to buy it wholesale, but at the time Linda's Electric Quilters was the least expensive.

Jill Kerekes

Julia,

There is also Hobbs Bonded Fibers. There is a minimum purchase so if you need a lot to start with you could go there. I think it is a 4 box/roll minimum, which stinks, but I have done it. If you want Hobbs and don't want a ton then Jill is right go to Linda's.

Kate is correct too, Quilter's Dream people are good to work with and there is no minimum and their batting is, in my opinion, the best.

My 2 cents,

Mary Beth

I'm just putting in my first big order with Hobbs Bonded Fibers. Seems like a lot of batting to order all at once, but having looked back over the last two years, I've easily gone through that much batting in a year. It's been mostly convenient to have my hubby pick it up at EESchenk's for me a roll at a time when he's in Portland so often but that isn't going to work for everyone. And a few times I've wondered if I was going to run out before we made it back. We're 150 miles away, even from Central OR.

Other quilters I know will split orders from Hobbs if that helps and they now have the Tuscany line of pre-packaged batts that are sold as eaches with a minimum $100 order.

While I'll quilt anything a customer brings to me I really prefer Hobbs 80/20 over all others and use it about 80% of the time. The new SILK batting is to die for!!! Pricey of course, but has it's place in the market as well.

When I use batting from my studio I charge the customer double my cost, including the shipping and they are still getting a good price. I calculate the sq. inches 5 inches longer and wider than the top to assure plenty of coverage, add that to their invoice and no one has ever questioned my price. I've sold nearly a roll of Wool as well.

~~ Eva H.

Hi Julia:

I too use Quilter's Dream. I found out about it at Innovations 2005. I like their Poly Select and 70/30 blend. The poly has just the right amount of loft and the 70/30 is clean & smooth.

I sell it to my costomers and they never complain of the price - it is far superior batting than most.

The staff at Quilter's Dream are great people to deal with.

I buy direct from Hobbs and Quilters Dream. Yes - for hobbs you have the

4 roll / box min. but I always need the 80/20 - one roll in each width, a Poly

down lite, and then its easy to fill-out the order with a box of Black Poly or

some of the thin stuff for hand quilting... Need to try some of that this time!

I buy direct from Warm & Natural. Their service is fast and reliable. They have never been out of anything. I have soft & bright poly, warm & white, warm & nat (both sizes), and soft & black poly which I have used only once. I think the mim is $150. Just google to find the website. I use a REALLY cheap poly on the charity quilts that I get at the LQS.

• 1 year later...

I use them all, my favorite is Quilters Dream 70/30, and they come in different ranges, nice people to do business with.

I like to use Hobbs 80/20, looks good, light, drapeable and nice for heirloom look. Not as warm compared to other brands, I have not tried wholesale yet because I could buy some from Michaels with coupon, I bought some from Road to California 2008 show.

I like their black 80/20 also

Love their wool blend

I have silk, saving it for a very special project

Warm and natural/white I like for general uses, quilt class projects when I teach, I endorse it to my students because of the ease of use (very stable and not too stretchy )

I get it from my local fabric store for 40% coupon, I dont use it as much anymore because it doesnt give definition to the quilting.

Corey

APQS Millenium

Sister, Sister

Longarm Quilting

I order from Hobbs, Warm and Natural and Quilters Dream. We all know longarmers in our area, if they have a Tax ID number order with them. My sister and I get up to 10 rolls at a time.

It really keeps the cost down on the shipping.

I think I went through probably 1o plus rolls myself this past year, I should add them up, I was just looking at tax stuff! YUCK!!!

I'm partial to Quilter's Dream. They're very easy to work with and sometimes they have "seconds" for almost nothing. I can't ever find the "speck" that makes the entire role irregular. They sell by the package, case or role. I forgot to mention that they are located a couple blocks from my house;-) in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Archived